You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alan Sugar - Race Case

Sugar's tweet is inappropriate but not because of racism, it's because he is in fact making fun of people who are trying to make a (dismal) living by hawking stuff in the Spanish resorts, because they had the misfortune of being born in a poor part of the world and he is a member of establishment and a public figure in one of the richest countries in the world. Self-made or privileged, it is not so important here.

It is that context that makes it inappropriate and this is why he does not understand the reaction, because I don't think it's particularly racist, or that it comes from the "they all look the same" thinking.

Some 10 to 20 years ago, all street sellers in the south of France were from Senegal or thought to be from Senegal (don't know why, maybe some gang won the war for the streets of Cote d'Azur or it was French post-colonial reasons) and even though you knew it was a very hard life and they were there to try to scrap a living, they were also annoying as fuck and when you tried to talk to them they saw all interaction as a pretext to keep trying to sell you more stuff. So if one of us on here made the same joke, it would be borderline acceptable,  questionable taste, but  I don't think it would be racist on the skin colour level. Same as with that Nigerian picture using Nigerian e-mail comedy meme, unlike Sugar's tweet, it's actually funny, but if Trump or Sugar tweeted that, it would quickly change context and become unacceptable.

Pretty much sums up my thinking, it's a shame as he started out the same way. You'd think he would have some kind of empathy to go along with the jokes to try and soften it a bit unfortunately wealthy people don't always think in that way.

I can’t believe this didn’t escalate into a full blown racism row between Rico, Stronts, Nelly and AoT.

I can only apologise to the rest of the forum. I’ve let you all down, but I promise that one day I’ll come back with something stronger.

I’m so sorry.

Well at first I didn’t think it was racist, then I read something and changed my mind. Imagine that.

I can’t believe this didn’t escalate into a full blown racism row between Rico, Stronts, Nelly and AoT.

I can only apologise to the rest of the forum. I’ve let you all down, but I promise that one day I’ll come back with something stronger.

I’m so sorry.

Your John Leslie thread has been bit of a let down as well.

You'll have to up your game, I'm thinking a thread on that Muslim cunt who runs about with the tories & stands like he's just shat himself might do it.

2018-04-30T101539Z_66935274_RC1D9DB7D240

Your John Leslie thread has been bit of a let down as well.

We haven’t even got a verdict yet. There’s still legs in that one.

You'll have to up your game, I'm thinking a thread on that Muslim cunt who runs about with the tories & stands like he's just shat himself might do it.

2018-04-30T101539Z_66935274_RC1D9DB7D240

Great shout. If I just title it ‘That Muslim Cunt’ then it’ll have the punters flocking in. Nice one.

• Upvote 1