You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Wokeism

Bjornebye

1 minute ago, Rico1304 said:

Not being a woman, no.  Being a husband and a dad to a girl - yes.  

If a Catholic stood in front of you and said ‘at mass on Sunday they turn wine into blood’ you could say - ‘that’s nonsense’

If a Jew stood in front of you and said ‘Moses made a snake that cured people of  illness’ you could say ‘that’s nonsense’. 

If a man, convicted of rape, stood in front of you and said ‘I’m a woman’ - you’d be considered a bigot for saying ‘that’s nonsense’. Furthermore people would bend over backwards for him just because he’s lied.  It’s mental. 

Don't tell me you've never put your dick between your legs and pretended you've got a fanny in the mirror. I do it at least twice a year when the opportunity arises. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Not being a woman, no.  Being a husband and a dad to a girl - yes.  

If a Catholic stood in front of you and said ‘at mass on Sunday they turn wine into blood’ you could say - ‘that’s nonsense’

If a Jew stood in front of you and said ‘Moses made a snake that cured people of  illness’ you could say ‘that’s nonsense’. 

If a man, convicted of rape, stood in front of you and said ‘I’m a woman’ - you’d be considered a bigot for saying ‘that’s nonsense’. Furthermore people would bend over backwards for him just because he’s lied.  It’s mental. 

And here I was, having spoken to you and Strontium this evening under the misapprehension that you were a modern day Elizabeth Eckford being set upon by screaming transgender folk every time you left the house and that stront's fear of bootlicking and face masks would make him a sub-par gimp.

How wrong I was.....well 1 out of 2 at least.

18 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

I have a habit of using He when the person I'm talking about is completely unidentifiable in e-mails.

Not sure if that just makes me sexist.

Only in the way the entire world is. I’m sure most of us will have done it in many situations.

I always say “he” by default when talking about another driver if I haven’t seen them to know it’s a woman already.

it’s the same as defaulting to saying “policeman” instead of police officer.

that’s the in built misogyny we all have from growing up and living in a male dominated world.

33 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

And here I was, having spoken to you and Strontium this evening under the misapprehension that you were a modern day Elizabeth Eckford being set upon by screaming transgender folk every time you left the house and that stront's fear of bootlicking and face masks would make him a sub-par gimp.

How wrong I was.....well 1 out of 2 at least.

You see you know it’s ridiculous.  You just can’t admit it or you’ll lose face.   

I think that’s the very definition of ‘woke’.  

6 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

You see you know it’s ridiculous.  You just can’t admit it or you’ll lose face.   

I think that’s the very definition of ‘woke’.  

If you wanted a serious response to your post I'd say that as a husband and a dad you should be more concerned about murderers/rapists who identify as men and murderers/rapists who identify as police officers.

But you seem to have far less energy for that fight.

1 hour ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I often think the chosen pronoun thing is a bit like pronouncing someone's name as they say it should be. You do it, even if you think they're wrong.

A friend of mine met a girl called Hermione, who pronounced it Herm-e-own.

Nah. 

There's a difference between how you define your own name and how you pressure someone to reject long established rules of the English language, under pain of censure. It's like me demanding that you have to refer to me while speaking in the style of Yoda. "Instead of Section 31 is a cunt", you'd have to say "a cunt, section_31 is", and if you didn't you got bollocked by people and were accused of killing me with your ignorance. 

It'd be different if there was some kind of medical/scientific consensus that non binary was a 'thing', like a new evolutionary step like the X Men.

But it's not, it's someone simply waking up one day and deciding that they have no gender - which is biologically and genetically impossible- and expecting you to change how you use the English language accordingly, or be called a bigot. Like that dickhead moaning about the station announcer who said "ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls", can't remember the details but I'm pretty sure Northern Rail or whoever it was actually apologised.

Most of it is pure attention seeking mentalism that's just been over indulged. You can tell because when you play along, often the shit gets more extreme. The hair gets dyed purple or the name gets changed to Bingo Funbags.

