You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City - the new bitters?

Naz17

17 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Remember that season 10 years ago when loads of proper shite goalies had the one worldy of their career against us? I was thinking of that when I saw Guaita's save from Mahrez last night.

Is that why Guardiola had an argument with the Palace keeper at the end of the game because he didnt throw one into his own net last night?

I like their striker-less lineup, but last night was one of those games where they really could have used a good one. And even with Jesus on the bench, Pep doesn't even play him in the middle anymore. If they go through a barren spell where chances aren't being converted, we can step up. 

11 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Their fixtures look like a piece of piss.

Granted, they look a bit more favourable than ours, this time of the season does strange things. 

When you throw a likely FA Cup semi final, with a decent chance it’ll be against us or Chelsea, and then CL games in on top, I don’t think any result is a forgone conclusion.

I think they might struggle at Burnley. I know Burnley (and Watford) have been their whipping boys in recent years, if City don’t get a hatful then they struggle. Burnley are fighting for their lives and the longer they can frustrate City the more doubts will grow.

They’ve dropped points at Wolves in recent years. West Ham have already beat them once at the Olympic Stadium. And failing that, Gerrard will do them on the last day!

If we were to overtake them, I don’t think you can underestimate the psychological impact it would have.

They’re still favourites, but nowhere near the favourites they were 2 months or so ago, and that’s all we can ask for.

it’s in our own hands now, which wasn’t the case this time yesterday (we could’ve lost on goal difference) but it’s also still in their own hands too.

all we can do from here is keep pushing them all the way and take it a game at a time.

and hide away when the match against them is on to avoid having a heart attack.

8 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

They’re still favourites, but nowhere near the favourites they were 2 months or so ago, and that’s all we can ask for.

it’s in our own hands now, which wasn’t the case this time yesterday (we could’ve lost on goal difference) but it’s also still in their own hands too.

all we can do from here is keep pushing them all the way and take it a game at a time.

I'd argue it was in our hands yesterday. We are very much in control of our goal difference. We never play at the same time, so it's not like we play blind outside of the final day. The players clearly also thought it was in our hands judging by Salah's tweet after Brighton. 

3 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Remember when we supposedly 'chucked away' a 12 point lead in 18/19 according to the gobshites on Sky and BBC even though city had 2 games in hand?

Didnt they have a similar if not bigger lead of 14 points ahead of us at one point this season? I dont recall hearing anyone on Sky or BBC droning on about them 'chucking away' a big lead now.

Admittedly, I dont watch BBC sport or listen to their 'pundits' any more after they all said we're finishing 3rd at best but generally, 4th. Dont get me started on Jermaine Beckford and his 'Leicester will piss Liverpool off into finishing 5th at best.' Nounce.

38 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I think they might struggle at Burnley. I know Burnley (and Watford) have been their whipping boys in recent years, if City don’t get a hatful then they struggle. Burnley are fighting for their lives and the longer they can frustrate City the more doubts will grow.

Burnley are an absolute gimme for Man City. City have 9 wins in a row against them and Burnley have only scored 1 goal in that time. West Ham and Wolves could give them problems, but I don't see them dropping points elsewhere.

8 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Burnley are an absolute gimme for Man City. City have 9 wins in a row against them and Burnley have only scored 1 goal in that time. West Ham and Wolves could give them problems, but I don't see them dropping points elsewhere.

Like the Washington Generals v Harlem Globetrotters, Burnley are due a result then! 

Don’t get me wrong, I’d be surprised if Burnley got a result as well, if last night was anything to go by, they could get a point. 

For once, Burnley need the points just as much as City.

City often come unstuck against sides they have already dropped points to. Such as Southampton on Saturday (their next FA cup game) So if they get knocked out on the weekend it could reinforce the whole bottling it narrative not long  before we go top. That’s the ideal scenario anyway. 

