You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

GF music review club

Carvalho Diablo

That fucking HTML shite because the mobile skin for the GF doesn't work on desktop..... anyhow...

Just got around to listening to the Elton John album.
I'm not an Elton fan but he has his place alongside the greats as he clearly has a great back catalog.

Here's my break down.
1 - Ballad of a Well-Known Gun. I was bored by this one although the vocals are great. 6/10
2 - Come down in time. Really like this song. Vocals are very good on it. Nice strings. 7/10
3 - Country Comfort. Meandering and pleasant, typical country (title, doh). Slide guitars expected to make an appearance here. Not sure about the vocal twang he adds to it. Probably going to hear more of that.. Sounds like a million other songs. 5/10
4 - Son of your father. Excellent little stomper. Like the use of the horns and harmonica. Probably far too much going on here but a very good track. 7/10
5 - My Father's Gun. Great track. Starting with the Piano tipping away with a tamely strummed acoustic guitar. Builds up to a decent finish, nice solo licks from the electric guitar moving it along. 8/10
6 - Where to now, St Peter? I like the guitar in this one but I don’t think it suits the song! It's also a pretty song but it didn't seem to go anywhere and I got bored. Vocal twang 5/10
7 - Love Song. Reminded me of Dear Prudence when it started. Vocals and harmonies are lovely on this track. 6/10
8 - Amoreena. A real swinging track. Signature Elton piano playing here. Steady percussive beat keeping it ticking along. Hammond Organ adding the depth. Excellent. 8/10
9 - Talking old soldiers. Simple as they come and oddly the one I liked most on the album. Paints a great scene.
"I've seen enough to make a man blow out his brains" - "graveyard as a friend" really conjures up the harsh realities of war. 9/10
10. Burn down the mission. One I already knew about. Technically brilliant track. The key and rhythm changes really bring this track alive. Great stuff 8/10
11. Into the Old Man's shoes. Just repeats itself for me. Not a bad track but just bored me. 5/10
12. Madman Across the Water. Great album closer. Has a few different styles to it musically. Can almost imagine Led Zeppelin in the first 2-3 minutes. Builds into a Neil Young feel then. Proper decent guitar playing here. Really good track. 8/10

Overall I was pleasantly surprised. I wouldn't complain about having to listen to it again but I doubt I'd be reaching out for it again any time soon. Good stuff.

• Upvote 1

Just listened to that China Drum album now. As already mentioned, Green Day springs to mind. Also reminds me a bit of REM at times and Northern Irish band Ash. 

It's not my style of music really but it does rock at times. Vocalist isn't the best. Good bass lines. Not much depth to the album really. I find it hard to distinguish one track from the next. Decent but not my thing.

Review : Tyler The Creator - Flower Boy

I am not a hip-hop fan. What is the difference between hip-hop and rap music ? Is there one or is it the exact same thing ? I do not know, but that's not important, (at least not to me), my rap / hip hop leanings begin and end with Public Enemy, NWA's debut, Ice T and the Sugar Hill Gang!

I loved the energy and shock factor of Straight Outta Compton, the sparsty of Ice T's Power, and the authority and intelligence of Public Enemy (and their wonderful live show), but that's about it. Every time I've dipped my toe since, I've hoped to wooed and wowed, even with Kendrick's DAMN, but I haven't felt it, even in the slightest.

Half a lifetime ago I worked as a sound engineer and I've also been in bands for most of my life, and in all that time I've always felt to trust my ears. I've now listened to Paul's AOW, Tyler The Creator's Flower Boy 5 times and feel confident enough to give my opinion.

Flower Boy starts with Foreword, has some nice guitar and it's laid back, it's an okay start but there's nothing to excite. Tyler raps about "Shoot that nigga". Hmm, okay. Moving onto...

Where This Flower Blooms might as well be in Welsh. Wtf ? OJ Simpson ? "I smell like Chanel / OJ Simpson shining on me". The tune is crap imo. Some nice piano at the end is the highlight for me.

Sometimes is a nothing song. Quick filler. Pointless.

See You Again has a (very welcome) female co-vocal, nice xylophone spots but has some bland slushy lyrics. Best song yet though.

Who Dat Boy ? starts with some tense synthy strings and some very nice subsonic bass dives, unfortunately I can barely understand a word other than lazy "nigga face blown off" and "bitch kiss my ass / make my dick disappear / fuck you nigga". It's think it's fair to say that I have no connection to this at all, and believe that NWA did it so much better so many years before. I find Who Dat Boy to be tedious, indulgent and sadly lazy.

Pothole. "His name was Clancy / I fancy him", okay mate, that's different. "Watch out for the pothole...". I'm still watching.

Okay, time out, this is the 5th time I've listened to Flower Boy and I just do not get it. The production is definitely not as good as DAMN, I've discovered as with most hip-hop that I enjoy the more laid back and spartan tracks the most, but just nothing is grabbing me here I'm afraid. I get frustrated by most of this hip-hop stuff, people love it, it sells by the bucket load, Paul enthuses over it, but still I just fail to get it. What's the secret ?!

