You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

5 minutes ago, Megadrive Man said:

No chance!

Off the top of my head,

Karius, Carroll, Lovren.

Going further back, Ruddock Diouf, Diao.

I did say 'maybe' & other than Carroll, none of those players were signed for particularly huge fees, which I think should be a consideration for 'worst ever signing'.

1 minute ago, Mook said:

I did say 'maybe' & other than Carroll, none of those players were signed for particularly huge fees, which I think should be a consideration for 'worst ever signing'.

I always think it's a bit harsh to correlate the  size of the transfer fee with the players performance. The player doesn't set the fee. 

Some of the worst ever players I've seen play for us have been Free transfers. Joe Cole and Milan Jovanovic spring to mind.

2 hours ago, Megadrive Man said:

Arguably our two most important signings of the Klopp era are also in our top five.

I wouldn't have Nunez or Keita down as one of our worst signings. 

So 2 out of 4. Sounds like expensive players don't guarantee you much. You should take a look at the 10-15 biggest transfers of all time and tell me how many of those worked out.

The point is, there's loads of good players you can find at reasonable prices, even with the inflation. It's a nothing concern. 

If it is 2 out of 4 of the most expensive signings the club has ever made, at a time when Klopp has had more control than ever before that is not good. He was never the fella identifying value in the transfer market. There were others pointing towards the 2nd and 3rd options, yet most of the chatter on here says he is the guy to do that going forward.

Difficult to have it both ways tbh.

7 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

If 2 out of 4 of the most expensive signings the club has ever made, at a time when Klopp has had more control than ever before that is not good. He was never the fella identifying value in the transfer market. There were others pointing towards the 2nd and 3rd options, yet most of the chatter on here says he is the guy to do that going forward.

Difficult to have it both ways tbh.

Yeah, it was pretty extensively reported when we brought in Salah that Klopp strongly favoured another player (I think it was Julian Brandt?) and had to be talked into Mo by Ian Graham and Edwards.

To me it's massively concerning that after assembling the best recruitment team in the sport we have since dismantled it and replaced it with ... Klopp and Lijnders, I guess? It really says something that the nerds on laptops have all felt the need to leave recently as they seemingly don't have much influence on our transfer business.

45 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Yeah, it was pretty extensively reported when we brought in Salah that Klopp strongly favoured another player (I think it was Julian Brandt?) and had to be talked into Mo by Ian Graham and Edwards.

To me it's massively concerning that after assembling the best recruitment team in the sport we have since dismantled it and replaced it with ... Klopp and Lijnders, I guess? It really says something that the nerds on laptops have all felt the need to leave recently as they seemingly don't have much influence on our transfer business.

From what I remember Klopp initially wanted Gotze and Brandt and was talked into going for Salah and Mane instead. 

3 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

If Henderson was on performance related pay then he be funding the new stand out of his own pocket.

Pay it back Hendo, pay it back son.

You need therapy to get rid of this fixation.  All of those managers of the reds and england must be right fuckin dummies  selecting him and then even making him captain.

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, Megadrive Man said:

I always think it's a bit harsh to correlate the  size of the transfer fee with the players performance. The player doesn't set the fee. 

Some of the worst ever players I've seen play for us have been Free transfers. Joe Cole and Milan Jovanovic spring to mind.

That's a fair point mate.

I do personally think Keita is up there though.

13 hours ago, Carra_is_legend said:

Unfortunately I think you are right on all accounts. My main gripe is that we have been letting too many midfielders leave on a free because we don't sell them at the right time.

Lallana, Gini, Can, Keita, Ox and next year it will be Thiago and possibly Hendo too. It's ridiculous considering we mostly don't get a pot to piss in.

The thing is we struggle to find a way to get it both ways..we've always done well getting fees for young fringe players in the squad because we stuck to our guns on price. That doesn't seem to work on the older or injury prone players (and I imagine rightly too) and we end stuck with the players. I would say part of our aim is to reduce agent fees, but we actually seem proportionally spend more than anyone on agent fees. It seems to me though the club seem very content to allow players to leave on free transfers - if they didn't, we wouldn't have so many happen. 

13 hours ago, an tha said:

The only problem with them all staying is the wages - will we pay them and bring in what we need.

I'd happily see all 3 stay as squad players - Hendo to take the Milner role, Fabinho as a good option to start some, be a good rotation option and play the cups/uefa cup but mostly be on bench in league. Thiago is only available half the time anyway - but as an experienced old head to have around and play as and when, fair enough....

But the problem I see is we keep all 3 and we see them as highly paid first choices and therefore won't upgrade enough.

