You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

2 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Has there ever been an article saying a manager doesn't care when new signings arrive?

They always want them in before pre-season starts, and it virtually never happens.

I do think our need to have it all boxed off and to have a rock solid pre-season is pretty high though.

We made a right mess of pre-season last season and it is clear we recognised that, we also are carrying out a rebuild with a fair few going out door and hopefully a few in - so we need the time to get things sorted, to bed players in, to work on how we want to play and the players roles in that, start the gelling process etc....

A fractured pre-sesson with players not being a part of it or a full part of it from where we are and with what we have to do would be far from ideal - if we were set fair and coming off a good season with a largely settled squad and everything was rosy, then it wouldn't be a big problem - for us I feel every minute counts in this pre-season and we really could very much do with a full squad for it all to try and get us ready properly, fix some of the issues we have etc and hit ground running.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I think rice will be great value for them. He's a cracking player and improves probably their weakest spot in the team.

Where is that? Right side of a midfield three in place of Xhaka I assume. Not something Rice will have much experience at - he has played in a double pivot 90% of the time.

15 minutes ago, an tha said:

I do think our need to have it all boxed off and to have a rock solid pre-season is pretty high though.

We made a right mess of pre-season last season and it is clear we recognised that, we also are carrying out a rebuild with a fair few going out door and hopefully a few in - so we need the time to get things sorted, to bed players in, to work on how we want to play and the players roles in that, start the gelling process etc....

A fractured pre-sesson with players not being a part of it or a full part of it from where we are and with what we have to do would be far from ideal - if we were set fair and coming off a good season with a largely settled squad and everything was rosy, then it wouldn't be a big problem - for us I feel every minute counts in this pre-season and we really could very much do with a full squad for it all to try and get us ready properly, fix some of the issues we have etc and hit ground running.

Fair points.

I'm sure it's important, but I'm becoming increasingly less convinced it's imperative. I think there's a tendency to look at last season, and assume pre-season was a major factor. Yet, we've had players signed mid-season who've hit the ground running. I'm starting to think we're a side under Klopp that improves more with games than training. Half the camps we've gone to in order to refresh seem to result in us looking leggier and more off the pace than we were before.

In an ideal world we'd sign the right players, and early. Failing that, I'd settle for just the right players, as they should theoretically slot in with minimal fuss.

The main thing is not to repeat the Arthur mistake, the wrong player, late.

Why is anyone believing we will sign that Hungarian lad. Buy out clauses need paid in one go or you pay more with installments. We would look at Bellinghsm once it went past 90ml why are we going to look at a 70ml player now. Wages might be lower but Kone/Thuram etc wages lower still and half the transfer fee. Seems pretty obvious we are trying to rebuild on the cheap. 

6 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Why is anyone believing we will sign that Hungarian lad. Buy out clauses need paid in one go or you pay more with installments. We would look at Bellinghsm once it went past 90ml why are we going to look at a 70ml player now. Wages might be lower but Kone/Thuram etc wages lower still and half the transfer fee. Seems pretty obvious we are trying to rebuild on the cheap. 

I think its because it came from David Ornstein. He doesn't tend to post things unless he has concrete information.

21 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Fair points.

I'm sure it's important, but I'm becoming increasingly less convinced it's imperative. I think there's a tendency to look at last season, and assume pre-season was a major factor. Yet, we've had players signed mid-season who've hit the ground running. I'm starting to think we're a side under Klopp that improves more with games than training. Half the camps we've gone to in order to refresh seem to result in us looking leggier and more off the pace than we were before.

In an ideal world we'd sign the right players, and early. Failing that, I'd settle for just the right players, as they should theoretically slot in with minimal fuss.

I see point but i just think we have some serious work to do and it needs the key players there for me all through pre-season to make it as effective as can be.

No surprise to me that once we were down to 1 game a week last season our results picked up a bit - we were doing more work on tactics and sorting stuff - whereas previously it was more play, rest recover, play....I think Klopp himself said this.

