You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

fuck. DIC pull out ..

Barrington Womble

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ladies and Gentlemen... there we have it.

I think its vitally important we don't let the club brainwash us now through the media etc...

We know which was the better deal- we know who the better people were... the board fucked it up and must be held accountable for it.

We're being a bit selective there aren't we? I assume that you know which was the better FINAL offer because you were involved weren't you? Weren't you? There are a lot of questions to be answered here by the board to convince a lot of people but jumping to conclusions is not something I want to do right now

Apparently this Hicks fella is one Of George Bush`s largest financial backers. I feel sick to my stomach.

Well he bought that baseball team from the cretin also known as dubya, trying to see if he's been a republican party backer, only got this so far :-

http://www.whitehouseforsale.org/ContributorsAndPaybacks/pioneer_profile.cfm?pioneer_ID=789

First time I've commented on this deal going tits up but I'm really not that pissed off about it. Not sure why but I think mainly because I didn't know whether it was for the best or not, what I do know is that I've seen people on here wanking over the money DIC have and now that it's possibly gone they're acting like spoilt bastards.

I've tried to look through all 30 odd pages and I haven't seen 1 post where someone knows exactly what the deals involved but so many people are claiming the board should be sacked...don't get it at all.

Its a sad sad time for Liverpool Football Club. I dont care what spin people put on it.

In 33 pages of (mostly) thoughtful and well articulated posts, that is, by a mile, the most apposite. Unfortunately, I'm with you, mate.

In 33 pages of (mostly) thoughtful and well articulated posts, that is, by a mile, the most apposite. Unfortunately, I'm with you, mate.

I could go into why I think this but to be honest, I am just trying to ignore it all and hope it will go away.

Sadly, it doesnt look like it will.

Roll on new ground and owners and the death of everything we have enjoyed/achieved/stand for.

Again, very very sad times. I am logging off for the weekend, lets hope the players cheer me up tomorrow.

I could go into why I think this but to be honest, I am just trying to ignore it all and hope it will go away.

Sadly, it doesnt look like it will.

Roll on new ground and owners and the death of everything we have enjoyed/achieved/stand for.

Again, very very sad times. I am logging off for the weekend, lets hope the players cheer me up tomorrow.

I've got a strange feeling they will.

I've never been happy about any takeover as it basically meant we're selling our club. It was never going to be a happy time despite everyone wanting to buy billions of players.

Now we're emulating Man Utd after all the stick we've given them i'm simply just not surprised. When large amounts of money is involved in anything people get greedy.

Today on the beeb:

Gillett set to complete Reds deal

Liverpool

Liverpool have agreed a deal with American tycoon George Gillett and his takeover of the club will be completed early next week, BBC Sport understands.

It is believed that another US ice hockey club owner Tom Hicks is also backing the deal.

Until earlier this week, Dubai International Capital had been expected to buy out the Anfield club for £450m.

But DIC pulled out of talks after Liverpool said they wanted to consider a rival bid from Gillett.

The Gillett offer is understood to be more lucrative for shareholders but chief executive Rick Parry has insisted that money was not the motive for considering an alternative to DIC.

It also includes a commitment to finance a new stadium, thus ruling out the possibility of a ground-share with Everton.

Gillett, who owns the National Hockey League side Montreal Canadiens, has impressed Liverpool with his proposals and the speed at which he completed due diligence - the process of investigation by potential investors - in three days.

The 68-year-old American has also stressed his experience in running successful sporting operations.

However, the Independent has claimed that Gillett's business empire collapsed in 1992, leading to a £33.7m personal bankruptcy.

Hicks owns rival NHL franchise Dallas Stars as well as the Texas Rangers baseball team.

been reading up a bit on tom hicks, my heart just sank reading the other thread saying the deal has gone through. this hicks has given millions over the years to Bush. Leaving the actual deal aside due to lack of detail it's upsetting that we have someone like that involved in our club.

been reading up a bit on tom hicks, my heart just sank reading the other thread saying the deal has gone through. this hicks has given millions over the years to Bush. Leaving the actual deal aside due to lack of detail it's upsetting that we have someone like that involved in our club.

Are American right-wing ethics any better/worse than those of Dubai?

DIC made an official offer for the club which Moores accepted in principle. If it was me, i'd be mightily pissed off that someone had accepted an offer unofficially and then was taking so much time deciding whether to accept a rival bid. It's just not ethically sound is it? Fair enough considering another bid, but it's clear we didn't keep DIC informed of the situation and just delayed.

Do you seriously believe that Gillette has only realised now that a groundshare is a no go? We've ALWAYS said it's not an option, yet he conveniently adds this change of tact on top of a bid worth an extra grand to shareholders. And even if, as you say, he's changed his tune for a tactical reason, that still worries me greatly. Wouldn't you think that he could just change his mind again once he's got control?

