You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mo, The Vote - time to go?

Mo the poll - stay or go?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do with Mo this summer, assuming we take it out of the hands of the new manager

• Offer a new deal and keep him till the end of his career
    • Let him see out his contract
    • Sell him for any type of market value fee
    • Sell him but only for a massive fee

1 minute ago, Chris said:

Sorry for being lazy, but what happened after the game? Telly went off at full time.

klopp did an interview saying there was no issue and they'd talked about it. salah walked through the mixed zone saying "if i talk about it today there will be fire"

17 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Van Dijk can play as a top CB for the next 5 years.

Great, so we should get excellent offers for him. 

Let's see what Slot thinks.  Van Dijk divides opinion among the Dutch I think. Some see him in a colder light than we do. 

Personally I think he's still very good, but too often he seems in 3rd gear, I can't remember the last time I saw him actually sprint. You can argue that's a sign of a good defender, but you can argue that we've gone 1-0 down far too often under his watch. 

As I say, for me it's a Slot decision. If VVD backs Slot completely then great, but if VVD is less enthused then he needs to be gone. 

Slot must be given a blank canvass, 100% buy-in. 

If he wants to sell Alisson then I'd back him. You have to actually back the manager, no questions, in year 1 especially.  

Unfortunately, Salah is holding all the aces. I doubt he would sign a new contract for lower wages, nobody outside the Arab sphere would offer the same wage. If he's already been tapped up (or his agents been touting him to them) to go for a massive signing on fee at the end of next season he could go the strop and stay his contract out. Without an improvement in his attitude or performance, the club should just take the loss, fine him at every opportunity and give him a spot on the bench - with the ressies.

If Salah decides to run down his contract, he would probably continue to chase his records and I don't think he would be downing tools or anything like, unless there is a major falling out with the new management as well. That is not in his nature.

6 minutes ago, SasaS said:

If Salah decides to run down his contract, he would probably continue to chase his records and I don't think he would be downing tools or anything like, unless there is a major falling out with the new management as well. That is not in his nature.

I think everyone has enough respect for his professionalism and knows it won't be about downing tools. It'll be about potentially carrying a passenger in the 11 when we're defending, off the ball, tactical considerations, stuff like that.

• Upvote 1

It's all about value for money with FSG and they'll sell if a decent offer comes in due to has age, wage and the fact he only has a year to run on his contract when he can go for free.

I understand that suits Mo with the signing on fee, but I can't see him staying if Slot tells him he won't be first choice which may well happen as it gives Slot money for new signings.

Mo wants to play and I can't see him hanging around in that scenario.

18 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I think everyone has enough respect for his professionalism and knows it won't be about downing tools. It'll be about potentially carrying a passenger in the 11 when we're defending, off the ball, tactical considerations, stuff like that.

Well, yes. ET was talking about fining him for the wrong attitude and keeping him on the bench. 

That article says Slot likes his wingers put one on one and beating their man. And getting subbed a lot. 

17 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Well, yes. ET was talking about fining him for the wrong attitude and keeping him on the bench. 

That article says Slot likes his wingers put one on one and beating their man. And getting subbed a lot. 

It's not a good situation. His overall play is already not very good and it will get worse. Plus, his ego stuff which will probably rear its head with Slot.

The ability to score and provide the final pass will probably stay and it makes him more valuable than the others, which is a direct criticism of the others, who we invested loads in. I think we're probably a bit stuck. 

• Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Chris said:

That's not great is it?  Not the worst thing ever, either. I wouldn't say it's "want him gone" serious.

It was a cunts trick at a time we needed him to behave like one of the teams leaders, which is what he is. Personally I see it very "Ronaldo" behaviour and with a new coach coming in, combined with his cost, his contract 12 months away from expiring, potential inbound fee and his diminishing performances, I just think it's cut him. We don't need this type of egotistical shit for Slot or whoever to deal with. 

2 hours ago, Code said:

Obviously we will offer him an extension. 

M’Bappe was the only player that could replace him, he’s going to Madrid. 

He's slowing down, defenders have absolutely mastered how to play against him in the area (given his aversion to shooting with his right foot), he's into his thirties and starting to get problems in terms of fitness, he's earning (sort of) an obscene amount of money, and, on top of that, he appears to think he's so important he's entitled to act like he's a free rider. I'm not sure why any new manager would be THAT keen on taking on a player like that when he's looking to stamp his signature on the style of play and move forward with energy and conviction. Let him go to the sacred land of misogynism and murder.

• Upvote 1

There isn’t an option for what I’d do, but I think I mentioned it on the pod earlier this season: let this contract run down and then negotiate a new shorter, performance-related rolling deal to keep him for as long as he retains the ability to deliver for the club (even if in an increasingly diminishing role). That way he can still earn huge money if his output remains stellar, but we aren’t risking silly figures on a player who might fall off a post-Klopp/age/injury cliff. 

Incidentally, I reckon he might be a good No 10 in Slot’s system. 

That would be by far the best for the club - if I am Salah, maybe not so much - he can sign a pre elsewhere in Jan. Why would he (or his agent) want to risk that if he wanted to stay at all - it doesn't put him in a better bargaining place with us.

Assuming he stays, what do we think to him at centre forward next season?

There is another AFCON in 2025 in Morocco. Unless it’s in the summer, he needs to fuck that shit off.

2 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Assuming he stays, what do we think to him at centre forward next season?

Could never win enough in the channels to play upfront now as a lone striker. 

If a change is going to work imo it would be in the middle of a 3 behind a lone striker.

We can keep playing him in the 11, wherever that is, but it should be with the understanding you probably have to sacrifice another attacking player somewhere to make up for it.

The way City play so many attacking players, some of which like De Bruyne don't defend, is they basically play with 5 attacking players and 5 defensive players. There is still a balance of sorts.

While he's been poor since January and I've said myself he isn't the same player as before(I'd move him to the 9/10 next year if he's staying, more 10 position). This does back up somewhat to what @Code has said about he is still creating chances

I would look next year at playing him as the 10 when we have the ball in a 4231, play Szoboszlai on the right. When we lose it and don't win it back high get them to switch so Szoboszlai drops into the midfield and Mo pulls wide. The front 4 will swap positions anyway with the ball so it should give Mo more freedom to drift and create. Dom showed early in the season he looked good when he got wide and has enough power and pace to drive past players. 

• Upvote 1

Holding on to players as they deteriorate is never a good idea & he looks absolutely goosed to me. A 31 year old who relies upon his pace massively too.

He's been an absolutely phenomenal player for Liverpool but this summer is exactly the right time to move him on, even if we have to take a big a hit on the fee.

There is a fair argument that he's playing injured and that AFCON has derailed us the last 2 tournaments

Pre Afcon

P 27(6 of them games are in the Europa and a combined 166 mins)

18 goals

9 assists

14 games

6 goals

4 assists

Similar to 2022

https://sportsgazette.co.uk/mohamed-salah-post-afcon-form/

When Egypt played him for 90 mins every 3 days and 120 mins for each knock out round and sent him backed fucked. 

The next AFCON is 2025 and though its been moved from Jan-Feb the idiots are now holding it July-Aug so any player will completely miss preseason and not be ready till September. 

• Upvote 1