Garden Shed. I read with some interest earlier in the thread the exchange between Paul and Howie about the merits of this album and about this song in particular. Interesting too because this was the song which stood out above the rest for me.

A lovely organic Gretschy sounding White Falcon ushers in Garden Shed, gorgeous and subtle Bigsby trem, luscious spring reverb and the buzz from the mic against the cab; to me this was the highlight of the entire record, easily.

Unfortunately the vocal is delivered poorly, not a great singer at all. The bass comes in and for a moment I'm reminded of the gorgeous Lauryn Hill and The Fugees, but that comes crashing down thanks to some awful buzzing distorted electric guitar, a most uneccessary and disruptive mess.

The best parts of Garden Shed are, once again, the slower, emptier instrumental passages. All that said, easily the best song so far.

Boredom. "Find some time to do something", drifts along harmlessly but Boredom doesn't excite me at all. Boredom is background muzak, it fails to excite or engage, it flags and it's two minutes too long.

Some nicely panned vocals right at the death.

I Ain't Got Time. Arabic sounding riff gives way to, "I ain't got time for these niggas / bitches" / "Who ya fuckin talkin to muthafukka / and my big dick."

Once again the subsonic bass is interesting, but there's no swing here for me, no groove or continuity.

Nah, not for me.

911 / Mr Lonely. A nice bass and drum groove, the album's been sadly lacking in that imo, but that doesn't last long, "911 - call me"

Another song that leaves me utterly cold.I'm still waiting for something, anything to grab me and scream LET'S FUCKING GO !

Dropping Seeds. Again musically it's doing nothing for me, (if I could find a way into this music then I might muster the energy required to penetrate and attempt to make sense and order of the lyrics on offer).

Sadly I find the lead vocal to be just very annoying, the tone of his voice is just jarring.

November. A really nice sounding female vocal, much better, however the lead vocal steamrollers in like an unwelcome guest, the drum sound is awful but I do like the more spacious production and especially the chorus. I mentioned my fondness for Ice T's Power and November's production reminds me very much of that record.

Far better, one of the best songs on this record imo.

Glitter. Bland as fuck, the bass drum is far too loud and intrusive and again I find the vocal annoying. I just fail to see what there is here to enthuse over, I'm not getting this at all. A nothing song imo.

Enjoy Right Now, Today. This time it's the snare sound which I find really annoying, also the kid sample is grating on me. A really poor song to finish the record. The album would have been far better off if it had ended with November, the final two tracks being pretty woeful.

As I said at the top of my review I've listened to Flower Boy 5 times now, but strangely / sadly after my initial enthusiasm and curiosity the record didn't grow on me, converesly I found myself growing angry by it. I find Flower Boy to be boring, bland and tedious, confusing and it's just not for me.

This record is I think a fair relection of my relationship with hip-hop music, i just do not get it and maybe I never will. I doesn't excite, arouse, frighten or exhilarate me, no goosebumps, my pulse doesn't race, my emotions do not stir, I fail to find any huge hooks or rousing choruses. I just do not get hip-hop at all, and that genuinely confuses and saddens me.

i just do not get it and maybe I never will

I think it has to be a little of an age thing - always had very diverse interests and have played professionally just about every style of music.

Now I feel like one of  the old codgers who said the same about Elvis in the 50's, or the Beatles in the 60, or the Flower Power (see what I did there) in the 70's, punk in the 80's, grunge 90's, rave 00's etc.

Difference is I like every one of those genres.

• Upvote 1

I'm dreading listening to DAMN and Tyler but as always I'll keep an open mind. I'll listen to them on the train on the way home and see what they're all about. I'd be like you CD in terms of Rap/Hip hop. Like the NWA stuff, Public Enemy and love Dr.Dre's 2001 album but that's about it.See how this goes sure...

• Upvote 1

Im really tempted to give this a go but really not sure on writing reviews.

I have a bit more time on my hands now and plenty of time to listen with my job that i did not before

Also is all the stuff reviewed new or what?

Just write as much or as little as you like about any of the albums of the week (AOWs) that you've listened to mate. Not a competition, no rights or wrongs, I think we'd all welcome your input and I'd certainly be really interested in what you (any anyone / everyone else) has to think about each record.

You could even just kick off by telling us if you've liked them or not ! You can be as praising or as damning as you wish mate.

The stuff we're reviewing has all been selected by the club members on a weekly / fortnightly basis. You can scroll back through the thread for Youtube and Spotify links to each AOW, but we also have the Spotify link for easy access :

https://open.spotify.com/user/carvalho666/playlist/3k64dON6XvCI1W9GFNH8Gr?si=27Y2iSoTQK6htGRlxuQyig

The playlist contains a track from every AOW (from which you can manoeuvre to select the corresponding AOW from which it comes), and it also includes the latest AOW in it's entirity.