It's like some kind of infinite reduction, mass mental abuse which, by the end of it, just makes you want to throw your phone away and move to Guernsey.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

You have no idea how ridiculous you are.

Oh man, that’s the best come in TLW history. Hall of fucking Fame worthy. 

“No you are”. Can’t think why no one has used it before.  

You pretend you don’t know Sam Smith is a fucking bloke despite him fucking being one.  Emperor’s new clothes and you are at the front saying ‘Suits you, Sir’.  Absolutely hilarious.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

If you wanted a serious response to your post I'd say that as a husband and a dad you should be more concerned about murderers/rapists who identify as men and murderers/rapists who identify as police officers.

They are police, they don’t identify as police.  Like they are blokes.  It’s almost as if putting on a certain set of clothes doesn’t men that men become less predatory?  Can you see the fucking link yet? 

It seems to me that one group you’ve mentioned are vilified and there’s a whole lot of work trying to root them out, whilst the other one is being protected and given special treatment by MPs and useful idiots like you.  Well done. 

I haven’t got enough of an informed opinion on all this, mainly because it is so intricate and pretty much confusing, I can’t actually land on a track.

What I do think though, is what bollocks it is for those types that sneer at people who vocally question or object to the whole or parts of the movement using the argument of “you shouldn’t be that arsed because you’re not encountering it all the live long day”. So what? So because I haven’t personally witnessed or encountered any form of racism in my every day life for a good while, I shouldn’t be allowed to have an opinion on it? Because the only place I see or hear covid debate is on here and not in real life for literally months, that means I should not and have not got any insight into my feelings on it?

Debate is healthy even from those you don’t agree with. Have your say, listen to theirs. How anyone can say to someone else “you shouldn’t care because I don’t deem you to be involved enough” is ridiculous. Also, by saying you don’t care, really you’re saying you’re supporting it, which is fine, but dressing it up as this nonchalant and happy go lucky persona/trait.

There will 100% be people in here telling others they shouldn’t care or have a voice, while having posts in the little things or cunt identifiers thread wishing harm on people who drive badly or wear clothes they think are shit

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Looks like a fat bloke. I heard they prefer the pronoun "they" - not that I ever intend to use it, because I've got no reason to talk about the cunt.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to get back to my job as head of the IOC.

Are you going with the “If it looks like a duck, and it quacks like duck, it must be a duck” response?

13 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Looks like a fat bloke. I heard they prefer the pronoun "they" - not that I ever intend to use it, because I've got no reason to talk about the cunt.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to get back to my job as head of the IOC.

I've only got one thing to say to this ridiculous woke outburst. 

Can we have darts and snooker as Olympic sports. Please and thank you.

11 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

This is one the most ridiculous things ever typed on this forum (and I’ve posted a few myself) 

Are they like Joe Pesci in Hone Alone, pretending to be a policeman when he’s scoping the Mcallister’s house before they get off on holiday. 

Going back to the first part of your post, there is no hierarchy of concern, it’s an additional concern/worry about what dangers other men can be to your wife and your daughter. I’m already worried about for daughter when she gets older because I know what some men are like, history and experience through witnessing the disgusting behaviours in other males around women has shown me that. 

• Upvote 1

Holding the two ideas in your head is apparently possible.

1) some men are predatory and will use the cover of being a police officer to harm women.  We must make it harder for these people to use the cover of the police. 

2) Men who say they are women must be believed.  There’s no risk that they’ll use the cover of being a ‘woman’ to harm women. We must make it easier for them to ‘become women’.  

12 minutes ago, A Red said:

Sam Smith is a bloke, singular. That's it. Who would deny that? Apart from perhaps AoT.

There’s many people who’d deny it and respect his chosen pronouns and his non-binary approach to his gender. AoT isn’t some lone maniac on this. I mean, he might be a maniac, I don’t know, but he’s not alone. 

