You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New Anfield back on track

m0e

A MAJOR breakthrough in Liverpool FC's plans for a new stadium is revealed today.

Government officials have privately agreed to pump around £10m into the regeneration of the area around the club's planned £150m ground at Stanley Park, the ECHO has learned.

It means the Reds' stadium project is still on track after months of uncertainty.

A spokeswoman for the Northwest Development Agency, which holds the purse strings, today said no formal decision had been made.

The news of the cash boost comes a day after the ECHO revealed that property giant Peel Holdings has offered to build Everton FC a new stadium at Switch Island.

Last summer, Liverpool was told by the Northwest Development Agency it could not have £23m of taxpayers' money because £9m would be spent purely on club facilities.

Instead, the council was asked to come up with proposals to use government cash for the regeneration of the deprived Anfield and Breckfield areas.

The ECHO today learned that the council's bid has been successful, and that a grant of just under £10m is set to be rubber-stamped.

A source close to discussions said: "The agency has privately agreed to fund a sum just under £10m.

"It will not be used for the stadium itself - it will be for the regeneration of Anfield and Breckfield."

The NWDA told Liverpool last June that it cannot use public money to pay for the construction costs of the planned 60,000-seater ground.

Around £9m of the money was due to be spent on the stadium roof, soundproof wall cladding and an underground car park.

But agency officials were not opposed to Liverpool's plans for a new ground, even though they would have preferred the club to share a home with neighbours Everton.

They recognised the positive spin-offs for a new stadium for the Anfield area, including a job-creating plaza on the site of the current ground.

I expect more frustration in the transfer market as I doubt the club won't push forward with the plans due to a £13 million deficit. Either that, or the reason we've not been spending as much as we would have liked is to fund any deficit.

I don't think there's much linkage between the stadium and transfer activity in the short term.

If the stadium's too expensive then I don't think we'll build it without new capital investment.

I expect more frustration in the transfer market as I doubt the club won't push forward with the plans due to a £13 million deficit. Either that, or the reason we've not been spending as much as we would have liked is to fund any deficit.

Thats been my take on our transfer activity all along, I remember as soon as the NWDA made there decision the echo said our transfer budget was 20m wheras 2 days previous it was 30m and we didnt even spend net 20m

I give it 5 minutes before some Evertonian twat on the council complains about it and suggests the clubs share a stadium. Again.

It's the council that is responsible for successfully obtaining this money from the NWDA (an unelected, Labour-controlled quango). I don't see why they'd shoot themselves in the foot like that.

It goes without saying that the council is just desperate to see this area regenerated, regardless of who does the regeneration, but every time in the past, it's been the NWDA that has put the mockers on any plans. Finally however it looks like there's been a breakthrough and the NWDA have agreed to release some money for the stadium. It makes a change for them to spend money on something useful, normally they just piss it away on shite.