You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

14 hours ago, Lee909 said:

And so it begins

: Liverpool will need the riches of Champions League qualification in order to have any chance of financing a deal for Jude Bellingham

It's weird how constantly qualifying for the Champions league for the last five years hasn't given us any extra riches!

5 minutes ago, an tha said:

So without european cup football we would be fucked financially then?

Not a very good way to run the club really.

Arsenal for example have been out of it for 5 years now - but continue to spend and seem to be ok.

Getting to the final nearly every year and still not being able to spend like Arsenal. Somethings a miss.

13 minutes ago, an tha said:

So without european cup football we would be fucked financially then?

Not a very good way to run the club really.

Arsenal for example have been out of it for 5 years now - but continue to spend and seem to be ok.

Don't believe a word Pearce says 

16 million gross transfer spend difference between us and Arsenal between 2017 and 2021.

They've spent on the never never with loans (internal and external) chasing european football and have emptied what was one of the most financially healthy cash reserves in europe.

Of course recency bias will say that because the last 6 months have seen them in good form they're far better run than us despite the respective league finishes and performance on and off the pitch.

10 minutes ago, Freddo said:

Don't believe a word Pearce says 

Pearce hasn’t been clued up since he left The Echo imo. Everything he says is his opinion dressed in a suit and tie so it seems more knowledgeable. Foreign press is where it’s at as the leaks just aren’t coming from us anymore, the know nothing cunts on these shores know even less now.

10 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

16 million gross transfer spend difference between us and Arsenal between 2017 and 2021.

They've spent on the never never with loans (internal and external) chasing european football and have emptied what was one of the most financially healthy cash reserves in europe.

Of course recency bias will say that because the last 6 months have seen them in good form they're far better run than us despite the respective league finishes and performance on and off the pitch.

We have obviously performed much better than them on the park over last 5 years.....But by same token we should be pissing all over them financially as well and we clearly aren't - that worries me, it just does not seem to add up and it makes me wonder what things would be like if we hadn't been as successful as we have been over last 5 years.

I am sure our last reported revenue was around 150m higher than theirs....so we seem to make the money, but our costs must be ridiculously high as we spend so little on transfers comparatively.

Just now, an tha said:

We have obviously performed much better than them on the park over last 5 years.....But by same token we should be pissing all over them financially as well and we clearly aren't - that worries me, it just does not seem to add up and it makes me wonder what things would be like if we hadn't been as successful as we have been over last 5 years.

I am sure our last reported revenue was around 150m higher than theirs.

We aren't based on what?

At the moment the only thing I can see people saying is because they've spent more they are obviously better off financially.

In reality they've barely spent more than us and the only reason net spend weirdo's think they have is because they keep letting all their high earners leave on free transfers so the money coming in is shit.

10 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

We aren't based on what?

At the moment the only thing I can see people saying is because they've spent more they are obviously better off financially.

In reality they've barely spent more than us and the only reason net spend weirdo's think they have is because they keep letting all their high earners leave on free transfers so the money coming in is shit.

Unless we have masses of money in the bank we seem to have no tangible financial reward for all our success and huge income.

Our spending power is barely on a par with theirs when it should be easily outstripping them.....as i say we are obviously doing our money on having really high costs.

It's like a fella earning 100k a year but shelling out £5,000 a month rent etc so basically all his wages are tied up in rent and bills and a fella earning £30,000 but only paying £1,000 a month out....the lad on the lower wage actually has more spare cash.

• Upvote 1

Simple solution if you want parity is multiple years outside of the top 4, selling (sorry letting their contracts run down and releasing on a free) all our high earning players who are on two or three extensions and relying on kids and players you can't shift to hover between 8th and 5th for 5 or 6 years in the hope of pulling it together for 6 months so everyone think's you're well run.

2 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Simple solution if you want parity is multiple years outside of the top 4, selling all our high earning players who are on two or three extensions and relying on kids and players you can't shift to hover between 8th and 5th for 5 or 6 years.

I expect a club who have achieved what we have over the last few years to be able to spend when it desperately needs to, more money than clubs who have achieved far less and who have much lower annual revenues - that's all.

33 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

Pearce hasn’t been clued up since he left The Echo imo. Everything he says is his opinion dressed in a suit and tie so it seems more knowledgeable. Foreign press is where it’s at as the leaks just aren’t coming from us anymore, the know nothing cunts on these shores know even less now.

Spot on that is. All reliable links and chatter is from abroad. Not here anymore. 

37 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Getting to the final nearly every year and still not being able to spend like Arsenal. Somethings a miss.

The vast majority of this team was created by 2018 (with the step change being the Coutinho money) and got us to 3 CL in 5 years.

Even with the riches that has bought we now have one of, if not, the oldest teams in the league. Yes, there has been the pandemic, but the model no longer works - arguably it hasnt for quite some time - and had the owners got confidence it would they probably wouldn't be looking to sell the club and definetly wouldn't be looking for a minority investor. 

The difference now is non investment surely impacts the asset value and so surely the owners will authorise to mitigate the risk. At best the investment is already in place. 

Think someone on here said that if Bajcetic plays in the first team something would have gone badly wrong. Think that is now 8 appearances. Nice goal today though. 

With the threat we have going forwards if we get midfield sorted we will shoot right up the league. 

21 minutes ago, HBenn said:

Think someone on here said that if Bajcetic plays in the first team something would have gone badly wrong. Think that is now 8 appearances. Nice goal today though. 

With the threat we have going forwards if we get midfield sorted we will shoot right up the league. 

That was me, and I have to agree with myself, it was an absolutely spot on point.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

That was me, and I have to agree with myself, it was an absolutely spot on point.

Oh, sorry, it wasn't a dig. I completely agree with you. I just didn't want to sound like I was having a go at the lad himself as he is doing his best. 

It was more reflective of the situation. Not just one appearance but 8 and when you see the options Jurgen has available to him today to come on, however promising some of them may be, it says a lot about how important Jan is to us. This was the bench available before our marathon run of games.