You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So who should be our next manager?

14 hours ago, Creator Supreme said:

Very good.

Nah, I've been trying to pack in since I stopped going regular, but being a red is like a drug, and its hard to give it up completely.

I'll have to get into philately or something.

Being in another time zone has helped but it can also frustrate like having to watch games in the middle of the night.

presuming its Alonso. and thats presuming. 

i want whoever it ism, to come in, and treat Utd with the absolute distain that they deserve. 

im not slagging off klopp, but far too often in his reign, he's given them too much respect. 

they've been pretty much shite in his time here, and although we've had some big wins against them, we really should have beaten them more. 

Watching alonsos Leverkusen hammer Bayern Munich a few weeks back is what im talking about. 

not going into the game with the "ooh its Utd/City/Arsenal, we need to show them respect" no, fuck them, we're better than you are, so bosh, have that you shower you fucks. 

slight rant about yesterday. so apologies

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

i want whoever it ism, to come in, and treat Utd with the absolute distain that they deserve. 

im not slagging off klopp, but far too often in his reign, he's given them too much respect. 

they've been pretty much shite in his time here, and although we've had some big wins against them, we really should have beaten them more. 

Watching alonsos Leverkusen hammer Bayern Munich a few weeks back is what im talking about. 

not going into the game with the "ooh its Utd/City/Arsenal, we need to show them respect" no, fuck them, we're better than you are, so bosh, have that you shower you fucks. 

I doubt he's in the dressing room before the game talking about respect.

If anything a big part of why we lost yesterday was being too cavalier in the wrong moments, losing the ball and being countered on. Something we've cut out a bit this season but saved for this one.

It was game management (and cutting edge) that we lacked rather than being too respectful. We made bad decisions too often.

13 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

Let it out mate but its hard to agree with you there. Klopp has done fantastically well against this lot, we beat them in the EL a few years ago, we have hammered them with cricket scores in the last few years and even in the games we lost, it has mostly been a case of shite finishing or shite in the final 3rd. Just like yesterday. 

It is also strange you cite Alonso as an example - he has beaten Bayern ONCE! 

I'd want Klopp to stay and I wouldn't change anything about his time here other than Abu Dhabi being cheats. Change is what we are getting though so if I could have one hope it would be a slightly more conservative way of defending where the entire team doesn't have to get in on the action upfront leaving one or two players completely exposed. Usually by hook or crook we win but it feels like we make every game a battle and have had to wear teams down scoring so many last minute winners. I think we make it harder than it needs to be but it works under Klopp he has that engine that everything is powered under but shit as exhilarating as it can be its tiring just to watch. Change is coming regardless I don't want Klopp mark 2 there's only one Klopp. Edwards has to get this right.

15 hours ago, Strontium said:

One thing I won't miss about Klopp is his FA Cup record.

not sure any of our managers have got a great record in it,in fairness.

klopp-1

rafa-1

houllier-1

kenny-2

paisley never won did he?

56 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

our record against utd,historically,is awful.

34 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

not sure any of our managers have got a great record in it,in fairness.

klopp-1

rafa-1

houllier-1

kenny-2

paisley never won did he?

I'm not even talking about winning it, it was rare we made the latter stages of the competition. Prior to this season, we only made it past the 5th round once - when we won it.

8 minutes ago, Strontium said:

I'm not even talking about winning it, it was rare we made the latter stages of the competition. Prior to this season, we only made it past the 5th round once - when we won it.

I think rafa was the 1st one to treat it as 2nd rate competion. From memory that 06 win was a bit of a anomoly.

Our record over the past 20 years or so has been atrocious.

2 hours ago, The wanderer said:

Being in another time zone has helped but it can also frustrate like having to watch games in the middle of the night.

I'll be honest if I do move away from here it will be the Scottish Highlands, so not another time zone, just another century.

I don't usually watch or listen to the games live, as I've been ripped many a time for, I follow them on here.