Just feels to me that to get new players set and to work out what our identity is going to be this season in terms of preferred tactics, that we need every minute of pre-season.

That said if our remaining signings are likely not going to be what we consider 'starters' imemdiately then maybe it does not matter as much as they won't be playing/playing much....but for me on other hand we probably will need then to play (we should IMO be signing starters anyway but that is another conversation) it will be a biggish ask to bring 21 year old kids in from foreign leagues, them have virtually no pre-season and then expect much from them in coming season.....More experienced players, or players who know PL then a shortened pre-season is not so much of an issue...

Hopefully we strike right balance.

As for the Arthur deal, that was an embarrassment - hopefully never to be repeated or more importantly never to see us in a position where that kind of move is an option/a choice.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Fair points.

Totally agree, Klopp is definitely holding us back, I hate him.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

Haven't UEFA changed the rules to reserve two places in the CL for the most historically successful teams that fail to qualify? That's almost a guarantee of a place for us if we don't qualify through the top four. It starts from the 2024/25 season from memory.

I think they had to change that in a backlash to the ESL and instead gone for an additional place for the 2 countries who got the most coefficient points the previous season or something like that. 

1 hour ago, an tha said:

This should absolutely be the plan - it has been said by people like myself on here.

There is no real reason assuming it is indeed the plan for it not to be executed and absolutely no sense at all if it is plan to then bring players in and not have them ready until after first break.

All that said though we seem to be being linked with players who are playing in a tournament until 8th July and who will then need what 2 maybe 3 weeks off?

So either the links are bollocks or our planning is bollocks.

As that's come from Joyce, could it be a little kick up the arse to get the deals done? Klopp already trying to say if you want this fixing, get me my fucking players. 

41 minutes ago, Megadrive Man said:

I think its because it came from David Ornstein. He doesn't tend to post things unless he has concrete information.

Did Ornstien break it? I thought it was a German story that landed over here. 

50 minutes ago, Megadrive Man said:

Ornstein said we're interested but he didn't say it was advanced or that we're even thinking of paying what's required. That blurb or what Joyce subsequently said wasn't really cause for any optimism.

Szobozslai and Lavia would have clear positions in this team. They're far better targets than Thuram and Kone. 

Szobozslai is the perfect profile for the right side centre mid position we have that plays like a 10/winger. He's very dangerous from wide areas. And Lavia is a pure 6, a true Fabinho alternative. Just don't get the point of Thuram or Kone.

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, an tha said:

Have to smile at yet another tweeted link to a player where 'price' is mentioned as a possible stumbling block....

The cranks will be along soon telling us how we can’t buy him because it’s not just his transfer fee. It’s his wages, bonuses, agent fee, parents fee, lottery bonus ball that have to be all paid at once. Just like why we didn’t compete for Bellingham. Weird how we’re the only club who do this 

6 minutes ago, Red74 said:

The cranks will be along soon telling us how we can’t buy him because it’s not just his transfer fee. It’s his wages, bonuses, agent fee, parents fee, lottery bonus ball that have to be all paid at once. Just like why we didn’t compete for Bellingham. Weird how we’re the only club who do this 

He's a good player don't you think? 

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

As that's come from Joyce, could it be a little kick up the arse to get the deals done? Klopp already trying to say if you want this fixing, get me my fucking players. 

That tweet about the signings is from May so not new but the deadline is soon hence me posting it. 

26 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Szobozslai and Lavia would have clear positions in this team. They're far better targets than Thuram and Kone. 

Szobozslai is the perfect profile for the right side centre mid position we have that plays like a 10/winger. He's very dangerous from wide areas. And Lavia is a pure 6, a true Fabinho alternative. Just don't get the point of Thuram or Kone.

I'm not into the whole 'internet strangers call each other cunts over differing opinions on players' thing, so please don't take my criticism personally, I just disagree with yours on this.  

