You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Owen for £9m?

Paul

Would you take Michael Owen back for £9m?  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Would you take Michael Owen back for £9m?

Guest stephenknapp
It's not just £9M though is it? Small matter of £120,000 a week wages.

Don't forget he chose to go to the Barcodes, his choice nobody forced him, he could have hung on and refused to go. Ultimately his England place means more to him than any club he will ever play for.

Thanks for the memories but we’ve moved on, not for me thanks

Agree.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't forget he chose to go to the Barcodes, his choice nobody forced him, he could have hung on and refused to go. Ultimately his England place means more to him than any club he will ever play for.

Spot on Andrew. Your post summed up my feelings, and as for the poster comparing him to Rush - you are having a giraffe.

Rushie never turned us down to make sure he kept his international place.

he had his chance -theres no way rafa will be stung by him again, i dont knowwhy england dontjust buy him that way he will befit for all the games he so desperatly wants to play in - 3yrs ago owen was possibly liverpool - now we it spun 360 and we dont need him

Good point on the wages.

Despite what I said on the other thread, I would have him back for £9m, provided:

• He passes one hell of a medical;
  • He takes a huge pay cut, and goes along with the performance related pay system Rafa mentioned, and;
  • He's happy playing an equal role to the other three of four strikers.

With Rush, he had brothers on the Dole and for the amount of money Juve were offering he himself said he'd be daft to turn it down.

Comparisons with Owen could never stand up under that rationale.

Summarise it for us then.

Last part reads thus: "Two years ago, Owen's move to N'Castle was described in this paper as the most expensive loan deal in football history. Nothing has changed."

Interesting.

Owen is worth £9M even with his recent injuries. The metatarsal is irrelevant, but apparently the knee ligament is 'better than new'. He looks to have been on the weights and really built up his strength. I don't think he will have the explosive pace of yesteryear but he will still be fast enough. His main asset is scoring goals. He knows where the net is and he can find space and has the temperament for the big occasion. For £9M that is a bargain in the current climate.

I would ask him to take a big paycut (if he is on £120K at Newcastle then I'd want him to have no more than £80K here). I would also make sure he was clear that he is one of the 4 or 5 strikers, not the main man. It would be up to him (or any of the others) to make themselves a fixture in the team (as much as such a thing exists under Rafa).

If he could do that then he would be showing the requisite hunger and £9M would be money well spent. Whoever said £4M plus Cisse had the right idea too.