12 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Nah. 

There's a difference between how you define your own name and how you pressure someone to reject long established rules of the English language, under pain of censure. It's like me demanding that you have to refer to me while speaking in the style of Yoda. "Instead of Section 31 is a cunt", you'd have to say "a cunt, section_31 is", and if you didn't you got bollocked by people and were accused of killing me with your ignorance. 

It'd be different if there was some kind of medical/scientific consensus that non binary was a 'thing', like a new evolutionary step like the X Men.

But it's not, it's someone simply waking up one day and deciding that they have no gender - which is biologically and genetically impossible- and expecting you to change how you use the English language accordingly, or be called a bigot. Like that dickhead moaning about the station announcer who said "ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls", can't remember the details but I'm pretty sure Northern Rail or whoever it was actually apologised.

Most of it is pure attention seeking mentalism that's just been over indulged. You can tell because when you play along, often the shit gets more extreme. The hair gets dyed purple or the name gets changed to Bingo Funbags.

It's like some kind of infinite reduction, mass mental abuse which, by the end of it, just makes you want to throw your phone away and move to Guernsey.

Some fair points, but I feel you're somewhat conflating the use of words with the possible reaction to noncompliance, and working backwards from that. The angry mob, the supposed cancel culture, some purple-haired Millie Tant harpy shouting "bigot", I fully understand the aversion to. You'll get no argument from me on that. I've got friends who are very much in those circles, and I bristle and push back in my own way.

However, when it comes to just calling someone what they want, to me, it's no different to a name. I'll get arsey if they don't ask nicely, or take the high hat with me, but in my experience, outside the world of social media, the people who'd like you to use stuff like "they" are often the meekest souls. There's a real disparity between the loud voices online and the few people walking the streets. Like a friend of my sister's, Andy, who's non-binary. Nice bloke, I wince when I see his painted nails though, and I call him "non-binary Andy" behind his back, like. To his face though, I respect his wishes.

For the record, I'm just talking about pronouns here, not single sex spaces, rapists, or whatever. Just pronouns. I get that to some it's a slippery slope, and I respect that, we all draw the line somewhere. But words? Meh. Give it fifty years and it'll all change again.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Curly said:

I haven’t got enough of an informed opinion on all this, mainly because it is so intricate and pretty much confusing, I can’t actually land on a track.

What I do think though, is what bollocks it is for those types that sneer at people who vocally question or object to the whole or parts of the movement using the argument of “you shouldn’t be that arsed because you’re not encountering it all the live long day”. So what? So because I haven’t personally witnessed or encountered any form of racism in my every day life for a good while, I shouldn’t be allowed to have an opinion on it? Because the only place I see or hear covid debate is on here and not in real life for literally months, that means I should not and have not got any insight into my feelings on it?

Debate is healthy even from those you don’t agree with. Have your say, listen to theirs. How anyone can say to someone else “you shouldn’t care because I don’t deem you to be involved enough” is ridiculous. Also, by saying you don’t care, really you’re saying you’re supporting it, which is fine, but dressing it up as this nonchalant and happy go lucky persona/trait.

There will 100% be people in here telling others they shouldn’t care or have a voice, while having posts in the little things or cunt identifiers thread wishing harm on people who drive badly or wear clothes they think are shit

Do you think Sam Smith is a good singer mate? 

2 hours ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

This is one the most ridiculous things ever typed on this forum (and I’ve posted a few myself) 

Are they like Joe Pesci in Hone Alone, pretending to be a policeman when he’s scoping the Mcallister’s house before they get off on holiday. 

Going back to the first part of your post, there is no hierarchy of concern, it’s an additional concern/worry about what dangers other men can be to your wife and your daughter. I’m already worried about for daughter when she gets older because I know what some men are like, history and experience through witnessing the disgusting behaviours in other males around women has shown me that. 

Less gold teeth and flaming beanies, slightly more feathers.