You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Electrical assistance required

Bob

I have rewired a new shower at the weekend. It is now a 8.5kw shower and so is pulling around 37 Amps. I have wired in 10mm twin & earth so that is ok, but the consumer unit now needs to be modified. It is currently on (and running ok) a 30A fuse, which is an MEM cartridge type fuse. I have managed to buy a new 40A fuse but have been told that the cartridges are now obsolete. Does anyone know where/if i would be able to get a cartridge to hold a 40A fuse so that i dont either burn down my house or have to get a new consumer unit.

cheers inadvance.

I have rewired a new shower at the weekend. It is now a 8.5kw shower and so is pulling around 37 Amps. I have wired in 10mm twin & earth so that is ok, but the consumer unit now needs to be modified. It is currently on (and running ok) a 30A fuse, which is an MEM cartridge type fuse. I have managed to buy a new 40A fuse but have been told that the cartridges are now obsolete. Does anyone know where/if i would be able to get a cartridge to hold a 40A fuse so that i dont either burn down my house or have to get a new consumer unit.

cheers inadvance.

If it works with the 30amp whats the problem, im no sparky but surely it would blow the fuse before burning your house down.

If it works with the 30amp whats the problem, im no sparky but surely it would blow the fuse before burning your house down.

it would, but i thought adding the dramatic effect might get me more instant help. Apparently it will run in the 30 amp fuse for a while before it blows. I am only running it on low power for now to try and avoid the problem.

i must say i am overwhelmed by all of the help i am receiving. I must remember to come to you lot again whenever i am in a similar pickle.

Pain in the arse. Don't know exactly what you're looking for, but then I do my best to avoid electricity. Is this any help?

Not a fucking clue what you are on about, to be honest - my recommended course of action would normally be to give cash to an electrician.

However, would this be what you are looking for?

Please see my earlier response to Owen.

I hope you are a competent person as defined by Part P of the building regulations. Part P

Get yourself a 40 amp breaker/rcd unit (Shower Unit) and wire it from the switched side of the main breaker (big red switch on your consumer unit).

No, i am such a long way from competent. Thankfully i have a mate who is willing to sign it off. I say mate, its actually a former colleague who i never really liked, thats why hes not doing the works.

Using a fuse as the only protection on the circuit will only give overload protection. It is recommended that when installing or upgrading an electric shower, a 63mA rcd in fitted to provide earth leakage current.

Your consumer unit may have an rcd fitted already. If it has a Test button its an rcd.

Using a fuse as the only protection on the circuit will only give overload protection. It is recommended that when installing or upgrading an electric shower, a 63mA rcd in fitted to provide earth leakage current.

Your consumer unit may have an rcd fitted already. If it has a Test button its an rcd.

I have just re-read that and of course you all realised, I'm sure, that I meant to say provide earth leakage current protection. Anything that provides earth leakage current is generally not good.

I like quoting my own posts. I might make a habit of it.