By moving away from bellingham, personally I think that also includes players who would join that group with vvd in and around 200k per week. I've no doubt our aim this summer is to keep wage spending about flat and I reckon we probably have about 80m to spend..

The other side of that is it's clear Bellingham may not move this season. If we free up fab and thiago off the wages next season, perhaps they get replaced with Bellingham (or similar).and bajcetic. 

12 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

I'd be very surprised if the majority of our signings don't fall into the 120k-180k bracket.

Yep that's exactly where I think we'll be aiming. Which to be fair is our comfort zone. 

11 hours ago, an tha said:

We won't improve our starting line up by bringing in players on the same wages we have been paying Keita and Oxlade.

What makes you say that? Bajcetic is a child and immediately improved our team when he came in. Jones has done the same since he's started playing again. Over the last few windows, we've signed Diaz, Nunez and gakpo all on those types of wages. Forwards have also traditionally earnt more than midfielders. If we signed the midfield equivalent of those lads, I think it would transform us.

As another example we've been linked with going back for tchouameni. He hasn't earnt a pay rise and while it's pretty hard to find his wages (spotrac don't seem to do la liga), and reports vary from about 120k-200k per week, the mid ground seems.to be about here on 150k. 

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/real-madrid-complete-100m-tchouameni-transfer-monaco/bltfaccb67be14f8f27

I think clearly we're not going to get players who are established in major leagues and big clubs, but I think it's reasonable to assume we.could buy players from lesser leagues, lower ranked clubs in big leagues or players struggling at big clubs quite easily and improve us.  And it'll be easy because the players will be replacing two who never get on the pitch and when they do are absolutely shit and another who's 37. 

• Upvote 1

Players fees and salary’s go up at a disproportionate rate.

Clubs and players want more and more every season. This isn’t a new thing, it’s been happening since Moses wore short pants.

Players have turned down us in the past because other clubs offered more - I remember videos of Shanks moaning about Lou Macari going to the mancs because they offered more money. It’s not a new thing and I’m sure it’s happened plenty times since.

Likewise, there will be players like VVD who accept less than other clubs because  he wants to play for Liverpool / Klopp.

If whoever we sign gets us back challenging on all fronts (and they contribute towards that success), then whatever the prices are is worth it.

I don’t see why anybody is getting their knickers in a twist here. When meeting or exceeding expectations, evidence clearly shows we pay our players incredibly well.

42 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

This is the biggest problem we might have this summer if they're in the CL. They'll just blow us out of the water. 

If somebody would rather pick 1 good season in 20 Newcastle above 1 bad season in 8 Liverpool (of which Newcastle still aren’t that much better than us), then I’m happy to miss out. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

And it'll be easy because the players will be replacing two who never get on the pitch and when they do are absolutely shit and another who's 37. 

But that is the point - it isn't those players we need to replace. It is Hendo/Fab/Thiago we need to be updrading - pushing them down to the bench/to being rotation options and therefore improving our starting line up and our overall depth as bench is better than was too.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

If somebody would rather pick 1 good season in 20 Newcastle above 1 bad season in 8 Liverpool (of which Newcastle still aren’t that much better than us), then I’m happy to miss out. 

I expect the vast majority wouldn't on that basis alone.  But many would if they also offer significantly better wages and better prospects.

4 minutes ago, Moo said:

I expect the vast majority wouldn't on that basis alone.  But many would if they also offer significantly better wages and better prospects.

Do you genuinely think Newcastle, 1 cup final this century, heading for their first CL qualification in 20 years, no title challenge since the 90’s, not won a trophy since the 1600’s, have better prospects than us? 

I get the wage thing and if it’s purely down to that, then Newcastle can have them.

If Grand Admiral Howe can sell Newcastle to a player better than Klopp can sell Liverpool, we have serious, fundamental problems. 

21 minutes ago, an tha said:

But that is the point - it isn't those players we need to replace. It is Hendo/Fab/Thiago we need to be updrading - pushing them down to the bench/to being rotation options and therefore improving our starting line up and our overall depth as bench is better than was too.

That's whats happening, when people say we're replacing Keita, Milner, Ox it's not a hierarchical replacement people are talking about, it's just the maths of moving three players out of the squad and bringing three new players in.

In your methodology we'd have to sell Fabinho, Henderson and Thiago in order to get the same players at which point Keita, Milner and Ox would still be leaving anyway.

11 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Do you genuinely think Newcastle, 1 cup final this century, heading for their first CL qualification in 20 years, no title challenge since the 90’s, not won a trophy since the 1600’s, have better prospects than us? 

...we have serious, fundamental problems. 

Yes we do have serious fundamental problems.