You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

Surely there an ageing veteran superstar striker warming the bench somewhere, fallen out of favour with their coach, who we can sign till the end of the season on loan, who can come in and inspire others around him.  Could have the same impact as Mcallister or Anelka. One last swan song and leave a legend.

4 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

He's out of contract in the summer so wouldn't cost much.

The slight problem is that he's not had a good game for about two years though!

I'd take him on loan if we are not buying a forward. He could at least offer a change of pace before running the ball out of play

5 hours ago, Reckoner said:

Surely there an ageing veteran superstar striker warming the bench somewhere, fallen out of favour with their coach, who we can sign till the end of the season on loan, who can come in and inspire others around him.  Could have the same impact as Mcallister or Anelka. One last swan song and leave a legend.

Ronaldo ticks those boxes.

7 hours ago, Reckoner said:

Adama Traore on loan? Is he still out of favour?

I'm not sure a technically limited, inefficient forward is what we need at the moment.

I'd push for a deal for someone like Zaha long before I even looked at Traore and I don't rate Zaha that highly.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Reckoner said:

Adama Traore on loan? Is he still out of favour?

Zaha is out of contract. I’d much sooner we signed him - plays on the left and though the middle, where we are short. 

Given his age and his importance to Palace, I doubt there would be a suitable figure that the clubs would agree on. I can see him leaving on a free. 

7 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

plays on the left and though the middle, where we are short. 

We're far more in need of a player who can play central and on the right long term.

If you bought another left/central player then if everyone is fit (I know) you'd have Jota, Diaz, Carvalho and Nunez whereas on the right you have Salah and, at a push, Elliott.

3 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

We're far more in need of a player who can play central and on the right long term.

If you bought another left/central player then if everyone is fit (I know) you'd have Jota, Diaz, Carvalho and Nunez whereas on the right you have Salah and, at a push, Elliott.

Given Zaha’s age, he’d only be a short term signing anyway. 

Agree long term we need to look to replace Mo, although given how he looks after himself, hopefully he’ll keep going like Messi. 

1 minute ago, Scott_M said:

Given Zaha’s age, he’d only be a short term signing anyway. 

Agree long term we need to look to replace Mo, although given how he looks after himself, hopefully he’ll keep going like Messi. 

Not really about Zaha, I've said a few times that if you need to add a number short term to the attack but you also want to commit most of your funds to another area it's the kind of move you'd have to do.

But there often seems to be a call for more let=ft sided players whether that's because everyone seems to be a left sided forward these days of because the injuries are creating a recency bias.

It's a shame Jota is always injured because I'd like to see what a Nunez/Jota/Salah front three would look like. I think Jota is far better centrally than Nunez and Nunez looks better with more running room from the left than he does centrally so far.

11 hours ago, Reckoner said:

I reckon the £200m per season he’s been offered elsewhere might be a stumbling block!

That and our press has been bad enough this season.

1 hour ago, El Dangerous said:

Zaha would be fine in a short term low risk might work out deal like with Shaqiri. It’s the sort of option you need to compete in cups and fringe games without burning your players out completely.

I agree. He’s obviously a bellend but he’s good player.

Has he won anything in his career? Maybe a couple of trophies for the mancs he won’t have contributed to.

A 2 year deal with the clear expectation

he comes in as back up but that’s up to him to change. Last chance to realistically contribute to winning something. 

Still, it would have to be done in the summer. Given his importance to Palace, I don’t see any fee being of value. 

7 minutes ago, Moctezuma said:

Does anyone reckon they'll just chuck in Doak/try and get Chamberlain and Carvalo to cover instead of getting another forward or short term cover?

That feels like a M.O. of the last few years

I don’t know on Doak. He’s only just 17. He obviously looks a talented player, I feel it might be a season too early.

Given more pressing concern’s elsewhere, I don’t think we’ll sign an attacker.

If he could stay fucking fit, id give Curtis Jones a run there. I’ve put a few times here why I don’t like him in midfield. He came into the side on the left wing, contributed well there in cup games against decent opposition and would allow him be more of the cheeky, off the cuff maverick he was then.

In summary, give him a run where he could do what he was good at , not shoehorning in somewhere he’s never looked comfortable.

24 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Apparently embargoed news breaking at 10:30 this evening. 

Liverpool FC are delighted to announce that Indonesian Airlines will be are new official short sponsors. 

Oh and Nabby Keita has ruptured his ego and won't play again