From the club we only have Mook and myself left to select our AOWs, before we must then decide whether to keep our little club going and whether any of the current members might wish to drop out rather than continue. I know that time has been an issue for some of us, so perhaps we might go forward with some new members ? Regardless of who the club comprises of, everybody and anybody is very welcome to dip in and out of the thread and to contribute and to review.

Looking forward to seeing your contributions mate.

I'm dreading listening to DAMN and Tyler but as always I'll keep an open mind. I'll listen to them on the train on the way home and see what they're all about. I'd be like you CD in terms of Rap/Hip hop. Like the NWA stuff, Public Enemy and love Dr.Dre's 2001 album but that's about it.See how this goes sure...

I wouldn't let grizzled old cunts like me and Howie influence you any Zonko (even if we are both right!). I think it was Shooter who said earlier in the thread that he doesn't read anybody elses reviews before he writes his own, doesn't wish to be influenced any (perhaps even subconsciously). I think that makes a lot of sense tbh.

Just my opinion like.

Sounds good

I'll get a couple of them downloaded tonight and have a look.

For me, the best two things about this whole experiment and the club have been the eclecticism of the AOWs (no two records have been alike), and also the open minded and respectful way everybody has joined in and responded.

I've also found it really interesting to learn about the other club members too and the discussions kicked off by the reviews of the records. It's been really worthwhile imo.

• Upvote 3

For me, the best two things about this whole experiment and the club have been the eclecticism of the AOWs (no two records have been alike), and also the open minded and respectful way everybody has joined in and responded.

I've also found it really interesting to learn about the other club members too and the discussions kicked off by the reviews of the records. It's been really worthwhile imo.

Yep. It’s been my favourite thread in a long while. Loved it.

Going to read the thread and havena listen tomorrow as im in the empty building tomorrow so shouldn't be much going on.
  • Upvote 1

What's with all the positive reactions to other members all about? Can't be having that, that's far too civilized. 

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

repped.gif

It was great to read that Zonko is off to see Steven Wilson in Dublin, directly thanks to your AOW mate. You should be on commission !

Great record that.

Haha, yeah I was chuffed at that. It’s what this experiment is all about.

It is a belter of an album, fair play.

I’m back in the game gents. Apologies, been a mad period for me. Where am I up to? I still have to do my review for Steven Wilson, Elton John and Kendrick Lamar. What else do I need to grace my lobes with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoo Hoo, check out the Spotify link further up the page mate. Just review any of them as you see fit.

Good to see you back.

Well i start from the first album

ZBB

Was not was i was expecting.

I love Southern rock/Country, and had heard of Zac Brown Band but not got round to listening to them. I was expecting a

more Blackberry Smoke or a more Country Skynyrd.Just something with a little more grit for want of a better word. Are all the

albums like this?. Honestly i skipped through Island song after about 30 seconds and it was not my sort of thing at all. 

The band is great and some fantastic guitar playing throughout but sadly probably wont listen again. Not a massive fan of Zac's voice either.

Maybe went into it expecting something completely different and had high hopes after seeing plenty of the bands i like play with and open for them. They just seem your typical Radio friendly modern country that im not really a big fan off. 

Musically i'd probably have Overnight and Lance's song as the best tracks. 

The inclusions of the Sax on overnight made a nice change to the album and the guitar work at the start of Lance's song stood out

Artwork was fantastic

• Upvote 2

Starting to listen to Moof's pick

Definitely in the wrong environment to really good appreciation of whats going on here.

I'm at work and listening on my phone through a flip 3 speaker,which is not bad but this something i need to listen to at home through a pair of headphones and a drink. A fair few bits are just screaming Gilmour/Waters Floyd. Sounds a tad over produced like this but as i said i think i need a re-listen at home. Its deffo got me intrigued and the minimum i'll be doing is looking through Steve Wilson's other albums. Got as far a Routine but will leave it here for another day when off work.

Interesting

• Upvote 1

So I listened to DAMN 3 times between yesterday evening and this morning. I just don't get it. I'd hate to say anything really terrible about it because people clearly like it, but I didn't enjoy it at all. It was all over the place. It was like it was written on a Samsung Galaxy s3 or something. I couldn't understand what he was jabbering on about most of the time. The track with Beyonce was so annoying I wanted to scream. The only 'highlights' that I was able to listen to on it were the 3 tracks in a row, Pride, Humble and Lust. I can imagine putting this album on when friends are over and all of them leaving with a headache. Sorry, I don't get it.

Having said all that, I decided to listen to some of his other stuff before completely making my mind up on him as an artist.

To Pimp a Butterlfly is brilliant. I will definitely listen to that album again. I feel this is the direction rap and hip hop should be going in general. The sparce stuff from most artists is just rubbish.

I also listened to Tyler, The Creator - Flower Boy on the way into work this morning. Didn't grab me at all but I'll listen to it again.

As an aside, what is it about Rap/Hip-Hop artists that they can't move on from their stereotypical themes?

I'm fed up with listening to chat about they dicks, hoes, shooting other n****, haters, making 6 figures, going platinum yadda yadda. They don't seem to realise it forever paints them in a bad light.

• Upvote 1