I'm not saying I know anything more than anyone else, it just worries me that we've conducted our business in such an amateurish manner.

Oh, and my name's Ian ;-)

Paul, sorry Brownie, sorry Ian ;-)

DIC have never made an official bid at any point. If they had LFC under the takeover panel have to announce it. They may have made an unofficial one, but that's not worth a wank. Until they put a full official bid in, LFC leggally as well as morally to the rest of the other shareholders (and the club) need to keep their options open. Even DIC admitted in their press conference that David Moores was in favour of their bid and only the board was the stumbling block. So considering Moores owns 51% of the club, could they not leave it with Moores for a few days more to smooth out? They had after all taken 2 months to complete due dilegence.

I'm in no way saying I think Gillett is suddenly a better offer - I have no idea as I don't know the details, but then nobody knew the details of the DIC deal. In fact, the only details that got in to the press via the leak to the torygraph before the new year, everyone stuff their fingers in their ears, went "nah nah nah it's not happening" and quickly ignored everything that was said. That painted a very dim picture of DIC and one we'd have been lucky enough to miss out on. Was it the right picture? Who knows, this is the point. Everything up to now has been all about press manipulation by LFC and DIC to make DIC look like the perfect suitors even if perhaps they were not. They have been on a 2 month charm offensive and even managed to leak that document to the torygraph in the middle of it, which perhaps suggests they're not as super profesional as they think they are.

All in all having to sell up at all is pretty unpaletable to me. I really don't understand why we can't finance the new stadium on a combination of loans and naming rights like arsenal have done. But for whatever reason the board and in particular David Moores and Rick Parry think that is not possible. As far as I'm concerned anyone we end up with is a potential risk. All this shite about "the death fo the game/club" is all fucking arse. The game has changed and is not the same game I started to watch anyway. But I'm sure fellas who'd gone from the 50's were saying the same when everyone was kicking shite out of each other in the 70s' and 80's. Things change, it's the way it goes. Either get on board with where it's going or get off - i may still choose to get off. Some people are quick to forget how our club was formed in the 1st place - it was formed because a business man wanted to make a few bob out of his investment. No different to whichever person takes over the club now.

And finally, for all this crying about Gillett, what has everyone who follows hockey said about Gillett? He's come in, took the club over and pretty much allowed the sporting people get on with what they do. Isn't that really what we all want out of an owner? Is that not exactly what Shankly thought an owner should do? Too many people were hoping DIC were the Maktoums and would go into a financial war with Abramovich. Personally that's the last thing I wanted anyway. I just want a owner who is in the background, letting the people who run the club run it and we just get our new stadium out of it .

People with that sort of cash are always going to having some skeletons in the closet.

Him giving cash to Bush means fuck all to me. I can remember who posted it but why was everyone calling DIC the saviours and Gillett and Hicks the Devil when no-one knows what this new deal entails.

In my opinion DIC were going to sell us on after 7 years. There was a document which proved that they were trying to bring other investors onboard and were not in it for the long haul.

Obviously i have reservations about this new takeover bid as like many on here i would rather stay as we are but i will give Gillett the benefit of the doubt until ive seen the proposal made.

2 February 2007

EXCLUSIVE: FURIOUS SHEIKHS: KOP HAS NO HONOUR

By Neil McLeman

THE Dubai Royal family ordered their investment company to pull out of a deal to buy Liverpool as they believe the Anfield board had acted “dishonourably”.

Dubai International Capital ended takeover talks in fury after Liverpool decided to consider a rival bid from US sports tycoon George Gillett. And the move was made not by executives negotiating the £450million buy-out, but from within Sheikh Mohammed’s ruling Al Maktoum family.

The revelation, accompanied by widespread anger in the Gulf State, makes any chance of resurrecting the deal seem impossible.

A source in Dubai said last night: “The decision came from the top. There was a verbal agreement to buy the club and a handshake made with Mr (David) Moores (Liverpool chairman). They thought they had a deal. They consider Liverpool acted dishonourably and they did not want to be drawn into an auction. They felt Liverpool were taking the mickey. Led by chief executive Sameer Al Ansari, a self-confessed Liverpool fan, the DIC had completed due diligence of the Anfield books.

Chairman and majority stakeholder David Moores and his chief executive, Rick Parry, had granted the investment company, owned by Dubai’s ruling Al Maktoum family, the exclusive right to study the club’s books despite interest from Gillett.

The DIC was willing to fund a £200m 60,000-seat stadium and cover long-term debts of about £80m.

But with the American, a former owner of the Harlem Globetrotters, then making a higher offer, Tuesday’s Anfield board meeting decided to delay rubber-stamping the Dubai offer.

Gillett is being joined in his bid by Tom Hicks, owner of Texas Rangers baseball team. He has wide experience in the US construction industry.