You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So who should be our next manager?

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

The point with De Zerbi is he has his own football, which is very rare, and it is something that seems very suited to the high level. 

That is a trait that could make him a great manager, just like Slot winning at a worse club in Holland could make him a great manager. But the fact he won the Eredivisie and De Zerbi hasnt won anything means fuck all, lets be honest. 

I could envisage a situation where Virgil stands on the ball like Dunk does and nobody engages him at all. He's literally standing there breaking PL possession records.

1 minute ago, No2 said:

I could envisage a situation where Virgil stands on the ball like Dunk does and nobody engages him at all. He's literally standing there breaking PL possession records.

See, thats a funny comment. 

15 minutes ago, Megadrive Man said:

What does he do tactically that no one does? If he's such a good tactician how come Brighton are only 10th in the league? 

By overachieving I meant that he hasn't done anything out of the ordinary. If he'd taken Brighton up to 4th this season, like Emery has done with Villa, I'd class that as overachieving.  They have massively dropped off this season though. after winning five of the first six, Brighton have only won six of their next twenty six league games. If they replicate this next season, they'll be closer to relegation than European football. 

One, look it up, you lazy bum. 

Two, Villa have spent 130m net since Emery was there. Brighton have made a 170m profit since De Zerbi is there. Gee, wonder why fucking Brighton, who De Zerbi led to their highest ever finish and European Football, arent in 4th, 

Fuck me man, the arguments are so bad. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

See, thats a funny comment. 

It's not meant to be funny, I'd be well up for rolling the dice on De Zerbi but equally I could see that happening. Brentford come for the nil nil, if we want to wait for them to break their shape we'll be a long time waiting.

12 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Advocaat won the treble his first year at Rangers. 

He then went onto manage about twenty other sides...and a handful of countries.

Advocaat is not not in the last 15/20 and he's probably about as old as Hodgson so not the same as those listed. 

For example a lot of people say English managers underperformed for a while and they blamed it on ....  Is there a reason why so many Dutch managers struggled when they leave the Dutch League from said generation. 

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

One, look it up, you lazy bum. 

Two, Villa have spent 130m net since Emery was there. Brighton have made a 170m profit since De Zerbi is there. Gee, wonder why fucking Brighton, who De Zerbi led to their highest ever finish and European Football, arent in 4th, 

Fuck me man, the arguments are so bad. 

I've seen Brighton play this year and they look like a poorer version of Man City. They were already playing good football under Potter before he came in, all he has done is tweaked it a bit. 

That's a fair point, but it doesn't change the fact that Brighton started the season really well with wins over United, Newcastle, West Ham and Wolves but they've massively dropped off in the second half of the season. 

The way De Zerbi is going I can see Brighton struggling next season and he will end up getting sacked.  

1 minute ago, Megadrive Man said:

I've seen Brighton play this year and they look like a poorer version of Man City. They were already playing good football under Potter before he came in, all he has done is tweaked it a bit. 

That's a fair point, but it doesn't change the fact that Brighton started the season really well with wins over United, Newcastle, West Ham and Wolves but they've massively dropped off in the second half of the season. 

The way De Zerbi is going I can see Brighton struggling next season and he will end up getting sacked.  

The football is way more attacking under De Zerbi than under Potter. They genuinely had the 2nd best attack in the league last season. 

This season, he has a much worse, injury riddled squad and has the added European games. That is just too much to do and it was of course going to be worse in the league. 

I dont know why he would even think about staying at Brighton, to be honest. He got them to an unprecedented level and all that meant is more big players left. Clearly he is on a hiding to nothing given this absurd sentiment that he is is actually doing badly. 

20 minutes ago, Denny Crane said:

Advocaat is not not in the last 15/20 and he's probably about as old as Hodgson so not the same as those listed. 

For example a lot of people say English managers underperformed for a while and they blamed it on ....  Is there a reason why so many Dutch managers struggled when they leave the Dutch League from said generation. 

If you are putting a limit on the managers age and moving in the last 20 years to England then it is a sample size of what - 2?

Why no Koeman on the list? He has won silverware at a number of teams - heck he was PL manager of the Month a few times I remember.

Bosz is a strange one - Dortmund paid a record fee to bring him in and sacked him in 6 months. He did get Leverkusen into the CL and went back to Holland and beat out our boy Slot in the cup last season I think.

The short answer for me is there are far more failures than success' - by about tenfold so you could easily make a list of any nationality.

23 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

If you are putting a limit on the managers age and moving in the last 20 years to England then it is a sample size of what - 2?

Why no Koeman on the list? He has won silverware at a number of teams - heck he was PL manager of the Month a few times I remember.

Bosz is a strange one - Dortmund paid a record fee to bring him in and sacked him in 6 months. He did get Leverkusen into the CL and went back to Holland and beat out our boy Slot in the cup last season I think.

The short answer for me is there are far more failures than success' - by about tenfold so you could easily make a list of any nationality.

English managers especially.

