You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

13 hours ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

This is fucking dreadful to watch. Feel so much for the staff. Grim as fuck.

From Google:

In 2019, according to NHS England, there were about 17,000 nursing and residential care homes in England housing about 400,000 people. They were prescribed an average of seven medicines a day, and 14% of the residents were 85 or over.

Imagine the chaos like this potentially in every single one of those care homes.

Another one from Sky broadcast yesterday from Liverpool. Fucking heartbreaking. 

Have the BBC put out similar content ?

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-why-care-homes-are-the-scandal-among-scandals-during-this-pandemic-11971795

9 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Basically confirms that the government cherry picked scientific advice to suit their own herd immunity agenda.  BJ and his cabinet have blood on their hands.  They should face criminal charges. 

Also, The Science, that everyone placed so much stock in back in March, was not only disputed by other scientists, but included political assumptions that greatly altered the outputs used by politicians to make policy decisions.

The idea that the process wasn't intrinsically political, and therefore anyone who wasn't an epidemiologist should have just shut up and accepted it, is laughable.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, TK421 said:

"Different trajectories", that's a nice way of saying we're fucked.  The whole lot of them should be behind bars.

I really do find this soft soaping of the government by the media to be amazing. Given the apocalyptic coverage of Spain and Italy it's completely absent from UK coverage now we're surpassing them. The government knew this was coming and did nothing in February far too focused on the BBC. We even had a couple of weeks notice from Italy.

1 hour ago, SasaS said:

I'm truly amazed how many people have the energy to discuss something so trivial and ephemeral as an expense allowance for MP's offices for 2 (or is it 3 already?) days now in the middle of the biggest health crisis in the last 100 years. Impressive level of pettiness.

Come on lad, you've been here long enough to know how this place works.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SasaS said:

I'm truly amazed how many people have the energy to discuss something so trivial and ephemeral as an expense allowance for MP's offices for 2 (or is it 3 already?) days now in the middle of the biggest health crisis in the last 100 years. Impressive level of pettiness.

I'm amazed that people had the energy to discuss making sure MPs had printers when NHS staff don't have PPE

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, clangers said:

I really do find this soft soaping of the government by the media to be amazing. Given the apocalyptic coverage of Spain and Italy it's completely absent from UK coverage now we're surpassing them. The government knew this was coming and did nothing in February far too focused on the BBC. We even had a couple of weeks notice from Italy.

Coverage always tends to be more anesthetized when it's your own horrors, also, the epidemic seems to be more evenly spread in UK than in Italy at this level so the hospitals may not be completely overwhelmed in hotspots yet, at least not to the level they were in and around Bergamo.  And those early stories probably served the purpose of telling people it was serious.

The numbers have been desensitized over the last few weeks, in the beginning reports from Italy of 100 a day was stunning, then 500 became the norm and then onto 800-900 daily until after a week or so 900 wasn't shocking any more. Yesterday Spain recorded 500 deaths and it's reported as good news.

I honestly don't know what number it will take in the UK for the press to actually start asking serious questions, my guess is north of 2000 per day.

2 hours ago, SasaS said:

Yep lets not discuss the ineptitudes of your beloved tories who are making an absolute pigs arse of an already shitty situation. You must work for the BBC. Its hardly even being mentioned anyway in comparison with everything else. Idiot.