You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Penalty taker

Kevin D

Well?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. So

His record was great till the last couple of years but imo he's needs taken off them at the momentas its cost us sone vital points and it seems to be in his own head at the moment. He'd probably go mad if we did it though. Mac Callister would be my go to,scored 9/10. 

5 hours ago, Lee909 said:

His record was great till the last couple of years but imo he's needs taken off them at the momentas its cost us sone vital points and it seems to be in his own head at the moment. He'd probably go mad if we did it though. Mac Callister would be my go to,scored 9/10. 

I think the last couple of months is closer. The miss at Bournemouth was the start of it. Prior to that I don't think we'd had a pen for a year. 

20 hours ago, Turkish Delight said:

I watched that. The keepers knew where he was going on most and dived the right way but couldn't get near them.

Like the story from Bruce Grobbelaar's early career and took his team's penalties as he was Captain. 

An opposition goalie was so astonished another goalie was taking a penalty against him that he demanded to know which side Brucie was going to place it. Brucie told him which side and after scoring said to him 'I didn't tell you how high or how low I was going to place it though.'

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I think the last couple of months is closer. The miss at Bournemouth was the start of it. Prior to that I don't think we'd had a pen for a year. 

He missed the pen in a defeat to Leicester in the year we finished runners up. 

Missed last year in the defeat to Bournemouth and in the draw with Arsenal. Put them two away and we are on 70pts and we don't go into the Southampton game half arsed last year and possibly scrape 4th. 

He's cost us and Eygypt sone big moments with pens over the last 2 years. Just feels to me time to move it on to someone else

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

He missed the pen in a defeat to Leicester in the year we finished runners up. 

Missed last year in the defeat to Bournemouth and in the draw with Arsenal. Put them two away and we are on 70pts and we don't go into the Southampton game half arsed last year and possibly scrape 4th. 

He's cost us and Eygypt sone big moments with pens over the last 2 years. Just feels to me time to move it on to someone else

To be honest, I don't remember the Leicester one - but we seem to get them away at Xmas sometimes, so if it was I was likely smashed out with the lads! Haha. 

He's deffo been shite since Bournemouth away last year though. As I mentioned earlier, I'd take him off them. I don't think that'll happen though. 

On 11/09/2023 at 15:38, 3 Stacks said:

Don't really care who takes pens because on the one hand, they're a lot of the time a stat padding thing for the best goal scorer on the team, and on the other, we can't see who is best at them in training. It's one of those things for me like the captaincy that isn't really worth talking about.

Training ground pens wouldn't tell you much anyway, takes a big set of bollocks to pull it off in a high pressure situation, and there's none bigger than a champions league final. 

15 minutes ago, Aventus said:

Training ground pens wouldn't tell you much anyway, takes a big set of bollocks to pull it off in a high pressure situation, and there's none bigger than a champions league final. 

I mean, not to shit on Salah's ability to take pens, he has proven he is decent at them, but the Champs League Final, he just smacked it down the middle. And Lloris is probably the worst keeper at saving them.

The one for Egypt where he qualified them for the World Cup was pretty momentous.

29 minutes ago, The Golden Eel said:

Mad to think that Suarez took two and missed both. Scored 61 in 81 in his last two seasons despite none being penalties. Some going 

Across those two seasons, we got 19 penalties as well. 

Also noticed we had three penalties in a win over the Mancs, Gerrard scoring two and missing one. I'd forgotten that. That's pretty mad too.