Szoboszlai doesn't look special to me.  I'm looking more at his match highlights v Real Madrid, and his international highlights, and I just see a less-talented Bruno Fernandes. Who, by the way, I think we already bought in MacAllister. 

Lavia would be fine as a target if he didn't cost £45m and only had 29 career first team appearances to his name. £20m, yes perhaps. £45m is mental health crisis realm.  

We're in a weird place right now, and we can't spend our way out of it.  To be fair, we couldn't spend properly last year either, even when we had money. 

I'd like to see us take chances on players but only for the right price. 

I know very little about transfers and who will be a success, but I do know one thing....a player like MacAllister only succeeds if a player like Caceido enables him. 

Caceido is as close to a sure-fire success as I've seen recently. There's a reason his price tag is high. Lavia is a mile off that level. I'd say Kone and Thuram are closer to that level, for less money, and capable of learning several midfield disciplines.  

Just now, Colonel Bumcunt said:

I'm not into the whole 'internet strangers call each other cunts over differing opinions on players' thing, so please don't take my criticism personally, I just disagree with yours on this.  

Szoboszlai doesn't look special to me.  I'm looking more at his match highlights v Real Madrid, and his international highlights, and I just see a less-talented Bruno Fernandes. Who, by the way, I think we already bought in MacAllister. 

Lavia would be fine as a target if he didn't cost £45m and only had 29 career first team appearances to his name. £20m, yes perhaps. £45m is mental health crisis realm.  

We're in a weird place right now, and we can't spend our way out of it.  To be fair, we couldn't spend properly last year either, even when we had money. 

I'd like to see us take chances on players but only for the right price. 

I know very little about transfers and who will be a success, but I do know one thing....a player like MacAllister only succeeds if a player like Caceido enables him. 

Caceido is as close to a sure-fire success as I've seen recently. There's a reason his price tag is high. Lavia is a mile off that level. I'd say Kone and Thuram are closer to that level, for less money, and capable of learning several midfield disciplines.  

Look at it like this; Lavia is the 6, Mac Allister is the 8, Szobozslai is the 10. All those profiles make sense together. It's Rodri, Gundogan, De Bruyne (obviously worse), if you will.

Thuram is an 8. We already bought one in Mac Allister. Maybe we could do more with him and change his position based on his frame and his qualities, but that is already more complicated.

Kone is a half and half player; a 6/8. I just don't really know what we'd do with that. We don't play a double pivot.

It's strangely familiar that we get linked to players like Bellingham, Valverde, Mbappe, Asensio when he first became a regular for Real and Tchouameni a year after he has been at Real. All either have ridiculously high transfer fees, wage demands or that their current clubs have no intention of selling them. Feels very Bill Kenwright bidding for players who've already signed for other clubs. 

Now we are linked with a player whose release clause expires in 2 days and who would cost £60m plus it's already been leaked that the transfer will be difficult just so they can say "we tried"

1 minute ago, Harry Squatter said:

It's strangely familiar that we get linked to players like Bellingham, Valverde, Mbappe, Asensio when he first became a regular for Real and Tchouameni a year after he has been at Real. All either have ridiculously high transfer fees, wage demands or that their current clubs have no intention of selling them. Feels very Bill Kenwright bidding for players who've already signed for other clubs. 

Now we are linked with a player whose release clause expires in 2 days and who would cost £60m plus it's already been leaked that the transfer will be difficult just so they can say "we tried"

If we sign him, it will be after the release clause. If we can come up with an agreeable payment structure and Newcastle fuck off. Otherwise, no chance. Maybe the Carvalho loan will help.

11 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

If we sign him, it will be after the release clause. If we can come up with an agreeable payment structure and Newcastle fuck off. Otherwise, no chance. Maybe the Carvalho loan will help.

You'd like to think we hired our new German crank for something.