You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City - the new bitters?

Naz17

I know Dave and a few others have stressed how lucky we are to be watching the current team.

For nearly 4 seasons (aside from a 14 game aberration in the middle of last season) we are experiencing a once in a generation, points accumulation. 

Aside from the zero CB period from WBA to Fulham last season, we have played 125 league games since the CL final defeat to Real Madrid and have won 310 points. That's the equivalent of over 3 x 94 point seasons. Even including the rotten 14 game run last season, it is still 3.75 seasons of 89 points.  We only achieved 89 points once since the introduction of 3 points for a win in the early eighties. 

It's fucking bananas.  

• Upvote 8

11 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

No, she pushed him (she didn’t push him over, he stumbled, he didn’t fall over) after one of them had hit her son. She then got hit, in the face. 

I know mate. I was making the point that SD had started by saying she hit him, so the reaction was appropriate. Then he moved along with the argument saying differentiating between a hit and a push is semantics as they are pretty much the same thing bizarrely. Or maybe not so bizarrely when you consider his form for contortionist argument building.

Unless you buzz off the back and forths you have with him, I honestly don’t know why you bother. I won’t anymore.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Salou said:

I feel so sorry for Klopp and this team, as Trent says they should have been winning atleast one of the major trophies per season since 2018 but for reasons out of their hand they haven't. 

Sounds a bit like Evertonians in the eighties when they had a great team but only the second best team in the land 

12 hours ago, Razoray said:

I know Dave and a few others have stressed how lucky we are to be watching the current team.

For nearly 4 seasons (aside from a 14 game aberration in the middle of last season) we are experiencing a once in a generation, points accumulation. 

Aside from the zero CB period from WBA to Fulham last season, we have played 125 league games since the CL final defeat to Real Madrid and have won 310 points. That's the equivalent of over 3 x 94 point seasons. Even including the rotten 14 game run last season, it is still 3.75 seasons of 89 points.  We only achieved 89 points once since the introduction of 3 points for a win in the early eighties. 

It's fucking bananas.  

If you cut last season into thirds, the first 3rd we had the highest points total in the league, second 3rd we had the injury situation and things went to shit, third 3rd we had the highest points total in the league. 

I reckon we would have been in with a decent shout of the champions league too, although the final vs man City might have caused me a heart attack. 

It's so upsetting thinking about how things could have gone if pickford hadn't made that challenge. 

1 minute ago, Aventus said:

If you cut last season into thirds, the first 3rd we had the highest points total in the league, second 3rd we had the injury situation and things went to shit, third 3rd we had the highest points total in the league. 

I reckon we would have been in with a decent shout of the champions league too, although the final vs man City might have caused me a heart attack. 

It's so upsetting thinking about how things could have gone if pickford hadn't made that challenge. 

That will never get mentioned by anyone outside of the club. Fans and media don't look at the reasons they just sen us lose loads of games on the bounce and declare the team as "finished".

I bet Pep didn't buy into it though, he'll have been sat in his little home office with clippings about Liverpool and Klopp all over the walls at 3am studying our team and results under a little desk lamp, drawing graphs, muttering to himself into a dictophone about us being the pain in his ass and how many more millions he needs to spend, he knew the reasons for our drop in form and 100% would still be worried about us this season whilst other experts predicted we'd struggle to stay top four, and Utd would challenge.

That period was a massive outlier.

14 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

That will never get mentioned by anyone outside of the club. Fans and media don't look at the reasons they just sen us lose loads of games on the bounce and declare the team as "finished".

I bet Pep didn't buy into it though, he'll have been sat in his little home office with clippings about Liverpool and Klopp all over the walls at 3am studying our team and results under a little desk lamp, drawing graphs, muttering to himself into a dictophone about us being the pain in his ass and how many more millions he needs to spend, he knew the reasons for our drop in form and 100% would still be worried about us this season whilst other experts predicted we'd struggle to stay top four, and Utd would challenge.

That period was a massive outlier.

A massive outlier indeed. We lost 6 games at home. We hadn't lost at home in the league in 68 games (3.5 seasons) and since that run, we are unbeaten in 16 (12 wins and 4 draws) at Anfield. 

We lost 6 games in 80 and they were all in a row. It was a crazy time

We play them in between our next rounds CL fixtures and it looks like our game vs them is re-scheduled for 4:30 on Sunday 10th April

If either team plays their second champions league quarter final leg on Tuesday 12th April then it will be re-scheduled again for 5:30 on Sat 9th.

Going to be a crazy week that one.

I've got no idea what kind of fixture dates suit us best, but there's a real possibility we could play them 3 times in a row.

City's last 8 league games:

Beat Brentford 1-0

Very lucky to beat Arsenal 2-1

Beat Chelsea 1-0

Drew with Southampton 1-1

Beat Brentford 2-0

Beat Norwich 4-0

Lost to Spurs 3-2

Very lucky to beat Everton 1-0.

They are picking up points but they aren't playing well at all. Aside from the Norwich game they are scraping over the line. Today was a fucking robbery but they will continue to struggle and it will catch up with them again

Unfortunately, the Tottenham and Southampton results apart, they are winning ugly, and that’s how you win titles.

I still believe they’d weaken their team (if that’s possible with their squad) for league games if it meant they played full strength in the CL quarters or semi’s, depending on who they were drawn against.

I’d love them and Chelsea matched up in either!
Guardiola has a history of bizarre selections and tactics when the going gets tough, so there’s definitely hope as long as we keep on winning and keep a better goal difference.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, coachpotato said:

Unfortunately, the Tottenham and Southampton results apart, they are winning ugly, and that’s how you win titles.

I still believe they’d weaken their team (if that’s possible with their squad) for league games if it meant they played full strength in the CL quarters or semi’s, depending on who they were drawn against.

I’d love them and Chelsea matched up in either!
Guardiola has a history of bizarre selections and tactics when the going gets tough, so there’s definitely hope as long as we keep on winning and keep a better goal difference.

“Winning ugly apart from the two they didn’t win and the one they won comfortably” isn’t the same as “winning ugly”.

i still believe they’ll drop more than us on the run in from here, so I still expect them to pop us to the title, but a run of 8 games where they have dropped 5 points and it really very easily could’ve been 4 or 6 more without a bit of luck or refereeing help is at least much more positive for us than we’ve seen in the past from them.

remember that run-in in 18/19? 

7 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Diaz out for next 4 to 6 weeks. We play them in about 5 weeks so I expect he will be back. 

Wasnt this the case when we played them at home?

There was talk they had injury crisis in the build up to our game and then they were full strength and we were missing Trent and Thiago.

36 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

You've got to feel sorry for the peanut headed cunt. He'll just have to pick another of his 50-odd million midfielders, the fucking prick.  

2 central defenders??

Stones, LaPorte and Ake have all played in the last two weeks - is one of them injured now as well?

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

2 central defenders??

Stones, LaPorte and Ake have all played in the last two weeks - is one of them injured now as well?

Yeah, what's that 130ml plus of CB there add Rodri and Fernandinho they're hardly struggling, and 2 18/19 year old as part of the back ups. So 3 fit senior CB,2 capable DM and two youth teamers. 

Not quite Kabak,Williams,Phillips levels

• Upvote 1