You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Starting 11

Chris

• 5 years later...
Well, let's look at it...

Jerzy v Pepe = Pepe

Greg v Dossena = Probably the new lad, but dunno yet

Sami v Agger = Sami

Steph v Carra = Carra, but Steph was fucking awesome

Marcus v Arbeloa = Marcus

Didi vs Mascherano = again, not much in it.

Gerrard vs Gerrard = Gerrard

Murphy vs Kuyt = Murphy

Riise vs Babel = Babel

Owen vs Keane = Owen

Diouf vs Torres = Torres

Mix it together, you have

Pepe

Marcus Carra Sami Dossena

Murphy Gerrard Didi/Masch Babel

Owen Torres.

In fairness you should compare Torres to Owen and Keane to Diouf. Kuyt is clearly better than Murphy was. You clearly have an agenda, so I won't say anymore.;)

What has Dossena done to be classed as being better than Vignal? Other than costing £7m and not being Gregory fucking Vignal. As Chris said, h's probably better but we don't know yet. Dossena may turn out to be fucking awful for all we know.

Agreed.

But he did look good in the first half against Lazio.

Was really impressed with his forward runs and his crossing when he got into the final third. In the second half I think they nulified Dossena quite well, by not letting him get forward as much. But I was very impressed at what he can offer going forward, as well as looking relatively tidy defensively.

Didn't Elisha Scott say when England last met up Capello was raving about Dossena saying how good he was?!

What has Dossena done to be classed as being better than Vignal? Other than costing £7m and not being Gregory fucking Vignal. As Chris said, h's probably better but we don't know yet. Dossena may turn out to be fucking awful for all we know.

That's part of the problem when it comes to new players. People build them up (Voromania anyone?) and then have the temerity to have a go at people who then point out that they aren't very good.

I hope Dossena turns out to be good, but there's no way of knowing as of yet. The real stuff starts next week and that's when we'll start to see if the likes of Dossena, Degen, Keane etc are going to cut it.

Anyone else notice how this thread was started in August 2002 but Chris wasn't a member until July 2003? *Cue x-files music*

There was a problem with that back in the day. A load of posts were lost when the forum changed and the dates also messed up too - I was registered on here before my date states.

We don't know that Dossena is awful. We know that Vignal was awful. That's why it should be an easy choice between them two;)

What agenda? I don't have any agenda.

I compared Owen to Keane because they're of a similar age now, both home grown players, both really experienced in the Premier League scoring a shed load of goals. Owen in 2002 is better than Keane in 2008. Maybe not now, but then he was European Footballer of the Year.

I compared Torres to Diouf because they were big name foreign players renowned for their skill and technical ability, that arrived with a big reputation and a lot of expectation. Seemed like the most apt comparison to make really.

Seems that anyone who tries to make a logical point about the past or about another club has an agenda against Rafa? 'sake.

Danny Murphy ruled for us. More skillful than Kuyt, a better footballer than Kurt, a better and more prolific goalscorer than Kuyt, a better finisher than Kuyt and far more intelligent as a player than Kuyt.

Dossena vs Vignal? Like I say, it's likely that this lad will be better, but I haven't seen him play yet.

But y'all believe everything in the garden is rosy now and it'll be fine.

Maybe you didn't have an agenda, I don't know, but to me it seemed like you had.

I think you should compare the best players then against the best players now. That makes it a more fair comparison. It really doesn't matter if he's foreign or homegrown, when we talk about improvement I think you should compare quality to quality in each position. That's why I think you should be comparing Torres vs Owen and Keane vs Diouf.

About Kuyt vs Murphy, we just disagree.

Sorry about the agenda-comment, wasn't meant to be taken very seriously, but seems like it was uncalled for.

And Vignal was actually pretty good for us, certainly up until he broke his foot. The fact he's been shite everywhere he's been since, and he was a bit of a knob, doesn't change that.

The Pit, September 2001 - Riise and Vignal ripped the BS a new one down the left with the Ginger Maestro scoring a cracking goal.

Vignal looked to be the DB's that day. Sadly, it wasn't to be.

I still don't get what your point is? Fine, compare Owen to Torres then. But then that suits your agenda? Surely?

You should compare the best players in each position to eachother.

If you compare our central defence to Uniteds like this;

Ferdinand vs Hyypiä - Ferdinand

Vidic vs Carra - Carra

Brown vs Agger - Agger

O'Shea vs Skrtel - Skrtel

We win 3-1, we have clearly the best central defenders?

Understand? It's not about it fitting my Agenda or not, it's about making a fair comparison. That's my opinion, anyway.

My 11 from them 2 teams would be

Reina/Jerzy - Pepe, no contest

Babbel/Al - Babbel, no contest, he was fucking awesome.

Carra/Henchoz - Carra, top class which Steph never quite was.

Agger/Hyypia - Agger, better on the ground and will be the best CB in the league soon.

Aurelio/Vignal - Seen as we can't judge Dosenna and i love Fabio, he gets in. Vignal was ok from what i remember though.

Gerrard/Gerrard

Masch/Didi - Masch, he's better than Didi ever was despite what some may argue. Best in the world in his position by a distance.

Kuyt/Murphy - Kuyt. More consistant and has been great there for us in 2008. Tight one though.

Babel/Riise - Babel, again no contest. Talent vs a ginger long distance runner.

Torres/Owen - Torres, better in every area than Michael ever was.

Keane/Diouf - Keane. Speaks for itself

I compared Torres with Owen because they play in the same position. Both lead the line while Diouf and Keane arent out and out strikers and will/did drift around when played up front.

Our 11 is now pisses all over that team and that's without even looking at the squad players which i'm sure are more impressive now too.