You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arctic Monkeys

Mark P

I know, I know, they were touted on here ages ago...I'm not looking for a "I saw them first in a toilet in... (insert non-entity town here)" debate.

Just to advise anyone who may be interested that the release date of their debut album has been brought forward a week to Monday Jan 23.

I, for one, am very much looking forward to it.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They did Scummy and sounded pretty good, although they dont sound too comfortable being intevriewed.

Theyre about to do one of 4 cover versions, either Slipknot, Bodyrockers, Girls Aloud or The Streets. Should be interesting.

Very, very good in my opinion. Lyrically adept and back it up with some really good tunes. The album is stunning and they will, initially at least, manage to justify the hype.

Whether they can evolve as a band and still be relevant when they are all loaded will be another question completely. They may fall into the Oasis trap of being amazing at writing songs about common life but may flounder when they are taken out of that environment. I personally think they have a good chance of longevity as Alex Turner has an exemplerary eye for a turn of phrase and a summation of life; surely something which will see them prosper.

Very, very good in my opinion. Lyrically adept and back it up with some really good tunes. The album is stunning and they will, initially at least, manage to justify the hype.

Been some chinese whispers within the industry that they've a mentor/co-writer helping out due to 19-year-olds referencing The Police's Roxanne, Space Invaders, Frank Spencer and kitchen-sink stuff like Saturday Night Sunday Morning.

Maybe they simply know their pop cullture or are trying to outdo Richey Edwards in the namedropping stakes.

they were given saturday night sunday morning by the record company for the tour bus,so thats were they got the album title from.

any 19yr old into there tunes will know roxanne,space invaders is still going no and frank spencer is never off the BBC they repeat it that much.

i think they are genuine,if i thought they had help id ditch them and im sure many of there fans would do the same.

Some of us downloaded it a long time ago mate ;)

Blows a bit of a hole in the p2p is killing music debate. Their tracks have been passed round for nearly a year yet they've two #1' singles and no doubt a #1 album. I've always thought the 'piracy' argument to be partly a lame defense of poor albums and blockbusters that flop at the box office. Maybe they were just shite albums or films.

Yet another standard band hyped up and hyped up by Jo Whiley (who just loves every band out there!), the media and the NME (which is s***e these days)

Before you know it all the little teeny knobs will be running around with their t-shirts believing the hype.

I saw them on T.V. the other week and they were awful, the bands overall playing sounded like a group of 16 year olds who play together as a group once of twice a month (to make things worse the singer was out of time on the chorus!!!!!).

In my local on Friday night never guess what group of people put it on and sit there singing it like their rock n roll gods????????? yeah that’s right students!!!!.

Before you all go off on me saying what I think you will (ie that I’m wrong) I’ve been playing in bands for about 13years and consider myself a very good judge, being a drummer I pick up on how tight the band is and whether they have a good feel, they don’t .

But I’m not judging their tunes, haven’t heard the album, but I wont be buying it.

I f*****g hate Jo Whiley too, anything she recommends I refuse to buy (which is prob why I don’t get into a lot of today’s bands)

Yet another standard band hyped up and hyped up by Jo Whiley (who just loves every band out there!), the media and the NME (which is s***e these days)

Before you know it all the little teeny knobs will be running around with their t-shirts believing the hype.

I saw them on T.V. the other week and they were awful, the bands overall playing sounded like a group of 16 year olds who play together as a group once of twice a month (to make things worse the singer was out of time on the chorus!!!!!).

In my local on Friday night never guess what group of people put it on and sit there singing it like their rock n roll gods????????? yeah that’s right students!!!!.

Before you all go off on me saying what I think you will (ie that I’m wrong) I’ve been playing in bands for about 13years and consider myself a very good judge, being a drummer I pick up on how tight the band is and whether they have a good feel, they don’t .

But I’m not judging their tunes, haven’t heard the album, but I wont be buying it.

I f*****g hate Jo Whiley too, anything she recommends I refuse to buy (which is prob why I don’t get into a lot of today’s bands)

You sir, are alright by me.

The fans were onto them before the media so you're a bit wrong about that bit mate. They are so big because of their online fanbase.

The fans were onto them before the media so you're a bit wrong about that bit mate. They are so big because of their online fanbase.

Its not a case of being wrong. thats not what I said Stu, I said I dont like them cause they are a shit band, didnt say anything about how they came to be in the public eye, just that all the media are now jupping on and hyping them up.

they're big yeah, or at least their bass player is.

Could do with a bit more band rehersal

p.s. not many people had actually heard of them even when their first single went to number one, online onspiracy me thinks.

Its not a case of being wrong. thats not what I said Stu, I said I dont like them cause they are a shit band, didnt say anything about how they came to be in the public eye, just that all the media are now jupping on and hyping them up.

they're big yeah, or at least their bass player is.

Could do with a bit more band rehersal

Rehearsal? I quite like a bit of rawness, to be honest. I saw the Strokes 3 or 4 years back, and they were tight and note perfect, and therefore a bit too polished for my liking.

Rehearsal? I quite like a bit of rawness, to be honest. I saw the Strokes 3 or 4 years back, and they were tight and note perfect, and therefore a bit too polished for my liking.

Theres rawness then there just plain sloppy. Im sure a singer doesnt try and sing out of time or a drummer cant keep up with the rhythm of a song just to be 'cool'.

Being a drummer and being in a band I take offence to the fact a band cant be arsed to practice.

No one plays bad for the sake of it, especially if your live on t.v.