You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

PODCAST: Jordan Henderson joins the Saudi League

tlw content

5 minutes ago, Chris said:

No, but I don’t see that as being all that relevant when it was framed solely in terms of his captaincy of the club. 

Well he didn't win the most and wasn't the best player. To be considered possibly our best ever captain the bar is set high and he's performing badly in 2 key areas.

16 hours ago, tlw content said:

The captain has deserted the ship. Jordan Henderson is no longer a Red after ending his stellar 12 year stay at Anfield in ignominious fashion by joining Steven Gerrard at *checks notes* Al Ettifaq.

Hendo's former number one fan Chris Smith is joined by Julian Richards, Stu Montagu and TLW Editor Dave Usher as the lads share their thoughts on a move that a month ago seemed unthinkable. 

The conversation then broadens out to include what should now happen with the captaincy, Fabinho's impending departure and how many players do we need to bring in to fill the void. Plus there's a bit on the pre-season action as Dave and Jules clash yet again over Darwin Nunez.

View full article

Just been up for my four o'clock piss (don't get old !)and started listening to this Will catch up later with the whole podcast, but must say I 100%with Daves opening comments,spot on.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Thought Chris was brilliant on Henderson. Also completely agree with Stu on looking for a potential “bonus” midfielder but not getting another prospect (after Lavia).

I’m pretty concerned about the leadership capacity in the squad now with so many new or young players in it and the input of a top class, hugely experienced, multi-functional, serial winner like Joshua Kimmich would be hugely beneficial in my view. At 28, he’s a great age to add to this squad and young enough to have an impact over the next five years. 

I really hope the club is factoring this in to its discussions now because I think one judicious signing like that could make all the difference between an extended period of squad development or a rapidly accelerated one. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, halewood pete said:

Just been up for my four o'clock piss (don't get old !)and started listening to this Will catch up later with the whole podcast, but must say I 100%with Daves opening comments,spot on.

I read this at 4.15 after my visit to the bathroom.

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

A great listen - well done, and it's great to have you back!

It was fantastic to hear Chris' summary of Hendo's desertion .  I agreed with every word (except the fav player of all time, obviously).  Word for word, that would form an excellent thought piece.

It is ironic and fitting that such a divisive figure has united virtually the whole fanbase in the way he has left the club.

It is also ironic and fitting that Dave paid tribute to Fabinho's leaving the club by tucking into some scran during the discussion.

The proprietors of Formby kebab shops will be crying into their chip fat.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, razor said:

It is ironic and fitting that such a divisive figure has united virtually the whole fanbase in the way he has left the club.

He hasn't you know. It's not united as there are loads who don't have a problem with it at all. I think most on here feel similarly to those of us on the pod do, but I'd be surprised if we represented even half of the fanbase's views.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Daisy said:

FSG arent singing a prime 27/28 year old. 

They might sign a cheap about to go over the hill 30 year old like Thiago 

Thought about negging this because your relentless negativity is tiresome, but I think you're right so I've repped instead.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Chris said:

I have, it seems, ghasted some flabbers!

It’s not that outlandish, lads!

He was, before all this, arguably our greatest ever captain and considered one hell of a thoroughly bloody nice bloke!

Dave’s favourite ever player is one of the biggest villains to wear the shirt!

Some of us love a bad boy, what can I say.

Based on this I think we can say that I'd go for Madonna whereas you'd be all over Sally Webster.

10 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

The points Dave makes at the very start of the pod are completely spot on.

Evergreen post. 

9 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

Not in any sane argument he wasn’t. 

I don't necessarily think Henderson is our greatest ever captain (I'm not sure who is to be honest) but he's well worth a place in the discussion for numerous reasons. He's probably the least talented of the great captains most people think of, but for leadership, being respected by team-mates and manager as well as lifting a load of trophies, he's absolutely worthy of being in the argument.

He's definitely wiped a load of dogshit over his legacy now though.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Chris said:

what about the lifting every trophy there was to win including ending the 30 year wait to lift the title, making almost 500 appearances over 12 years and not trying to force a move to Chelsea one? 

It depends on what you want from a Captain I suppose. 

50 minutes ago, dave u said:

Thought about negging this because your relentless negativity is tiresome, but I think you're right so I've repped instead.

Sorry. For some positivity i actually wanted Fabinho to go and think we've had a massive result getting rid of him. He had three years left of a big deal. 

Everything else this pre season been pretty much a disaster though 

Just now, Daisy said:

Sorry. For some positivity i actually wanted Fabinho to go and think we've had a massive result getting rid of him. He had three years left of a big deal. 

Everything else this pre season been pretty much a disaster though 

See, there you go overstating things again.

Everything else has been a disaster? So the signings of Mac Allister and Szoboszlai didn't happen then?

We still need to do more, definitely, and until that happens I don't think we can feel particularly happy about the summer, but come on, have a day off.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, dave u said:

See, there you go overstating things again.

Everything else has been a disaster? So the signings of Mac Allister and Szoboszlai didn't happen then?

We still need to do more, definitely, and until that happens I don't think we can feel particularly happy about the summer, but come on, have a day off.

I think its just the formation and complete lack of interest in a centre back which we are going so obviously need. 

Just never seem to learn. 

42 minutes ago, Daisy said:

I think its just the formation and complete lack of interest in a centre back which we are going so obviously need. 

Just never seem to learn. 

It has gone very quiet on the centre back front since Chelsea said Colwill was going nowhere. That Inacio lad has a release clause and we love those, so maybe they're working on that behind the scenes. There's no way we won't sign one, and if we don't then we're morons.

Listened to the Podcast this afternoon and agreed with much of it.

One thing that wasn't really covered enough though was just how poor Henderson was last season. I've always been middle of the road on him as a player, my view is that whilst he won't be remembered as one of the all time greats, you do need players like him in the starting eleven. 

I was staggered at how bad he was last season though. The only time he really played well was in Qatar during the World Cup. I remember hoping that after he came back from the world cup that he'd found a bit of form and confidence, but if anything he was actually worse in the second half of the season.

I think he knows that he can't do it in the Premier League any more so has taken an unexpected very lucrative offer.

My overwhelming feeling is relief that he's moving on as I was dreading seeing him starting games for us next season. I think he was heading towards Gary Neville vs West Brom levels of embarrassment.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

Just finished listening to the pod. Highlight for me was Monty saying “don’t you just wish Guardiola would fuck off”. As much as anything that would shift opinion on our prospects. 

That was great!

• dave u unpinned this topic