I did watch the Burnley game on boxing day and I was a bag of shite by full time.

I'm hoping distance will give me perspective.

7 hours ago, Strontium said:

Best record we have in it I think 85-90 3 finals and 5 semis 

7 hours ago, Creator Supreme said:

I'll be honest if I do move away from here it will be the Scottish Highlands, so not another time zone, just another century.

I don't usually watch or listen to the games live, as I've been ripped many a time for, I follow them on here.

I did watch the Burnley game on boxing day and I was a bag of shite by full time.

I'm hoping distance will give me perspective.

11 hours ago, Megadrive Man said:

Alan Brazil and Dean Saunders on Talkshite claiming that the Liverpool players want Pep Lijnders to take over next season. 

Saunders was at that last week. Then it was he'd heard two or three in the camp want ljinders. I've no idea how he'd know that like. 

The thing is there are probably a couple of players in the squad who want it to be ljinders - even if saunders is making it up, he's been around dressing rooms long enough to know it'll be the case. Some will like him, think he's helped them and more importantly it probably enhances their future if he's around rather than a new coach who they'd need to start again with. That doesn't make it a reason to hire ljinders though. 

I don't want Ljinders to take over what can he bring to push us further on than Klopp when a lot of the ideas are his aswell it would just be trying to carry on the band without its star member. Its a new beginning, change so it has to be that, I think Ljinders would represent clinging on trying to keep the magic. Also the inverted fullback thing was his baby according to Klopp and i think its a bag of wank we constantly have to change how we play later in the game to rectify. Just because we had Paisley follow Shankly it doesn't mean that's how it normally goes. I just don't get boss vibes from Ljinders either he's like a school kid or enthusiastic hobbyist, you like his ideas but when he gets uppity you'd think shut up little bollocks go wait outside we've got things to discuss.

• Upvote 1

I doubt Brazil has the kind of contacts within the first team squad to be able to make that sort of claim with direct quotes. I can see it being a second or third hand quote that's been watered down, like someone within the squad has said off the record that it's a shame Lijnders is going, he's been good for the team and everyone likes him, and even though it'd likely never happen due to his lack of experience if he had have been offered the gig people would have been happy for him. Three people down the chain and that can morph into "the squad want Lijnders."

Been meaning to mention this for a few days, but one thing that gives me quite a bit of succour during the manager search has been the success of Klopp. When FSG first came in they tried to box clever with the Martinez interview and the Brodgers dossier etc. Rodgers didn't work and ended up being quite expensive to fix given contracts to pay off, unwanted players to dump and so on. In comes Klopp - the unequivocal right man for the job - and suddenly everything works better, and the value of the club goes up despite only relatively limited investment.

I hope this means that Jurgen Klopp has shown them the power of the right manager: get that appointment right and you save yourselves a lot of hassle - it's too important a job to take gambles on.

• Upvote 2

On 18/03/2024 at 18:28, Dapower said:

Best record we have in it I think 85-90 3 finals and 5 semis 

There was no European Football back then so it was treated as a major trophy. The FA Cup Final's proximity to European final dates and the end of the season coming after it now,or was that a one off? makes it less of a priority I reckon.

Is anyone looking forward to the new era now. I think now its inevitable and there's nothing we can do to change it, it's going to be interesting. I'd love us to be a bit more smarter defending, not so much edge of your pants constant chase back relying on your keepers insane one on one ability, I know we are better than that obviously. Klopp is irreplaceable but so are the years this side knocks off your life. Wouldn't swap it for the world in spite of the Abu Dhabi circumstances.

I think the biggest thing for the future is still signing the right players, that's most of the battle you can be smart as you like on the pitch but shit players ultimately play shit football. I'm hoping it's Alonso, I dont think it will be but he's an exciting prospect. I just want the season to end and see where we are, what we done, say goodbye to Klopp and move on. I'm not as optimistic about how this season ends as some are but after last year it's pretty incredible what Klopps managed already this season just by having us in the conversation.