You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Leicester City 0 Liverpool 3 (May 15 2023)

tlw content

matchreportheader.jpg

This was fairly routine and a nice little win to keep our momentum going. I didn’t think there was any chance whatsoever that we’d drop points here as I’ve watched Leicester a couple of times recently and they’re proper shit. 

We’ve lost to shit teams away from home this season of course, but not like Leicester. Take the Forest game for example. Or Bournemouth for that matter. They were in the bottom three when we played them but they were potentially dangerous because they can sit in, defend, make it difficult for us and ultimately frustrate us. And they did. 

They also got lucky too, we missed a pen at Bournemouth and squandered a hatful of set-piece chances at Forest. But the point is, those were games that had the potential to go wrong. I never thought this game fell into that category because Leicester are just terrible without the ball. They even made Everton look good.

We’d have to be really, really bad to not win this game, and we’re not in that place anymore. We might not be flying or playing at our absolute best, but we’re doing a lot of things right now and while I wouldn’t be massively confident of us winning every game we play, I was as close to being certain as possible that we’d beat Leicester.

We did it convincingly but I don’t think we really had to extend ourselves and there were a couple more gears we could have gone through if needed. We didn’t need them but there was a lot to like about this, not least the impact of the two local lads. It’s kind of fitting that they were the two who got the headlines here because in this recent ‘revival’ they’ve been the two most consistently impressive performers.

I’ll get to Trent in a bit - he was sensational - but let’s deal with Jones first. He’s been getting better with every game since he came back into the side and he’s gone from just working hard off the ball and doing the basics with it, to making a real impression now. He scored shitload of goals coming through the various Academy teams but his role in the senior set up changed and kind of handicapped him a bit. Now though he’s found a way to get himself into dangerous areas and the new set up has played a part in that.

With Trent giving that extra body in the middle there is a responsibility on the two ‘wide’ midfielders to be getting forward and scoring. There’s a bit more freedom for them and Curtis has capitalised with three goals of late. Forget the goals though, even without the goals he’d still be worth his place because he’s bringing a lot of other things to the table. He protects the ball, he leads the press, he sets the tone for it and he’s reminding me a bit of Lallana in that respect now. He’s brought energy and now he’s bringing goals.

View full article

• Upvote 3

• dave u pinned this topic

Nobody is mentioning Evans running 10 yards to shout into the referee’s face. Xhaka did it the other night as well. Especially that cunt at Ref Support UK who was everywhere when Klopp was getting it in the neck.

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, Anubis said:

Nobody is mentioning Evans running 10 yards to shout into the referee’s face. Xhaka did it the other night as well. Especially that cunt at Ref Support UK who was everywhere when Klopp was getting it in the neck.

Yes. He was making out what a big red he was and saying how he never saw Shankly or Paisley getting in the referees face. That would be because they watched games from the director's box. Rather difficult to get at the ref from there.

Spot on again with the report Mr U.

Didn’t have any complaints against how we played or the effort put in by the players.

One of the things that I picked up on was how frustrated Tielemans was during the game, there was a point where he’d run to close down one of ours and the ball was played past him. He turned and realised nobody else was pressing and just threw his arms up in disgust.

That’s when you can see it’s terminal with a team.

Always thought Vardy could do a job for us as he likes playing on the counter, but he’s too old now I think.

So Southampton and Leicester to be two of those going down.

Onwards and upwards.

• dave u unpinned this topic