You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

14 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

There’s fucking tons of stuff to be angry about in regards to the government’s handling and preparedness of this crisis, but the expenses thing seems a red herring to me.

The expenses allocation for me is just yet another example of the under prepared nature of the government. So they're reacting by just chucking money around without any thought for the impact. In the grand scheme of things this is peanuts. And like all expense schemes, some people will take the piss - and it's much easier to have a scandal that reflects on opposition MPs as much as your own rather than reflect on the mismanagement of the country by 10 years of Tory rule. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Aw Geez said:

I'm amazed that people had the energy to discuss making sure MPs had printers when NHS staff don't have PPE

Again though, one has absolutely zero to do with the other and if you're pushing that narrative it's simply because you can't be arsed reading up.

Again, PPE is nothing to do with money or not being able to afford it as a country, and that somehow by withdrawing that overdraft we can now afford it. It's come about due to a lack of planning/organising. 

Ask yourself why the papers that constantly push this 'snouts in the trough' narrative like the Mail and the Express, are the papers which are least likely to criticize the government itself, or Johnson, hedge fund managers, oligarchs, or social and financial injustice in general. How come they crusade against 'MPs' as a profession? Or seek to sow mistrust between voters and elected representatives? 

There is, and has been for ages, a concerted drive to create the feeling that they're 'all the same', 'all in it for what they can get'. It works especially well with the working class and essentially stops them taking part in the political process, or often even voting altogether.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Again though, one has absolutely zero to do with the other and if you're pushing that narrative it's simply because you can't be arsed reading up.

Again, PPE is nothing to do with money or not being able to afford it as a country, and that somehow by withdrawing that overdraft we can now afford it. It's come about due to a lack of planning/organising. 

Ask yourself why the papers that constantly push this 'snouts in the trough' narrative like the Mail and the Express, are the papers which are least likely to criticize the government itself, or Johnson, hedge fund managers, oligarchs, or social and financial injustice in general. How come they crusade against 'MPs' as a profession? Or seek to sow mistrust between voters and elected representatives? 

There is, and has been for ages, a concerted drive to create the feeling that they're 'all the same', 'all in it for what they can get'. It works especially well with the working class and essentially stops them taking part in the political process, or often even voting altogether.

Its petty to even mention it apparently mate. 

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

Meanwhile in India, ten tourists have been forced to write ‘sorry’ 500 times after breaching the country’s lockdown.

I’ll be very disappointed if they weren’t soundly beaten with long wooden sticks first.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

For me the lack of PPE is indicative of the NHS being treated as an afterthought for the last ten years. It's synonymous with cuts to the NHS and therefore everything to do with money/resources and how they're allocated.

That being the case, it feels like a right slap in the face when MPs, the vast majority of which are Tories, are given a £10k Brucey Bonus. 

If any of them had an ounce of self respect they would reject the kind offer of £10k and divert it to the NHS.  Their £70k+ annual salary should be enough for a new laptop for themselves and their staff. 

2 minutes ago, TK421 said:

For me the lack of PPE is indicative of the NHS being treated as an afterthought for the last ten years. It's synonymous with cuts to the NHS and therefore everything to do with money/resources and how they're allocated.

That being the case, it feels like a right slap in the face when MPs, the vast majority of which are Tories, are given a £10k Brucey Bonus. 

If any of them had an ounce of self respect they would reject the kind offer of £10k and divert it to the NHS.  Their £70k+ annual salary should be enough for a new laptop for themselves and their staff. 

It wasn't exactly a bruce bonus but to be fair as if any of them don't already have laptops etc. 

Hancock asked to apologize for the lack of PPE for frontline staff. 
He was so far away from apologising, you’d swear he was at a different conference. 

The ducking and diving going on has to be seen to be believed!

4 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

There is a shortage worldwide - it is two different points.

Use the £10k each MP gets to make more of it, then. If there's a shortage it needs prioritising.  Laptops for MPs can wait, there are lives on the line.

Also, you're conveniently ignoring the "last ten years" part of my post and focusing on the here and now.  

1 minute ago, Barry Wom said:

It's the 1st time in a few days I've watched this government propaganda show. Hancock would be the easiest bloke in the world to play poker against as the cunt is a terrible liar. I don't know why I've put this on today, I just get wound up as I don't believe what him or the scientists say. 

It's unwatchable claptrap.

Just now, TK421 said:

It's unwatchable claptrap.

It is fucking bollocks isn’t it. Every answer drags on and on to the point nobody gives a shit what is being said, although it’ll be shite anyway. 

I’m sick of hearing “If we keep lockdown / practising social distancing, it’s the public’s responsibility and it’s up to them to get us through this quicker”.

While true, just fuck off. IMO, it just a smacks of blaming the public if death tolls are beyond excessively excessive. Lockdown etc isn’t perfect but where I live, I think people are doing the best they can. There will be some not adhering to it but I’m sure that’s the same everywhere, it’s never going to be 100% perfect. 

How about the government sorts out it’s fucking testing, so like Germany, those who are clear start going on with the rest of their lives and those with the virus can continue to isolate. 

This isn’t the public’s fault, it’s the governments bullshit response. 

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Also, you're conveniently ignoring the "last ten years" part of my post and focusing on the here and now.  

That is because imo, the last 10 years have nothing to do with an acute worldwide shortage of PPE. There would never be a sufficient "stockpile" of those under any circumstances. 

You could argue that the system would be more robust.