You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

GF music review club

Carvalho Diablo

Okay then fellas, without any further comments from any of the other members I think we should crack on.

It seems unanimous that we carry on with the club, and also that we members would also like to invite Clarence, Zonko and Red Talisker to join in too. So what about continuing with the club and rotation as following :

Shooter In The Motor

Moof

Skidfingers McGonical

Boss

The Howie Lama

Chevettehs

Stig

Paul

Winston Wolf

Mook

Carvalho Diablo

Clarence

Zonko

Red Talisker

If anybody else would like to join in, or if any of you club members would now like to opt out then please let us all know. Either drop me a pm or stick a post up in the thread.

May I also suggest that we post an invitation / reminder in this thread about when it's time for the next member up to post his AOW, but if that person fails to do so by COB on the due date then we should simply bypass said member and crack on with the next person in the rotation instead. Does that make sense ? Fair ? I don't wish to come across as a pain in the arse but I can't be arsed chasing people this time around.

Anybody "owing" any reviews then please drop them in when you can / if you have the time / if you can be arsed!

Unless there are any differences of opinion or suggestions otherwise, Shooter I believe it's your turn to get busy and drop your next AOW mate. Any time tomorrow (Weds 280218) would be dandy amigo.

GENTLEMEN, LET'S FUCKING GO !

OK I have a list and I will choose the selection tomorrow. Incoming!!

4z1.gif

Haha. I remember when we got this ball rolling and Shooter pulled a fast one with the Zac Brown Band. Who saw that one coming ?! Been that way mostly all the way through, plenty of cracking unexpected and often unheard of bands and music.

So far it's ben educational, definitely been fun.

I spent yesterday evening choosing a shortlist (actually it was more of a longlist - 12 albums) and some were easy to dismiss whereas others have been quite hard to overlook. Some would have been far too controversial to put on here (Lemonade by Beyonce was considered seriously as it's a brilliant album with so many musical guests from rock, hip-hop and pop) but was ultimately dropped. Probably to everyone's relief but the song that stands out on that album I have included here as it may tempt some people to listen to it :

I also considered a couple of Beck albums but I felt that most likely people have heard/heard of these so they were also dropped. The Rising by Bruce Springsteen and No Ordinary World by Joe Cocker were also dropped for the same reason but all brilliant albums. I also included on the list three albums by Gomez (In Our Gun / Liquid Skin / How We Operate) but I couldn't choose one. Dropped.

So that leaves 5.

After Laughter by Paramore - a 1980s influenced pop/rock album after lots of angry albums. Didn't quite make the cut

Living Things by Linkin Park - this would have been a similar choice to the Soundgarden choice but the album is a little unusual for the band so that was dropped.

The Cool by Lupe Fiasco - a risky choice as there aren't many hip-hop aficionados on the list but this is a really nice album different to most typical hip-hop albums. Perhaps too risky.

So two left. A Tale of Two Cities by Mr Hudson and The Library or Ozomatli by Ozomatli. I'm hoping most people will look at those and wonder who they are (especially Ozomatli) because I hadn't heard of them until I heard one song on a Ministry of Sound compilation album in the late 1990s (that track - Cut Chemist Suite - is on the self-titled debut) and it's the album I have chosen as I'm hoping not many people of heard of them and may be interested in hearing it.

Ozomatli is an American six-piece band playing primarily Latin, hip hop, and rock music, formed in 1995 in Los Angeles. They are known both for their vocal activist viewpoints and their wide array of musical styles - including salsa, jazz, funk, reggae and rap. All these styles are fused on their debut album and I enjoyed the fusions - hopefully some others do also!

So here is the Youtube link to the album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMZfvpbWp8c&list=PLoWh7Bg2Z_2lF9Uq23knmdMGIfJ5aQp4F

Unfortunately the album doesn't appear to feature on Spotify so the closest I got was the inclusion of Cut Chemist Suite on a compilation album

https://open.spotify.com/user/coletteleonak/playlist/2YGGUBhNDR4igkyRttPLfA

Im on my phone so maybe its that but them links are to just one song. Is it a playlist.

Is it the 2nd one on the pic?

12 track debut album(according to wiki)

bb95e8822820ed2e67936e46d22cc495.jpg

Looks like the second one on the list, yes. Ozomatli by Ozomatli. Definitely second on the list the album has 12 tracks and there are 12 videos there.

