You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cyrille Regis

Stickman

Ah that's a real shame, I always liked Cyrille as a player and a fella.

He did some commentary and punditry in later years and came across as an insightful and intelligent man.

Some of the racism he has to put up during his career was nothing short of fucking disgraceful.

A real sad loss.

He played for 4 big Midlands clubs and he was liked and respected by the fans of all of them, which is testament to the man, his attitude and his ability.

He was a formidable forward at his peak.

• Upvote 7

Ah that's a real shame, I always liked Cyrille as a player and a fella.

He did some commentary and punditry in later years and came across as an insightful and intelligent man.

Some of the racism he has to put up during his career was nothing short of fucking disgraceful.

A real sad loss.

He played for 4 big Midlands clubs and he was liked and respected by the fans of all of them, which is testament to the man, his attitude and his ability.

He was a formidable forward at his peak.

Just realised he spent as long at Coventry as he did at West Brom,7 seasons at each. Also played for Villa and Wolves. Was one of my favourite non Liverpool players back in the day. So sad at such a relatively young age.

• Upvote 1

Football grounds in the late 70's and 80's resounded to "Nice one Cyrille, nice one son, Nice one Cyrille, let's have another one" more than a few times.

I remember seeing him at Anfield for the first time when I was a nipper playing for the Albion. I think it was 79/80 season when Atkinson had them challenging and West Brom and Forest were our title rivals.

They came to Anfield, in with a shout of the league and we beat them 2-1, it was a hard fought game and our lads knew they'd had a battle that day.

He was built like a boxer, strong, powerful, not that tall, but a handful for any defender of any era.

Albion had a very good side then, not only Cyrille and Laurie Cunningham, who was like quicksilver, but Bomber Brown, Ally Roberston, Bryan Robson, they could play and mix it. We went on to win the league and I think Albion finished 3rd.

He was a respected opponent for anyone who ever faced him. Sadly he played in much less enlightened times and was subject to all sorts of shit. Some of it wasn't meant as overt racism, it was a product of the times, people didn't see black players much then and Britain wasn't as multi-cultural as it is now, but Cyrille Regis was respected as a player by all clubs and fans that he came up against.

The fact that I and so many of you are sad to hear of his passing shows that respect, he had no link to our club in his playing days, but he is known and remembered as proper professional and a proper player and as a man who opened the door to acceptance of black players as a force to be reckoned with.

Regis, Batson and Laurie were still seen as something of a novelty back then, I'm not saying that's right, I'm just saying that's how it was. But anyone who played against him and saw him play will remember him.

A man and a player of a 'diiferent' cultural landscape who was accepted and respected by all. A proper footballing legend of my lifetime.

• Upvote 9

Guest Pistonbroke

Football grounds in the late 70's and 80's resounded to "Nice one Cyrille, nice one son, Nice one Cyrille, let's have another one" more than a few times.

I remember seeing him at Anfield for the first time when I was a nipper playing for the Albion. I think it was 79/80 season when Atkinson had them challenging and West Brom and Forest were our title rivals.

They came to Anfield, in with a shout of the league and we beat them 2-1, it was a hard fought game and our lads knew they'd had a battle that day.

He was built like a boxer, strong, powerful, not that tall, but a handful for any defender of any era.

Albion had a very good side then, not only Cyrille and Laurie Cunningham, who was like quicksilver, but Bomber Brown, Ally Roberston, Bryan Robson, they could play and mix it. We went on to win the league and I think Albion finished 3rd.

He was a respected opponent for anyone who ever faced him. Sadly he played in much less enlightened times and was subject to all sorts of shit. Some of it wasn't meant as overt racism, it was a product of the times, people didn't see black players much then and Britain wasn't as multi-cultural as it is now, but Cyrille Regis was respected as a player by all clubs and fans that he came up against.

The fact that I and so many of you are sad to hear of his passing shows that respect, he had no link to our club in his playing days, but he is known and remembered as proper professional and a proper player and as a man who opened the door to acceptance of black players as a force to be reckoned with.

Regis, Batson and Laurie were still seen as something of a novelty back then, I'm not saying that's right, I'm just saying that's how it was. But anyone who played against him and saw him play will remember him.

A man and a player of a 'diiferent' cultural landscape who was accepted and respected by all. A proper footballing legend of my lifetime.

Great post mate. 

West Brom had a decent team back then. They were in the old league 2 until the latter part of the 70's before finishing in the top half after promotion and again the next season. The year you are on about they did indeed finish behind us and Forest in 3rd. They kind of kept that up after that season as well, i'm sure they finished above us early 80's. They had some good players back in the days, Big Cyrille, Cunningham, Statham, Wile, Willie Johnson and paper legs Robson.