You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

So here's a thought. Are Europe shutting ports and stopping flights to throw Johnson under a bus? They know he's playing us all. They know he's about to do the same over Brexit and blame them when talks fail. So they've gone fuck it, call his bluff. He either needs to admit this strain is no different to all the others or he has to cope with our supply chain being fucked to Europe right before Christmas and Brexit. 

6 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

So here's a thought. Are Europe shutting ports and stopping flights to throw Johnson under a bus? They know he's playing us all. They know he's about to do the same over Brexit and blame them when talks fail. So they've gone fuck it, call his bluff. He either needs to admit this strain is no different to all the others or he has to cope with our supply chain being fucked to Europe right before Christmas and Brexit. 

Maybe they don't want to take chances and are doing it for the stated 48 hours to devise a more coordinated response and assess all the information. I don't think there's much political skulduggery involved, particularly when a fair few non-EU countries are suspended flights from the UK too. 

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

The Northern Ireland thing is twisting my melon. We were gonna go back for the window and see her folks. In an ideal world we'd have swerved it this year, but her dad has got dementia. He's still "with us" but you never know when it's gonna be the last Christmas together with everyone healthy. There's already a six week lockdown been put in place from boxing day and we're due to travel back the day after. We actually had our own "Christmas day" today with presents and dinner thinking we wouldn't be here for Christmas day.

Stormont are meeting now over this new strain business now too. Things seem to be changing by the hour. Even if by some miracle we get to go, all things considered the stars are aligning to make it one of the most stressful experiences imaginable.

Yeah me and the wife are due to go over. I have to go - my two fucking kids are there already! We wouldn't have sent them to the in laws but they finished school and me and the wife were both still working (she's a teacher surrounded by kids all day, I had to work from the office on Friday). Plus, you know, the Prime Minister told us Christmas was going ahead the other day.

They'll have to put a gun to my head to stop me getting on that plane (or boat). Maybe they will? 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Maybe they don't want to take chances and are doing it for the stated 48 hours to devise a more coordinated response and assess all the information. I don't think there's much political skulduggery involved, particularly when a fair few non-EU countries are suspended flights from the UK too. 

But this variant has been around for months. They notified WHO in September. There's been recorded cases as far afield as Australia. As much as they pretend it's all brand new, they knew it's prevalence in November enough to be recording it, because that was part of yesterday's slide show. It was something like 25% of all cases in certain areas and now is 75% or something (I can't quite rember the stats and don't know if the slide deck is available online). 

I read last week there has been 4000 different mutations of this virus. The British government are fuckinh liars, nothing they say can be taking as truthful. My instant reaction to hearing about this is they are fucking lying again. One way to clear the massive queues forming all over the country is to shut the ports. One way to move headlines away from the absolute shit show that is Brexit is spread terror through their buddies in the media. They're horrible cunts the lot of them, they all deserve to die slow painful deaths.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

But this variant has been around for months. They notified WHO in September. There's been recorded cases as far afield as Australia. As much as they pretend it's all brand new, they knew it's prevalence in November enough to be recording it, because that was part of yesterday's slide show. It was something like 25% of all cases in certain areas and now is 75% or something (I can't quite rember the stats and don't know if the slide deck is available online). 

Actually, here's the slide. 

Screenshot_20201220-230147.jpg

2 minutes ago, No2 said:

I read last week there has been 4000 different mutations of this virus. The British government are fuckinh liars, nothing they say can be taking as truthful. My instant reaction to hearing about this is they are fucking lying again. One way to clear the massive queues forming all over the country is to shut the ports. One way to move headlines away from the absolute shit show that is Brexit is spread terror through their buddies in the media. They're horrible cunts the lot of them, they all deserve to die slow painful deaths.

As much as I genuinely hate the cunts I don’t think they have this much foresight.

I think we have to just sit this one out patiently and wait and see.

It’s fucking bleak, I know.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, No2 said:

Hard to disagree with any of this. This government is taking a wrecking ball to the country and they are finding it's not getting the job done, so they're going for the C4. 

Just now, Bruce Spanner said:

As much as I genuinely hate the cunts I don’t think they have this much foresight.

I think we have to just sit this one out patiently and wait and see.

Its ducking bleak, I know.

Maybe on the ports issue I have given them to much credit. But on Brexit that was easy, scare the shit out of people and change the narrative. 

8 minutes ago, No2 said:

Maybe on the ports issue I have given them to much credit. But on Brexit that was easy, scare the shit out of people and change the narrative. 

I completely get it, but this is a blindside.

This isn’t politics, well maybe a little, this is something else.

Extrapolate, this doesn’t help us in the slightest, so why would we do it?

