Quantcast
Crystal Palace 1 Liverpool 2 (Nov 23 2019) - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
tlw content

Crystal Palace 1 Liverpool 2 (Nov 23 2019)

Recommended Posts

 

 
dave_usher.jpg
 
Report by
Dave Usher

 

A great man once wrote (and sang) “I’m feeling like a Monday but someday I’ll be Saturday night”. We’ve been Monday for a long time, but it’s Saturday night now and we’re partying. This is some historic shit we’re living through. We’ll be telling our grandkids about this team and their crazy match winning exploits.

 

There are all sorts of facts and stats I could throw at you here, about unbeaten runs, points totals over a rolling period of games (101 over the last 38 apparently), all the late winners etc. But there was something I saw on Twitter today which probably sums it up better than anything; in the last 18 months we’ve played in more Champions League finals than we’ve lost league games. Amazing. 

 

It’s mad. What we’re seeing is unprecedented in this country. No-one has done this before. Man City have matched (surpassed, actually) the run of league results but they didn’t have the European success running parallel with it. So yeah, what we’re seeing right now is historic.

 

The performance at Palace was mediocre to say the least. But we won. Again. It’s what this team does. All the time. Did we deserve it? Probably not, but you don’t get points based on performance. Sometimes you just can’t produce your normal level for a variety of reasons and when that happens most teams, even good ones, drop points. The very best teams don’t though. 

 

Palace will feel they merited a point and they may be right. When they equalised I certainly didn’t think we’d been hard done by and Klopp said as much too. It hadn’t exactly 'been coming' but it wasn’t a massive shock either. We’d had the chance to put them away but we hadn’t taken it and it looked like we might pay the price when we conceded with eight minutes left. Then we just rallied and won the game again. The resilience of this team is like nothing I can remember.

 

 

This is just a teaser, click to view the full article

 

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's no chance Lovren deflects the flick-on? As you say, it's all academic as it's an obvious foul anyway, but still.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really need to beat Napoli and then take the piss with a Carabao cup line-up in Salzburg. If we could get those stabby Italian gobshites out that would be good , and a week off for the first team ( I assume you can still use kids from outside the original squad like on FM ? )

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More Champions League final appearances in the last 18 months than League losses.

That's fucking staggering.

Someone should post that little tidbit on Everton's GOT forum and see if they can just break the fucking Internet with fume levels.

I'd feel a lot more comfortable if the 3 teams trailing us would all just drop some points in the next game or two just to give us that little extra breathing space, but fuck it it's in our hands now and I doubt that anyone could have predicted how this season has unfolded thus far.  I get the impression there'll no letting up or blowing it, there's a calmness and focus about the team now, this is fully Klopp's team.  Traditionally we go up through the gearbox going into the New Year, so hopefully we can capitalize on that resilience in the meantime and enjoy the run down the home straight while handing out a few twattings for good measure and give a chance for people's fingernails to grow back a bit.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great report as usual Dave ! 

 

I see what you mean with Hendo off, but why is Gini swapping position ?

 

Great stuff with the champions league finals and the league defeats, it’s mental indeed. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone is baffled about how the Tories are on the brink of romping home in the upcoming election on their manifesto of inflicting more cruelty and malice on the populace, they could do worse than look at how almost every fan of a Premier League team is siding with Ben Johnson FC over Liverpool. I can understand it from supporters of Everton and Man Utd, with whom there is a long-standing direct rivalry - and even then, there are a few Man Utd fans who are sanguine about the prospect as they've had a good run and are against what Ben Johnson FC stands for - but what motivates supporters of the likes of (say) Wolves and Newcastle to want a club who are an embodiment of all that is evil in the world to triumph over Liverpool? The answer, I think, comes from politics. People in modern day Britain have bought into the notion that things are shit for them because people who are a little different from them, whether it be because of what they eat or the extent to which they will lie down and accept police/media malfeasance, are the source of all their woes and not because robber barons have brought about a situation where the participants, either in terms of sports teams or members of the labour force, are effectively serfs. I'm planning to move back to Liverpool in 2020, a move I resisted throughout 2019 partly because the England I moved to in 2001 is a very different place to England in 2019, a difference exemplified by bigots who were once on the fringe now being in the mainstream and sporting competition where the authorities are either unable or unwilling to do anything to apply the rules. Amidst all the negotiations that have taken place with my wife about the prospect of moving, we seem to agree on one thing - the idea that our little Irish boy is going to live anywhere in England other than Liverpool can get to fuck. 

  • Upvote 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, manwiththestick said:

Lingardinho! I'm both appalled and embarrassed on the chance this exists somewhere.