58 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I'd argue it was in our hands yesterday. We are very much in control of our goal difference. We never play at the same time, so it's not like we play blind outside of the final day. The players clearly also thought it was in our hands judging by Salah's tweet after Brighton. 

We were in control of our goal difference, but not in control of City’s, so it wasn’t purely in our hands.

today, city’s goal difference matters not if we win all our games, so that’s the change.

it’s subtle, and pedantic, but it’s a change.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

We were in control of our goal difference, but not in control of City’s, so it wasn’t purely in our hands.

today, city’s goal difference matters not if we win all our games, so that’s the change.

it’s subtle, and pedantic, but it’s a change.

I agree it's a change. I just think we had our own destiny in our hands. We just needed to ensure we beat them on goal difference. Now any win will do as long as there's 10 of them. Both scenarios city couldn't stop us if we did our thing, our target is slightly easier. Although I'd still like us to go for goal difference as it gives us breathing space.  

Just watching some of the post-MNF chat.

Carra made a good point - we keep saying “1 game at a time” but without being prompted Silva was straight into “Liverpool have to come to us” . It’s already in their minds, they are worried.

I didn’t realise, we play twice before they play again. We could be top by the time they kick off at Burnley. 

I got the impression Neville thought we’ll win it. “Liverpool are really dangerous with that front 5”. He’ll never admit it but I get the impression he thinks we’ll do it.

2 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Just watching some of the post-MNF chat.

Carra made a good point - we keep saying “1 game at a time” but without being prompted Silva was straight into “Liverpool have to come to us” . It’s already in their minds, they are worried.

I didn’t realise, we play twice before they play again. We could be top by the time they kick off at Burnley. 

I got the impression Neville thought we’ll win it. “Liverpool are really dangerous with that front 5”. He’ll never admit it but I get the impression he thinks we’ll do it.

It is a rather large kitchen sink Klopp can throw while chasing a result. 

1 hour ago, Code said:

So whats happening with this game against them now, I thought it was supposed to be moved from Sunday to Saturday if one of the teams got a game in the CL on the Tuesday?

We just did. 

The fixtures are Tuesday/weds for both teams aren't they with the Etihad game in between? So we get 8 days between the European matches? It's the same for both teams, so I'm not arsed. In fact I hope it stays on the Sunday, it's tougher for them as they will need to think about juggling the line up for the athletico game. We'll probably happily swap around a couple of midfielders and a forward from the Sunday to the weds. 

Screenshot_20220318-165653.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

The fixtures are Tuesday/weds for both teams aren't they with the Etihad game in between? So we get 8 days between the European matches? It's the same for both teams, so I'm not arsed. In fact I hope it stays on the Sunday, it's tougher for them as they will need to think about juggling the line up for the athletico game. We'll probably happily swap around a couple of midfielders and a forward from the Sunday to the weds. 

Screenshot_20220318-165653.jpg

My mistake, I thought the CL fixtures were the other way around, with the last game being played on the Tuesday.

Since its the Wednesday it will be a 16.30 kick off on the Sunday. 

1 hour ago, Code said:

My mistake, I thought the CL fixtures were the other way around, with the last game being played on the Tuesday.

Since its the Wednesday it will be a 16.30 kick off on the Sunday. 

Someone messaged me earlier and said city have asked for it to be moved to Saturday night. Sky will fucking love an 8pm on a Saturday. 

4 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Someone messaged me earlier and said city have asked for it to be moved to Saturday night. Sky will fucking love an 8pm on a Saturday. 

Hope they say no.  

10 hours ago, Wezza said:

I haven’t got the time to work out if this correct, but if so that is nuts.

ACF0FE09-8F30-41BD-8F8B-DF6F8F652049.jpeg

It's true

Liverpool:

21/22 - 69 points

20/21 - 69 points

19/20 - 99 points

18/19 - 97 points 

Total 334 points

Manchester City:

21/22 - 70 points

20/21 - 86 points

19/20 - 81 points