You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

20m for hargreaves ...

Barrington Womble

Guest Far and Tether

Hargreaves is a good player, he'll work his nuts off for you, so he has that drive that Fergie loves. And alongside Carrick, Rio, G. Nev, Rooney and (sort of) Scholes, there's an England camaraderie already established. Plus, he's a lot more likely to adapt quickly to the Prem than, say, a Mascherano (who I prefer as a player). As a Canadian, I've paid more attention to Hargreaves than many over there, and I never agreed with those little Englanders who gave him so much stick: he's good, not great.

That's the good news.

The bad news is: he's a jack of all trades, a deluxe Phil Neville as someone pointed out above, he's coming back from a serious injury so no guarantees that he'll even be as good as he was before, and £20 million is sheer insanity. I've given up caring about the money United splash on players they've targeted (and stubbornly won't take no for an answer when the selling club holds out) -- it's their money, if they want to be stupid, let them. Fuck Glazer.

I would have preferred Mascherano, with one proviso: he hasn't shown much at West Ham, albeit with few opportunities, but he might struggle to adapt as quickly as a Hargreaves.

If I were to boil it down, I'd say: the most underwhelming United transfer saga of recent years, would much prefer us to start looking at replacing Giggs and Scholes than further acquiring defensive midfielders. He's a nice option, but a £20 million option? Madness.

Despicable leach who used our great country; weaned from the glorified air of the Chinook that sweeps down from the Rocky Mountains to the Prairies encompassing Calgary, where he learned his football. Turncoat.

Did Radzinski play for Poland? Did Stalteri play for Italy? Eh, tu Owen your treachery will forever beguile you. I've already written Prime Minister Harper, whose riding Calgary South is not far from where little Owen first played for the Calgary Foothills, to deport his family back to Derby.

Is it not enough we bailed your sorry asses out from Vimy Ridge, provided our young as a testing ground at Dieppe for the Normandy Landings and let you have all the cod from God in Newfoundland for 400 years. And you let that Swedish skirt chaser nick our midfielder? Drained our Great Land of beavers, swindled the Red Man and had the poor Inuit chasing the shadows of Sir John Franklin for years. Oh how shocked Samuel Hearne was at Bloody Falls on the Coppermine River. Oh if only he lived to see the fate of the poor Dhirvishes.

And the topper, the absolute topper, you beat the French and let them stay!

Mon Dieu! Au Secours! Je me souviens!

Guest Far and Tether
Despicable leach who used our great country; weaned from the glorified air of the Chinook that sweeps down from the Rocky Mountains to the Prairies encompassing Calgary, where he learned his football. Turncoat.

Did Radzinski play for Poland? Did Stalteri play for Italy? Eh, tu Owen your treachery will forever beguile you. I've already written Prime Minister Harper, whose riding Calgary South is not far from where little Owen first played for the Calgary Foothills, to deport his family back to Derby.

Is it not enough we bailed your sorry asses out from Vimy Ridge, provided our young as a testing ground at Dieppe for the Normandy Landings and let you have all the cod from God in Newfoundland for 400 years. And you let that Swedish skirt chaser nick our midfielder? Drained our Great Land of beavers, swindled the Red Man and had the poor Inuit chasing the shadows of Sir John Franklin for years. Oh how shocked Samuel Hearne was at Bloody Falls on the Coppermine River. Oh if only he lived to see the fate of the poor Dhirvishes.

And the topper, the absolute topper, you beat the French and let them stay!

Mon Dieu! Au Secours! Je me souviens!

Ha ha. Beaver draining. I like the sound of that. I'll concede you all the above, but Calgary is still Satan's Festering Taint. Fair play to Owen for throwing it in the faces of those oil-soaked rednecks: the only good thing to come out of Alberta (aside from the Trans Canada) was Ralph Klein's recent joke about Belinda Stronach.

Ha ha. Beaver draining. I like the sound of that. I'll concede you all the above, but Calgary is still Satan's Festering Taint. Fair play to Owen for throwing it in the faces of those oil-soaked rednecks: the only good thing to come out of Alberta (aside from the Trans Canada) was Ralph Klein's recent joke about Belinda Stronach.

Going to miss old Ralph. Was really in form when he was on the ale.

I hope deGuzman (at Feyenoord) plays for Canada. Still, we'll lose at Swangard to El Salvador or Panama.

Guest Far and Tether
Going to miss old Ralph. Was really in form when he was on the ale.

I hope deGuzman (at Feyenoord) plays for Canada. Still, we'll lose at Swangard to El Salvador or Panama.

That's about right. Do you remember when Ralph went into the homeless shelter pissed as fuck and started ranting and throwing twenty dollar bills around? Ha ha.

Then again, I can't really throw stones at Alberta when you look back at BC provincial politics.

That's about right. Do you remember when Ralph went into the homeless shelter pissed as fuck and started ranting and throwing twenty dollar bills around? Ha ha.

Then again, I can't really throw stones at Alberta when you look back at BC provincial politics.

He had his limo pull over if I remember.

Only in BC could Bingo bring down a government. VanderZalm was a loon as well and Gordon Campbell getting nicked in Hawaii for drunk driving was good.

Raplhie when he was mayor of Calgary and ranted that his jails were 'full of drunken Eastern bums'. Who's laughing now, half of Newfoundland is working in Ft. McMurray and without those 'Eastern bums' they'd have no one to run the province.

Who could live somewhere where they can't keep the liquor stores stocked?

Guest Far and Tether
He had his limo pull over if I remember.

Only in BC could Bingo bring down a government. VanderZalm was a loon as well and Gordon Campbell getting nicked in Hawaii for drunk driving was good.

Raplhie when he was mayor of Calgary and ranted that his jails were 'full of drunken Eastern bums'. Who's laughing now, half of Newfoundland is working in Ft. McMurray and without those 'Eastern bums' they'd have no one to run the province.

Who could live somewhere where they can't keep the liquor stores stocked?

Ha ha. Back in the Vander Zalm days, they used to sell all these buttons ("badges" for you Britishers) everywhere, with slogans like "Librarians Against Vander Zalm" or "Social Workers Against Vander Zalm" or "Construction Workers Against Vander Zalm", etc, etc (you get the drift). The only ones you could find that were for Vander Zalm said this: "Pig Fuckers For Vander Zalm".

I've always liked Hargreaves: he's very fast, has superb stamina (the equal of Big Mo's, in my opinion) and is very disciplined in terms of his position. However, £20m is a joke. I just wonder if this is the start of yet another explosion in transfer fees with journeymen players changing hands for eight figure sums. I mean West Ham and Villa slugging it out for Young at roughly £10m and now this. I think the imminent 60% hike in TV income for Premiership clubs has gone to their heads - or maybe they're just buying now, before these players cost 60% more next season!