You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dogs,cats and other pets

Lee909

My dad rang me earlier he’s absolutely fuming. Lady over the back gets up for work at 5am, let’s the dog out for a shit while she gets a shower but shuts the door so the fucker spends 10 minutes barking waking him up. Anyway it died a few months ago so he was made up.

She’s only gone and got two Yorkshire terriers yappy as fuck and does the exact same routine but now it’s twice the kick off. To make matters worse next doors cat sits off on the shed winding them up so they’re kicking off at that all afternoon. 

My wife has been working away so I’ve been on animal duty this week - unfortunately I’ve made a almost grave mistake with the cat.

The cat is diabetic and needs insulin every night. Before she went, I asked my wife to write everything down. She didn’t do it but then I didn’t double check or read the instructions on the box.

Anyway, I’ve ended up giving it too much by accident. She was close to falling into a coma. I got her to a vets on Tuesday night just in time and they’ve stabilised her and she came home this evening - it’s cost a fucking fortune (and she’s not insured).

The cat has lost its sight and has some brain damage. It might come back, it might not. Apparently she’s doing better than other cats who have OD’d on insulin, so it potentially might.

I know it’s my fault, I’m not asking for sympathy, I’m devastated by it. The poor thing looked so helpless on Tuesday. 

My wife is really upset about the cat and I can tell she’s fuming with me. I’ve taken a loan to pay for the vets bill, which I haven’t complained about. Apparently the honey I gave the cat while calling the vets likely saved her. 

I’m dreading the absolute roasting that is eventually coming my way. I feel bad enough about it already. I’ll be stating I could have done the easy thing (ie leave her), I did the right & significantly more difficult / expensive thing. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

We viewed a rescue dog at the weekend. They're coming round this evening to do a home check. Looks like we're getting a dog. Missus has been signed up to all different shelters in the area and one came up that she fell in love with. Met him on Saturday and he's absolutely amazing. Nerves are kicking in though. 

• Upvote 4

On 09/06/2023 at 15:35, Scott_M said:

My wife has been working away so I’ve been on animal duty this week - unfortunately I’ve made a almost grave mistake with the cat.

The cat is diabetic and needs insulin every night. Before she went, I asked my wife to write everything down. She didn’t do it but then I didn’t double check or read the instructions on the box.

Anyway, I’ve ended up giving it too much by accident. She was close to falling into a coma. I got her to a vets on Tuesday night just in time and they’ve stabilised her and she came home this evening - it’s cost a fucking fortune (and she’s not insured).

The cat has lost its sight and has some brain damage. It might come back, it might not. Apparently she’s doing better than other cats who have OD’d on insulin, so it potentially might.

I know it’s my fault, I’m not asking for sympathy, I’m devastated by it. The poor thing looked so helpless on Tuesday. 

My wife is really upset about the cat and I can tell she’s fuming with me. I’ve taken a loan to pay for the vets bill, which I haven’t complained about. Apparently the honey I gave the cat while calling the vets likely saved her. 

I’m dreading the absolute roasting that is eventually coming my way. I feel bad enough about it already. I’ll be stating I could have done the easy thing (ie leave her), I did the right & significantly more difficult / expensive thing. 

Harsh on the wife in bold.

Has the cat made it through?

5 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Harsh on the wife in bold.

Has the cat made it through?

Ha.

Yes thanks, the cat has made a somewhat amazing recovery. 

Sight seems to be fully back. She was having little fits once when she came home but they seem to have stopped. No lasting signs of brain damage. Not as agile as he was but she’s 13 anyway and it likely took a lot out of her.