I spent yesterday evening choosing a shortlist (actually it was more of a longlist - 12 albums) and some were easy to dismiss whereas others have been quite hard to overlook. Some would have been far too controversial to put on here (Lemonade by Beyonce was considered seriously as it's a brilliant album with so many musical guests from rock, hip-hop and pop) but was ultimately dropped. Probably to everyone's relief but the song that stands out on that album I have included here as it may tempt some people to listen to it :

I also considered a couple of Beck albums but I felt that most likely people have heard/heard of these so they were also dropped. The Rising by Bruce Springsteen and No Ordinary World by Joe Cocker were also dropped for the same reason but all brilliant albums. I also included on the list three albums by Gomez (In Our Gun / Liquid Skin / How We Operate) but I couldn't choose one. Dropped.

So that leaves 5.

After Laughter by Paramore - a 1980s influenced pop/rock album after lots of angry albums. Didn't quite make the cut

Living Things by Linkin Park - this would have been a similar choice to the Soundgarden choice but the album is a little unusual for the band so that was dropped.

The Cool by Lupe Fiasco - a risky choice as there aren't many hip-hop aficionados on the list but this is a really nice album different to most typical hip-hop albums. Perhaps too risky.

So two left. A Tale of Two Cities by Mr Hudson and The Library or Ozomatli by Ozomatli. I'm hoping most people will look at those and wonder who they are (especially Ozomatli) because I hadn't heard of them until I heard one song on a Ministry of Sound compilation album in the late 1990s (that track - Cut Chemist Suite - is on the self-titled debut) and it's the album I have chosen as I'm hoping not many people of heard of them and may be interested in hearing it.

Ozomatli is an American six-piece band playing primarily Latin, hip hop, and rock music, formed in 1995 in Los Angeles. They are known both for their vocal activist viewpoints and their wide array of musical styles - including salsa, jazz, funk, reggae and rap. All these styles are fused on their debut album and I enjoyed the fusions - hopefully some others do also!

So here is the Youtube link to the album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMZfvpbWp8c&list=PLoWh7Bg2Z_2lF9Uq23knmdMGIfJ5aQp4F

Unfortunately the album doesn't appear to feature on Spotify so the closest I got was the inclusion of Cut Chemist Suite on a compilation album

https://open.spotify.com/user/coletteleonak/playlist/2YGGUBhNDR4igkyRttPLfA

If anyone enjoys their debut, Street Signs is also a good album of theirs.

Reread the post a couple of times

I kept reading 'the library of ozomatli ' not The Library OR ozomatli which was not getting me a link.

6 tracks in so far

Interesting

It felt like my worst nightmare when the words Ministry of Sound, rap and hip hop all used together and then the whistles and go go go started i did think this is going to be a long 45 mins.

Reread the post a couple of times

I kept reading 'the library of ozomatli ' not The Library OR ozomatli which was not getting me a link.

6 tracks in so far

Interesting

It felt like my worst nightmare when the words Ministry of Sound, rap and hip hop all used together and then the whistles and go go go started i did think this is going to be a long 45 mins.

haha maybe I should have put inverted commas around the artists for separation!

Or i could have read what was there not what i expected to be there.

Just finished the album. Might try to get another listen later on in the week too.

I like the fact you're keeping your cards close to your chest. This could be a full house or a busted flush.

You know what, just listening to the first minute of that track and it immediately reminded me of the Zac Brown Band's Island Song, your first pick last time around.

Loving the percussion, will enjoy listening later.

I love the Latin sound to this album, as you say the percussion is the star of the show.

Well initial thoughts

After hearing the words Ministry of Sound, rap and hip hop all used together and then the whistles and go go go started on the first track i did think this is going to be a long 45-60 mins.

Im not sure if this will end up on my phone for any length of time at any point though i could see me flicking through a few of their albums and sorting a playlist of the more Latin tracks as i just cant get my head around any rap/hip hop really these days.

A few things came to mind through various points of the album. Throw a few more guitar solo's in there and i could easily see Carlos Santana being heavily involved in the album. A few tracks felt straight out of a Robert Rodriguez set,you could easy see these turn up in Desperado.

The rap/hip hop felt straight out of the early 90s to me. When dozen of hood films seemed to be everywhere. Not my thing these days though i can see some really enjoying it and being taken back to that era.

Onto the tracks

I just jot down whatever comes to mind at the time. Sometimes nothing

Ozomatli

Whistles/Go Go go - fuck

Latin beats cool,upbeat 8/10

Cut Chemist Suite

Santana

Cumbia de los muertos

best track so far

Donede se Fueron?

