You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Penalty taker

Kevin D

Well?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. So

Szoboszlai hit one for Hungary during the international break that was unstoppable. High into the corner.

It might have looked out of contol as he hit it so hard, but he can really hit the ball with minimal effort.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him succeed Mo (and VVD for that matter) whenever it happens. Hopefully in a few years.

7 hours ago, gkmacca said:

I said his last but one pen was more of a blast but was informed by some that it was a precision shot. I still think that's absurd. But it got the uncertainty out of his system. Since then he's returned to placing it with pace. 

I thought you'd said his last one was blasted because he lacked confidence; I certainly didn't see any lack of confidence and nor did the keeper.

Salah has scored 23 penalties in the PL and he’s missed five, on one of those five that is down as miss he scored on the rebound. 

Statistically his misses have cost us four points over his career with us.

I dont really get this discussion at all, off course he should continue on penalties. 

https://www.transfermarkt.com/mohamed-salah/elfmetertore/spieler/148455/plus/0?saison_id=ges&wettbewerb_id=GB1

IMG_9247.jpeg

• 2 months later...

Love Mo but that should be his last peno. It was mentioned in the Pod that John called both penos, so did I. 

Has he ever gone to the other corner at the Kop end? Always seems to go down the middle or too his right and the opposite down the Anny Road end.

1 minute ago, No2 said:

Love Mo but that should be his last peno. It was mentioned in the Pod that John called both penos, so did I. 

Has he ever gone to the other corner at the Kop end? Always seems to go down the middle or too his right and the opposite down the Anny Road end.

Watching his interview with Carra after the match there's no chance he's taken off them imo. He found it amusing the suggestion that he wouldn't take the second one last night. 

Just now, Mark M said:

Watching his interview with Carra after the match there's no chance he's taken off them imo. He found it amusing the suggestion that he wouldn't take the second one last night. 

Obviously he won't take it well, we need 4 penos while he's away, Macca burying all 4 in to the top corner.

Salah has scored 8 of his last 10 penalties for club and country, on 1 of his misses he scored on the rebound.

For the club he has scored 7 of his last 9 penalties, on 1 of his misses he scored on the rebound. 

Salah will continue to take our penalties. 

What surprised me last night is he seemed to not realise dubravka is one of those go early keepers. When he was taking it I just kept saying "just let him go and roll it the other way". He did exactly that with the 2nd goal. Did we maybe not do enough research on him? Did Salah not care and just think he could smash it? 

Not that it matters, we went on to win easy, he took the 2nd well and I'm sure he'll take the next pen. 

1 hour ago, Mark M said:

he's definitely not as reliable as he used to be

He has missed 4 of his last 10 in the league.

That includes the one he converted yesterday so when he stepped up to take the second he had missed four of his last 9 league pelanties.

I've no idea who our best penalty taker is now, doesn't the Hungarian take a decent one? Salah should never have been taking any while Fabinho and Milner were at the club.

It's a non starter though, he's got a decent enough record for it not to be a major issue and he'd throw a massive strop if he were taken off them. He seems pretty obsessed with all the personal records etc. Hopefully when he's gone we'll just pick the best penalty taker.

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

I've no idea who our best penalty taker is now, doesn't the Hungarian take a decent one? Salah should never have been taking any while Fabinho and Milner were at the club.

It's a non starter though, he's got a decent enough record for it not to be a major issue and he'd throw a massive strop if he were taken off them. He seems pretty obsessed with all the personal records etc. Hopefully when he's gone we'll just pick the best penalty taker.

Mac Allister, Gakpo and Szoboszlai are all good at penalties I think. Recall reading somewhere that Nunez has the best record of the lot, so long term he may be an option as well. Short term I think not, would think he should score more from open play before

being put on penalties.

1 minute ago, Scott_M said:

I think 4 misses in 10 is too many.

Be interesting if we get a couple of penalties while he is away, who takes them and, assuming they score, what happens when Mo comes back.

Mo resumes penalty taking duties.

5 hours ago, Code said:

Salah has scored 8 of his last 10 penalties for club and country, on 1 of his misses he scored on the rebound.

For the club he has scored 7 of his last 9 penalties, on 1 of his misses he scored on the rebound. 

Salah will continue to take our penalties. 

Not when in Africa he wont. That would be his greatest achievement ever.