31 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I think the short answer is there are far more failures than success' - by about tenfold so you could easily make a list of any nationality.

I didn't limit it to England. I took roughly the last dozen or so Dutch League winners and followed their path.  See the list. I didn't include Koeman as he went and gained experience managing overseas, I  remember him knocking us out of Europe back in 06 before he went back to Holland. 

I listed managers who had directly left Holland to manage overseas -- their failures included clubs in Turkey, Germany, France and England. I even referenced Bosz doing a solid job at Bayer inbetween but he failed firstly at Dortmund and Lyon. Now he is winning the Dutch League again. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

If Edwards and Hughes get this one wrong and the next manager is jibbed then they should follow him out of the door. You want to be bold and brave that's fine if you believe in your data but if its wrong you can pay the same price as the man you employed. The Guru status of Edwards doesn't sit with me, there's only so many times I can hear "but Klopp wanted Brandt" Klopp was successful before Edwards and undoubtedly will be after. Edwards has as much to prove as Slot will.

mate, whoever we get is going to be fucking shit, because there is nobody at all who is klopp. and despite us winning everything under klopp, we haven't won everything a lot of times. the next guy will be lucky or brilliant to win a thing with us. 

anyway - this Slot fella. it seems he also nearly won the dutch league with AZ but it was the year it was cancelled for covid. they might not have won it - but I don't ever recall AZ being good. 

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

The bold parts are complete bollocks.

He does things tactically that no one else does. If you arent arsed about knowing what those are, dont even comment.

Secondly, the part about not overachieving, he has managed Brighton and Sassuolo, Those clubs havent won top flight trophies ever. 

Its just more reductionary shite about De Zerbi that people have spouted on here because they dont think he should manage Liverpool. Which, the part about not wanting him to be our manager is totally fine, but the reasons people have been giving have been absolutely awful. 

the thing with tactics is they don't count if the manager is a weasely little fucker with shit hair. i personally think looking and acting like an utter twat should bar you from the managers job at Liverpool. You are a leader and nobody wants to follow shit like that. At least Rafa could be made into a Rafatollah. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

Indeed….you could even say that Advocaat’s success ….snowballed….

Advocaat won the treble his first year at Rangers. 

He then went onto manage about twenty other sides...and a handful of countries.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

The thing with tactics is they don't count if the manager is a weasely little fucker with shit hair. i personally think looking and acting like an utter twat should bar you from the managers job at Liverpool. You are a leader and nobody wants to follow shit like that. At least Rafa could be made into a Rafatollah. 

Sure. That is honestly a better reason than much of what I've read on here.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Denny Crane said:

I didn't include reserve football for Ten Hag or the hotbed of international football in Israel for Peter Bosz. 

Fair enough - I don't think there is enough in it to suggest there is any kind of trend. 

8 minutes ago, Le Duan said:

Any Feyenoord players worth bringing with him?

Been tenuously linked with a few in the past (Wieffer and Hancko), they have a decent striker in Gimenez.

Don't think we'd buy many (if any) from them though unless there's a cross over between the numbers and the player.

4 hours ago, Code said:

What about Guus Hiddink?

Funny thing with Hiddink outside of Holland he hasn't really achieved fuck all as a manager. I was surprised looking at his record. Obviously had a great spell at PSV and lived out on that for the next 30 years. One club world cup and a FA cup

Netherlands

FIFA World Cup Fourth place: 1998

Real Madrid

Intercontinental Cup: 1998

South Korea

FIFA World Cup Fourth place: 2002

Russia

UEFA European Championship Semi-finalist: 2008

Chelsea

FA Cup: 2008–09

30 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Been tenuously linked with a few in the past (Wieffer and Hancko), they have a decent striker in Gimenez.

Don't think we'd buy many (if any) from them though unless there's a cross over between the numbers and the player.

From what ive read of Gimenez ge won't make the step up. Not quick enough. Hancock age will go against him imo. 

1 minute ago, Lee909 said:

From what ive read of Gimenez ge won't make the step up. Not quick enough. Hancock age will go against him imo. 

Which is why I don't think we'll sign any of them (Wieffer as a long outside bet maybe).

We didn't raid Dortmund when Klopp signed and if he came in and brought two or three players from Feyenoord peoples heads might explode because it's like what Ten Haag did.

4 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

There is definitely a level at the top clubs where you are dealing with world famous players so you need more clout to get them to buy into you. Or to be a really charismatic bastard.

You are spot on about having history in the premier league meaning nothing though. 6 of the top 10 clubs in the division have got managers who had never previously managed in England, and the other 4 all got sacked from their previous clubs (Emery, Moyes, Howe, Pochettino).

I agree upon the part about world famous players with inflated egos. We dont know how a manager like Slot will do on that part, not least combined with the pressure and expectations at a club like Liverpool.

One of the main things behind Klopps success however, is picking the right characters in addition to being good players. If you manage that part you’ll reduce the risk from inflated egos.

• Upvote 1