This makes things worse, both actual and potential damages, for us. The last thing we need is to be plague island.

As I said I fucking hate them and want to see them all prosecuted, but this feels different from the usual nonsense.

4 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I completely get it, but this is a blindside.

This isn’t politics, well maybe a little, this is something else.

Extrapolate, this doesn’t help us in the slightest, so why would we do it?

This makes things worse, both actual and potential damages, for us. The last thing we need is to be plague island.

As I said I fucking hate them and want to see them all prosecuted, but this feels different.

They have to do it to get another lockdown through but because they have handled it so badly a lockdown for Christmas under the current rules wouldn't have been accepted. Everything they do is either PR or a lie or usually both. It comes natural for them to lie, it's as simple as that for me, nothing they say can be believed unfortunately. 

28 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

It's until January 1st at least here. 

6 minutes ago, No2 said:

They have to do it to get another lockdown through but because they have handled it so badly a lockdown for Christmas under the current rules wouldn't have been accepted. Everything they do is either PR or a lie or usually both. It comes natural for them to lie, it's as simple as that for me, nothing they say can be believed unfortunately. 

Tjey can get another lockdown through, they have an eighty seat majority and an opposition which is pulling its hair out at the incompetence so it needs to support whatever measures these incompetent cunts put through to make sure something is done.

This is the worst PR ever! 

We are in complete agreement though that they can’t be trusted, but this isn’t in any way what they would have wanted, it’s what they needed to do and the international response echos that.

They are the worst governance at the worst time, but this feels like a genuine ‘shit, this is a fucking mess’ moment.

It really is a tragedy that we got a populist government when we need a realist one.

2 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Tjey can get another lockdown through, they have an eighty seat majority and an opposition which is pulling its hair out at the incompetence so it needs to support whatever measures these incompetent cunts put through to make sure something is done.

We are in complete agreement though that they can’t be trusted, but this isn’t in any way what they would have wanted, it’s what they needed to do and the international response echos that.

They are the worst governance at the worst time, but this feels like a genuine ‘shit, this is a fucking mess’ moment.

An "excuse" for Johnson to request an extension to the Brexit transition period perhaps?  Not that he should need it, it's the most obviously sensible thing to do, but his party and the country is full of head-bangers.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Moo said:

An "excuse" for Johnson to request an extension to the Brexit transition period perhaps?  Not that he should need it, it's the most obviously sensible thing to do, but his party and the country is full of head-bangers.

An extension is only needed if you want a deal.

All reports point to that not being the case.

Headbangers, indeed.

We would have thrown ourselves off a cliff without covid being the problem it is.

I don’t think this is politics, I think our lot are so far down a rabbit hole, of incompetence of, their own arrogance and entitlement, that they really have no fucking clue what to do.

7 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

An extension is only needed if you want a deal.

All reports point to that not being the case.

Headbangers, indeed.

We would have thrown ourselves off a cliff without covid being the problem it is.

I don’t think this is politics, I think our lot are so far down a rabbit hole, of incompetence of, their own arrogance and entitlement, that they really have no fucking clue what to do.

Agree that they ultimately don't want a deal but I think it's possible that even the head-bangers in their own party might agree that now is not the best time.

13 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

It really is a tragedy that we got a populist government when we need a realist one.

They needed to keep their MPs onside though. They know the only way to keep the loony right quiet (how fucking mad is that considering how right the cabinet is) as they have no support within the party for further lockdowns. What went through a few weeks ago after lockdown2 was supposed to be the end of it. They made a compromise to keep London open despite it having higher figures than other areas consigned to tier 3, so once it went wrong, once they needed to cancel Christmas, they needed a new bogeyman. 

7 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

They needed to keep their MPs onside though. They know the only way to keep the loony right quiet (how fucking mad is that considering how right the cabinet is) as they have no support within the party for further lockdowns. What went through a few weeks ago after lockdown2 was supposed to be the end of it. They made a compromise to keep London open despite it having higher figures than other areas consigned to tier 3, so once it went wrong, once they needed to cancel Christmas, they needed a new bogeyman. 

This is beyond anything these cunts could muster.

A mutant strain that is far worse than the worst thing that has happened to the world since fuck knows what, which leaves us completely isolated from the world?

I just don’t see it. 

I know these are bad, but this is really pushing it.

All objective evidence points to this being very real.

14 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

This is beyond anything these cunts could muster.

A mutant strain that is far worse than the worst thing that has happened to the world since fuck knows what, which leaves us completely isolated from the world?

I just don’t see it. 

I know these are bad, but this is really pushing it.

All objective evidence points to this being very real.

I don't think they will have expected the global reaction because they're thick as shit. They were just doing the usual tory thing - whatever it takes for the good of the party.