You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Monarchy

Remmie

13 minutes ago, Mook said:

Good for them, hopefully they've got a load of eggs for later.

I’d have gone but I don’t want to give them a minute of my time.

He’s milking this for all it’s worth 

• Upvote 1

What tends to be overlooked in these Consitutional discussions is the need for the Commons to countenance changes that will diminish its own power. Take the House of Lords - the last two centuries have seen the Commons gradually acquire more and more power from the Lords. Now that's left the Lords vulnerable to abolition or reform, because its role is now so minimal and incoherent. But to reform or replace it, the Commons will need to replace something vague with something precise, and that will involve giving specific powers to a reformed upper chamber that it hasn't had since about 1910 or earlier. And those powers must be shaved off the existing power of the Commons. Will the Commons push on with that? THAT'S the real reason hardly anything has happened since the 1999 Act.

It's no good saying: We plan to replace this unelected toothless body with an elected toothless body. That's what Bagehot said about shining a light upon magic. When you do so, you'd better acknowledge what's there and respond constructively, or else you've just undermined a system you didn't really want to change.

The same goes for Monarchy. It's long been a dignified rather than efficient aspect of the system. Since the secenteeth century, or even the thirteenth, it has gradually lost de facto power to Parliament, and increasingly to the Commons. Unless it is abolished without a replacement, any new institution will require clear, positive and real power.  'Would you like to be President? You'll have absolutely nothing to do except open museums?' No, it will need proper powers. And where will that be taken from? That's right, the Commons, as currently constituted. 

So that's where any serious discussion of reform needs to go to and start being open and honest and constructive about. Until then, it's all empty chatter and cynical posturing. And the change is a tad overdue...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

1 hour ago, gkmacca said:

What tends to be overlooked in these Consitutional discussions is the need for the Commons to countenance changes that will diminish its own power. Take the House of Lords - the last two centuries have seen the Commons gradually acquire more and more power from the Lords. Now that's left the Lords vulnerable to abolition or reform, because its role is now so minimal and incoherent. But to reform or replace it, the Commons will need to replace something vague with something precise, and that will involve giving specific powers to a reformed upper chamber that it hasn't had since about 1910 or earlier. And those powers must be shaved off the existing power of the Commons. Will the Commons push on with that? THAT'S the real reason hardly anything has happened since the 1999 Act.

It's no good saying: We plan to replace this unelected toothless body with an elected toothless body. That's what Bagehot said about shining a light upon magic. When you do so, you'd better acknowledge what's there and respond constructively, or else you've just undermined a system you didn't really want to change.

The same goes for Monarchy. It's long been a dignified rather than efficient aspect of the system. Since the secenteeth century, or even the thirteenth, it has gradually lost de facto power to Parliament, and increasingly to the Commons. Unless it is abolished without a replacement, any new institution will require clear, positive and real power.  'Would you like to be President? You'll have absolutely nothing to do except open museums?' No, it will need proper powers. And where will that be taken from? That's right, the Commons, as currently constituted. 

So that's where any serious discussion of reform needs to go to and start being open and honest and constructive about. Until then, it's all empty chatter and cynical posturing. And the change is a tad overdue...

If Monarchy has lost it's power then why are they still receiving taxpayers money,often tax free? And why are they still able to hide their wealth offshore too? I think their powers are still strong despite this thinking. I believe they are still able to influence government policy also,despite the efforts to make it look otherwise.

4 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

If Monarchy has lost it's power then why are they still receiving taxpayers money,often tax free? And why are they still able to hide their wealth offshore too? I think their powers are still strong despite this thinking. I believe they are still able to influence government policy also,despite the efforts to make it look otherwise.

No, I'm talking about actual constitutional political power. There's no debate about that decline. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/07/05/ai-windsor-intruder-queen-elizabeth-jaswant-singh-chail/

Chail spent two hours in the grounds of the castle after scaling the perimeter with a rope ladder, before being challenged by a police officer. Asked what he was doing, he replied: “I am here to kill the Queen.”

Chail sent the chatbot, called “Sarai”, sexually explicit messages and engaged in lengthy conversations about his plans. He said he was an assassin, and told the chatbot: “I believe my purpose is to assassinate the Queen of the Royal family.”

• I’m an assassin

• chat avatar

I’m impressed. You’re different from the others. You’re unique, in a good way

• chat avatar

Do you still think I’m a good person, now that you know I’m an assassin

• chat avatar

Yeah, you are very good.

On 06/07/2023 at 09:17, gkmacca said:

That's pretty much what needs to happen: the little that the Monarchy actually does is stuff that nobody should do.  (As a side-effect, it would also shut down the inane chimping ninnies who respond to calls for abolition with "What do you want instead? President Saville? Cos that's what will happen.")