You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

We've got 4 world class centre midfielders

KopKid1990

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Momo has never been the best defensive midfielder in the world. His positioning is shite compared to someone like Makelele. He makes up for it by being so mobile and attacking anything near the ball that moves. But a player that is always in the right position defensively would do a more consistant job.

Momo still needs to work on his positioning defensively, he is generally all over the shop, not to mention he gets forward a lot more than any defensive midfielder, meaning if he was our only DM, and had attacking players all around him I don't think we would do as great defensively. The only time that has happened is when he is playing with Gerrard, whom I don't really count, as he isn't a pure attacking mid, he is a two way player like Momo. I won't even talk about Momo's attacking game. Needless to say Momo has been here two seasons and has not improved his passing one tiny bit. Don't the people who say his passing will definately improve with time find that a bit worrying? Not even a slight improvement.

Disagree with that - Momo is a great defensive midfielder, but unlike Makalele his role is not to be an anchorman and sit back but to win the ball higher up the pitch, he does this as well as any midfielder in the world IMO.

Momo has never been the best defensive midfielder in the world. His positioning is shite compared to someone like Makelele. He makes up for it by being so mobile and attacking anything near the ball that moves. But a player that is always in the right position defensively would do a more consistant job.

Momo still needs to work on his positioning defensively, he is generally all over the shop, not to mention he gets forward a lot more than any defensive midfielder, meaning if he was our only DM, and had attacking players all around him I don't think we would do as great defensively.

You seem to judge Momo on doing Xabi's job. Momo isn't a holding midfielder, that's Xabi's role in the team.

Playmakers create goals. Kaka, Ronaldinho, Maradona are playmakers. Alonso has one assist this season. His pretty much never provides the final ball which is the key role of a playmaker. His passes are to put someone in a good position to make a play/goal. He has the capability to though, but he doesn't, and it's probably the key reason why people are questioning whether he is world class or not.

Well, fuck me. I've always thought of him as a defensive playmaker. He's not then. Thanks for clearing that up.

If Alsonso is anything he is a play maker - someone who strings the passes and joins up the play between defence, midfield and the wingers. He MAKES the play happen, very much like Andrea Pirlo and Pep Guardiola. Kaka, Maradona and Ronaldhino are all attacking midfielders or link men - ones who usually receive the ball from the play maker.

If Alsonso is anything he is a play maker - someone who strings the passes and joins up the play between defence, midfield and the wingers. He MAKES the play happen, very much like Andrea Pirlo and Pep Guardiola. Kaka, Maradona and Ronaldhino are all attacking midfielders or link men - ones who usually receive the ball from the play maker.

He's getting more daring!

He's getting more daring!

Although he did say Crouch has been out best striker for two seasons yesterday, trying to throw everyone off the scent.

AS for this thread, well, noone ever agrees on world class, we couldnt even agree on the definition, never mind who fitted the bill in the thread last year!

So we've gone for a PFJ vs PJF argument about this. In my view we have four excellent central midfielders, any of the four would start for any other premiership team, with the possible exception of Chelsea. We play possesion based footie and the central area is crucial in dictating the rhythmn and tempo we play to therefore we shouldnt sell any of them, as its as important to maintain strength in depth in your key areas as it is to improve weaker areas.

Even if DIC is Rash, can everyone just stop going on about it. DIC has said nothing out of order or provocative.

Agree with that.

He definitely is Rash but it's up to Dave whether he gets banned again or not. Let's not turn this into The Rashid Way again.

Tosemi.

Oh yes, that Spanish bloke we had to ship back to the sunny country, it all comes back to my memory now. I’ll reset my memory again, better life without Josemi memories in it. Definitely albatroshish that lad.

Thank you Paul.

Tosh