You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Real Madrid (H) - CL Round of 16 1st leg, Tue 21st Feb 2023 (8:00pm)

Trumo

Things I enjoyed about that game: 

"Real Madrid are whores!" at the start of the minutes silence. 

First half (Ali's fuck up aside). 

Nunez. 

Salah's goal. 

Bacjetic (though got exposed towards the end).

Things I didn't enjoy about that game: 

Vini Jr. 

The fella necking Bovril next to me. 

How exposed our midfield becomes.

Atmosphere after 2-2.

Crossing it into a box with no Liverpool plays in. 

Gifting 3 goals to Madrid. 

The fella who smelled like a pickle on the train home. 

Sore feet. 

Wish Carlo would fuck off and retire. His record against us is insane: 18 played in 18 years, we’ve won four (two wins against Chelsea in 10/11, a win over Napoli in 2018 and the Curtis FA cup derby), four draws (admittedly including Istanbul) and he’s won fucking ten.

Combine the Carlo kryptonite with the Madrid hex and it’s just as well the super league got fucked off as we won’t find a bigger block to play every year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joso said:

Henderson is finished at this level. I have always appreciated him but he offers fuck all now. His energy is no longer enough. 

Totally agree, but what makes it worse is he can't even sustain it for 90 minutes.

Really, Henderson, what's the point lad? What do you bring?

13 minutes ago, Manny said:

Wish Carlo would fuck off and retire. His record against us is insane: 18 played in 18 years, we’ve won four (two wins against Chelsea in 10/11, a win over Napoli in 2018 and the Curtis FA cup derby), four draws (admittedly including Istanbul) and he’s won fucking ten.

Combine the Carlo kryptonite with the Madrid hex and it’s just as well the super league got fucked off as we won’t find a bigger block to play every year.

In fairness, for most of those 18 years we've been a bit poo and he's had teams with excellent players.

2 hours ago, johnsusername said:

Letting in 5 straight goals to Real Madrid at Anfield in a European Cup knockout game? Sorry, mate, it doesn't happen. We've been humiliated.

It's a bit like the atletico game a few years ago, the keeper made a horrendous error and the team fell apart...and we were the holders at the time and also on our way to number 19.

People are obviously not very happy about the second half, but in the context of where we’ve been at for the last 2 months the first half was probably our best performance in months. We got schooled completely second half by a completely superior team who were perfectly set up to expose all of our current glaring weaknesses. Sometimes you’ve gotta just hold your hands up and say you know what, they are a better team than us at the moment. A large part of that is self inflicted on our part, but we are where we are and we’ve now gotta focus on trying to improve again ahead of the weekend. Anyone who thought we were going through given our recent form hasn’t been paying attention. 

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, Creator Supreme said:

I think that Phillips is in the Hyypia mould of defender (obviously not in the same class), superb in the air, hell of a battler, not very quick. Therefore the style we play doesn't really suit him.

That said, would it do any harm to drop the defense back 10 yards and play Phillips next to Van Dijk?

Possibly the best post in this thread.

• Like 1

There's more than one person to blame, but Gomez... Like, this is a 25 year old who has about as much experience as you can have for a 25 year old central defender and he was just abused and targeted.

Even the 2nd goal which is Alisson's fault, Vini starts racing towards the keeper before Gomez plays it back. He just doesn't sense that kind of stuff and has zero composure. At his best he didn't have the bottle for the big European games and now it's just sad. 

But in general, just an embarrassing lack of knowhow from this team. They were chasing the game like a bunch of kids after the 3rd went in. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, an tha said:

For me it is all about the legs and the intensity and the press.

We don't press from front as well as we did, so we don't win ball high up as much - we don't have the legs in midfield we once had - so we don't win as many 2nd balls/balls from broken play and our midfield is outrun and played through....and our recovery pace seems to be not at level it was - and the backline is facing more attacks and facing them more exposed and without the recovery ability it once had.

We need legs in the team - really, really desperately.

In the meantime I believe we need to compensate for the above and play differently - problem is i am not sure we can find a balance that works - but for me no longer have the tools to do what we have been doing - we need to do something different or get the tools we need.

At our best we could come out and be intense like tonight for opening 25 mins or so and rock teams and then we had enough legs in team to see game out or go on and just totally batter the opposition. Tonight we just didn't and as we inevitably blew up we just got picked apart...was like watching a fighter punch himself out and then his opponent just hit him at will and there being nothing he could do stop the punches landing as can't get his hands up or move his feet to get out the way quick enough.

Or maybe this one.

• Upvote 1

Gomez just isn’t a defender, not a notion in his head.  His physical attributes got him by and they’re not what they were either.

It’s every game he’s at schoolboy level bullshit.  People only care when there’s a goal conceded but look at the Isak chance against Newcastle, St maximum is outwide, players with him.  Gomez just inexplicably runs away from him,  into no man’s land.  Not one single reason to start moving in the direction he’s gone.  

Most of our players deserve a pass this season since the system so fucking broke but there’s no excuse for the shit he’s at.  You’d think he’s concussed this season.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

One mistake after a hospital pass. He's been easily our best player this season and is easily our best keeper ever. His save 5 minutes before that mistake was world class. Best on the planet. 

No.

I think I love the club, and have done so since 1974.

And he's a wonderful keeper.

But no.

Repped for your loyalty however.

31 minutes ago, Planet Origi said:

Henderson for the 1st goal...what the fuck was he thinking. Or he just doesn't, the brainless moron. Trent too on the 3rd goal, shocking. 

If Hendo got home and opened his bedroom door to find his next door neighbour podging his missus, I'd bet you a small fortune he'd turn tail and tip toe down stairs to make a nice cup of tea and to ponder his pickle.

He'd then puff out his chest, charge up the stairs, burst into the bedroom and get filled in by a bloke who looks suspiciously like George Roper, with a tiny 2 inch todger.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Manny said:

And there I was - a smug 14 year old in 1981 - thinking we'd gained the upper hand on them.

2 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

If Hendo got home and opened his bedroom door to find his next door neighbour podging his missus, I'd bet you a small fortune he'd turn tail and tip toe down stairs to make a nice cup of tea and to ponder his pickle.

He'd then puff out his chest, charge up the stairs, burst into the bedroom and get filled in by a bloke who looks suspiciously like George Roper, with a tiny 2 inch todger.

He'd also probably do a bit of pointing don't forget.