You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

China v Taiwan

Bjornebye

2 hours ago, M_B said:

If it did kick off and the US got involved then the American navy would cut off the Taiwan Strait and its airforce would decimate Chinese airpower. It would be a very costly invasion, with no guarantee they'd win. 

America would be a long way from home and China probably supply them with half their equipment. They may start strong but it wouldn't stay that way for long.

4 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Would you ride Pelosi?

The initial answer is no but if I was in the pub rotten drunk and she'd been flirting like older birds do all night then it would be uncouth not to plough into it like a tomahawk missile into a Middle Eastern wedding 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Would you ride Pelosi?

Haha, nope. I was just thinking a bit ago though that I can't bring myself to loathe her like I do so many other politicians like her. I don't get the sense that she's a cunning malicious type of evil person, more stupid in several ways (not stupid making cash off stocks though clearly.) Not into her as a politician but I get the sense that she'd make a cool gran or something.

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

And nothing happened?

I think there's a bit more than nothing happening. And relations between China and the US could be worse now for a good while with all of the problems that brings too.

China has already announced it will be carrying out military exercises and live-fire drills in six zones surrounding Taiwan, forcing the island nation to look for alternate aviation and ship routes. Beijing has also imposed trade curbs, restricting imports of some food from Taiwan and exports of construction material.

According to foreign policy analyst and professor Harsh V Pant of the Delhi-based Observer Research Foundation, China's aggressive response stems from the fact that Beijing had already "backed itself into a corner" on the issue and had to seem like it was doing something.

Independent Live Updates

China has blocked imports from hundreds of Taiwanese food producers and temporarily suspended exports of natural sand to the country in what Taipei perceives as the opening shot in a campaign to punish it economically for a visit by US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

Since Monday night, when US and Taiwanese officials confirmed that Pelosi would travel to Taiwan to meet President Tsai Ing-wen on Wednesday, the China Customs Administration has suspended imports of more than 2,000 of about 3,200 food products from Taiwan.

Beijing has a long history of punishing other countries for behaviour it dislikes by cutting them off from its market and has made extensive use of such levers against Taiwan. But analysts and government officials said the move was a huge expansion of such economic warfare.

"In the past, China hit single products from the primary sector such as specific fruit or fish — that way, they kept the overall macroeconomic impact on Taiwan limited but could target regions where the Democratic Progressive party is strong," said Chiu Chui-cheng, deputy chair of the Mainland Affairs Council, Taiwan’s cabinet-level China policy body.

"But now they are broadening this immensely as they are targeting processed foods, that gives them enormous extortion powers," Chiu said. "This is probably only the beginning. We are certain that they will further step up their economic coercion measures."

China suspends 2,000 food products from Taiwan as Nancy Pelosi visits

According to foreign policy analyst and professor Harsh V Pant of the Delhi-based Observer Research Foundation, China's aggressive response stems from the fact that Beijing had already "backed itself into a corner" on the issue and had to seem like it was doing something.

"Once it [China] raised the decibel level so high, it meant that now it had to react." 

"Once it [China] raised the decibel level so high, it meant that now it had to react." 

That's harsh from professor Pant.

I am going on record saying Pelosi will not show up to the Heritage Foundation event.

Further will go on record saying I do not believe she has ever had anything to do with the Heritage Foundation.

Like Bloefeld, she is the shadowy head of the Heritage Foundation.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Like Bloefeld, she is the shadowy head of the Heritage Foundation.

One of the few fun aspects of being right wing these days is the sheer amount of stuff you can make up and people will not only swallow it, but get enraged by it. The world's your oyster.

"Hunter Biden is the head of the Blue Oyster cult, a deep state organisation which wants to turn aborted babies into a slave labour force designed to undermine the working man of America."

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

One of the few fun aspects of being right wing these days is the sheer amount of stuff you can make up and people will not only swallow it, but get enraged by it. The world's your oyster.

"Hunter Biden is the head of the Blue Oyster cult, a deep state organisation which wants to turn aborted babies into a slave labour force designed to undermine the working man of America."

Yeah, it's fucking inane.  Loads of right wingers taunt the left about being lazy, but to be fair it's the right who seem to spend most of the day surfing the web and creating or consuming the weird content. Lazy cunts, get a job.