It's bound to exist somewhere - there are just too many Manc parallel universes for it not to.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I said before this game I doubt whether there is an opposition fan who has left the match after playing us saying, “ fair play, you’re a great side that deserves to win the league”.  Nothing changed here but, as Dave says, it would nice to have some good performances and comfortable wins to judge alongside our spirit and pragmatism. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, scudger99 said:

More Champions League final appearances in the last 18 months than League losses.

That's fucking staggering.

Someone should post that little tidbit on Everton's GOT forum and see if they can just break the fucking Internet with fume levels.

I'd feel a lot more comfortable if the 3 teams trailing us would all just drop some points in the next game or two just to give us that little extra breathing space, but fuck it it's in our hands now and I doubt that anyone could have predicted how this season has unfolded thus far.  I get the impression there'll no letting up or blowing it, there's a calmness and focus about the team now, this is fully Klopp's team.  Traditionally we go up through the gearbox going into the New Year, so hopefully we can capitalize on that resilience in the meantime and enjoy the run down the home straight while handing out a few twattings for good measure and give a chance for people's fingernails to grow back a bit.

Starting Sunday, Leicester have some piss easy games coming up before they play city and ourselves in the space of 5 days. They play everton (H), watford (H), Villa (A), Norwich (H). I cannot see them dropping any points before they play the two big games if Im honest and could be breathing down our necks seeing as our west ham game is postponed due to the Dubai jolly.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Starting Sunday, Leicester have some piss easy games coming up before they play city and ourselves in the space of 5 days. They play everton (H), watford (H), Villa (A), Norwich (H). I cannot see them dropping any points before they play the two big games if Im honest and could be breathing down our necks seeing as our west ham game is postponed due to the Dubai jolly.

There's the thing though, nobody would have seen Citeh or even the Blooshite (at home) dropping points to Norwich.

I can't see them winning all 4 of those games, although Leicester do have recent history of defying expectations.  I do see them drawing at least one of those.  And them drawing against city would be handy for us too.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, deiseach said:

If anyone is baffled about how the Tories are on the brink of romping home in the upcoming election on their manifesto of inflicting more cruelty and malice on the populace, they could do worse than look at how almost every fan of a Premier League team is siding with Ben Johnson FC over Liverpool. I can understand it from supporters of Everton and Man Utd, with whom there is a long-standing direct rivalry - and even then, there are a few Man Utd fans who are sanguine about the prospect as they've had a good run and are against what Ben Johnson FC stands for - but what motivates supporters of the likes of (say) Wolves and Newcastle to want a club who are an embodiment of all that is evil in the world to triumph over Liverpool? The answer, I think, comes from politics. People in modern day Britain have bought into the notion that things are shit for them because people who are a little different from them, whether it be because of what they eat or the extent to which they will lie down and accept police/media malfeasance, are the source of all their woes and not because robber barons have brought about a situation where the participants, either in terms of sports teams or members of the labour force, are effectively serfs. I'm planning to move back to Liverpool in 2020, a move I resisted throughout 2019 partly because the England I moved to in 2001 is a very different place to England in 2019, a difference exemplified by bigots who were once on the fringe now being in the mainstream and sporting competition where the authorities are either unable or unwilling to do anything to apply the rules. Amidst all the negotiations that have taken place with my wife about the prospect of moving, we seem to agree on one thing - the idea that our little Irish boy is going to live anywhere in England other than Liverpool can get to fuck. 

Football aside, would you say the social and people  differences between Liverpool and cities like Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield and others are so significant you’d have no problems raising your Irish lad in Liverpool, other cities being an absolute no? Interesting. Do you really feel the difference is that huge?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JustTosh said:

Football aside, would you say the social and people  differences between Liverpool and cities like Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield and others are so significant you’d have no problems raising your Irish lad in Liverpool, other cities being an absolute no? Interesting. Do you really feel the difference is that huge?

Good question. If opportunity or necessity brought us to any of those places then I'd imagine we'd make it work. You'd have to, I guess. We're moving through choice though, and given the 'choice' Liverpool is unquestionably the most attractive location, and not just because of the football. I imagine we could carve out a niche for ourselves in Manchester, less so in Sheffield, Leeds or others and so on. And if she had proposed moving to Berkshire where she grew up with John Redwood as her MP...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/11/2019 at 18:14, tlw content said:

 

A great man once wrote (and sang) “I’m feeling like a Monday but someday I’ll be Saturday night”.

Jon Bon Jovi by any chance Dave ??????

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×