Robert Rodriguez!

Eva

O le le

Shamanic beat first 30-40 seconds was great. Just getting into it before the brass band and hip hop takeover

Chango

WTF

Meow meow?

Superbowl Sundae

Love to start.

Superb guitar and sounds like a sitar

Then the rap

Anqui no serra

Superb

Coming war

Rap again

But lyrics fantastic

La misma cancion

Overall id probably go a solid 7.5/8 out of 10.

Even with the bits im no keen on it doesn't take away from a good album. The horns,guitar,bass and drums all superb throughout

• Upvote 1

Well initial thoughts

After hearing the words Ministry of Sound, rap and hip hop all used together and then the whistles and go go go started on the first track i did think this is going to be a long 45-60 mins.

Im not sure if this will end up on my phone for any length of time at any point though i could see me flicking through a few of their albums and sorting a playlist of the more Latin tracks as i just cant get my head around any rap/hip hop really these days.

A few things came to mind through various points of the album. Throw a few more guitar solo's in there and i could easily see Carlos Santana being heavily involved in the album. A few tracks felt straight out of a Robert Rodriguez set,you could easy see these turn up in Desperado.

The rap/hip hop felt straight out of the early 90s to me. When dozen of hood films seemed to be everywhere. Not my thing these days though i can see some really enjoying it and being taken back to that era.

Onto the tracks

I just jot down whatever comes to mind at the time. Sometimes nothing

Ozomatli

Whistles/Go Go go - fuck

Latin beats cool,upbeat 8/10

Cut Chemist Suite

Santana

Cumbia de los muertos

best track so far

Donede se Fueron?

Robert Rodriguez!

Eva

O le le

Shamanic beat first 30-40 seconds was great. Just getting into it before the brass band and hip hop takeover

Chango

WTF

Meow meow?

Superbowl Sundae

Love to start.

Superb guitar and sounds like a sitar

Then the rap

Anqui no serra

Superb

Coming war

Rap again

But lyrics fantastic

La misma cancion

Overall id probably go a solid 7.5/8 out of 10.

Even with the bits im no keen on it doesn't take away from a good album. The horns,guitar,bass and drums all superb throughout

Boss review that, funnily enough on releasing their first album they opened the concerts for Santana! Good spot. I've just noticed you didn't mention the track Chota, straight after Anqui No Sera. Hope you listened to that one as it's similar.

Links to Shooter's latest AOW, Otomatli by Otomatli.

TLW GF Music Club Youtube channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHmD81dOULR2dlVx03buDBQ/playlists?view_as=subscriber

TLW Spotify playlist : https://open.spotify.com/user/carvalho666/playlist/3k64dON6XvCI1W9GFNH8Gr?si=ryXXWUFMSj-3iGbW8PSLbw

Please note, as Shooter has said already this is the first AOW which isn't on Spotify. I've included a live version of the opening track Como Ves on our playlist.

Selections from every AOW are included on the Spotify playlist, every AOW in it's entirity should be present on our Youtube channel. Enjoy !

Moof is next man up in the rotation. His selection is due around next Friday 9th March. Get your thinking cap on Sam.

Reviews of any of the AOWs are still very much appreciated, whether you're a member of the club or not please feel free to post your reviews here. If anybody would like to join the club just let it be known, it's only £20 and you get a free sticker.

Well this is a new one to me - wonder how many times I'll be saying this before this round is over. Traditional Latin, Cuban funk, salsa, dub, hip hop and probably a few I have left out, it's a busy mix of sounds and styles. If I was going to be critical, and I think I may just have to be a bit, it's a little bit too busy. That's not to say there aren't some great tracks on here because there are. Cumbia De Los Muertos, Superbowl Sundae, and Cut Chemist Suite all stood out for me. I'd happily add them to my collection (if I wasn't anal about only having full albums). As an album, however, there was just too much going on for it to work as a whole for me. Now, I have considered whether what I am really complaining about is I like some of the styles but not some of the others. The traditional sounding tracks were definitely my least favourite ones on the album so there could well be a bit of truth in that. Either way it makes rating this week's album difficult. It's a tentative thumbs up I think this time from me.

• Upvote 1

I love that Ozomatli album.

Saw them at Glasto one time and they were great, at the end they all left the stage and were doing acoustic, with lots of crazy drumming and shit in a circle in the middle of the crowd - including playing the Sesame Street theme.

Then went off across the fields still playing with a load of us dancing after them.

Marvelous..

• Upvote 1