You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

I don't believe for a moment that even if we don't sign VVD that we would seriously go into this season without adding at centre half.

It would be virtual sabotage.

Matip and Lovren backed up by Klavan and Gomez is nowhere near enough for a club with European (hopefully CL football)....it is nowhere near enough quality wise and it is nowhere near enough in terms of reliability.

A centre half surely has to be a big priority - an argument could be made for two given the state of the options...one to push Lovren down to the bench and one to improve on the ageing journeyman and the kid with virtually no top level experience.

I honestly think that its VVD or Gomez. I dont think we will sign anyone if its not VVD

If you are right we are gonna be in trouble at centre half if we don't sign VVD then.

One injury puts Klavan or Gomez straight into our starting line up.

The extra demands of European footy...

Emre Can (if he stays) will end up playing there when the injuries kick in and the games are coming thick and fast ala Lucas last season you watch.

• Upvote 1

If you are right we are gonna be in trouble at centre half if we don't sign VVD then.

One injury puts Klavan or Gomez straight into our starting line up.

The extra demands of European footy...

Emre Can (if he stays) will end up playing there when the injuries kick in and the games are coming thick and fast ala Lucas last season you watch.

Its not what id like us to do. But with the frequent press releases about Gomez and looking so fit and good i just get the feeling he is plan B.

Its not what id like us to do. But with the frequent press releases about Gomez and looking so fit and good i just get the feeling he is plan B.

Some gamble - i wonder how many other clubs in the champions league (the big ones like us) will have a kid who has virtually zero first team experience (and what he does have is in the 2nd tier mainly) as their main back up at centre half.

That is before we even open up the debate about Lovren - there are plenty around here who think Lovren isn't good enough for us.

Ha ha, that 2nd headline tells you all you need to know about Stuart Pearce. How the fuck that man has had as many decent jobs he has is beyond me. He's fucking awful. He's gotta be up there as one of the worst pundits, he just talks utter shite.

IMG_0453.jpg

'Coming over here stealing our jobs'

• Upvote 2

We needed two centre backs this window. Ridicolous, we've made no attempt to sign anyone attainable but completely predictable.

Matip lovren klavan are the centre backs. None of them are going anywhere so we need to sign one centre back not 2.

You have to accept klopp is happy with 90% of this squad.

Matip lovren klavan are the centre backs. None of them are going anywhere so we need to sign one centre back not 2.

Do you see him as happy to use a full squad this season? Will he be happy to use Gomez, Klavan, Grujic, Woodburn, Origi, Ings and Sturridge to change games?

Yea he looked delighted with Klavan last year when he opted to play a shit crocked centre mid ahead of him.
  • Upvote 1

Do you see him as happy to use a full squad this season? Will he be happy to use Gomez, Klavan, Grujic, Woodburn, Origi, Ings and Sturridge to change games?

I think he'd be happier if the game changers we're on the field rather than the bench.  

Those guys are not game changers.  To give a rest to the game changers; to cover for unexpected short-term injuries, I think he'd be happy.

He started Klavan more than Lucas (even with his double duty). Probably a better gauge of his regard than his facial expression!

The scary part is both were needed so much last season....a season where we didn't even have europe.

We have sold one of them and not as it stands strengthened either area

We needed two centre backs this window. Ridicolous, we've made no attempt to sign anyone attainable but completely predictable.

Agree. In my opinion our ambition should be top 3 in the PL, to have a decent run into the knockout stages of the CL and to field a competitive side in the FA cup.

For this you need 3-4 top class CBs, we currently have 1.

The scary part is both were needed so much last season....a season where we didn't even have europe.

We have sold one of them and not as it stands strengthened either area

Yeah no question we need someone, especially @ the back, but let's not make out those other guys are  crap, most of them are being developed which means they'd probably be on the bench as often as not anyways.

Agree. In my opinion our ambition should be top 3 in the PL, to have a decent run into the knockout stages of the CL and to field a competitive side in the FA cup.

For this you need 3-4 top class CBs, we currently have 1.

Klopp HAS to believe he is getting VVD or somebody good bare minimum....I can't believe be could genuinely think we have enough back there.

God knows what kind of state we will be in when the games are coming thick and fast if we don't add at centre half. We are desperate back there - our biggest weakness as it stands IMHO.

Surely Klopp knows this and will act.

Yeah no question we need someone, especially @ the back, but let's not make out those other guys are crap, most of them are being developed which means they'd probably be on the bench as often as not anyways.

Gomez is an unknown quantity i suppose...seems highly rated but his development has obviously been hampered by his injury woes - lad has been unlucky. But fact is he has virtually zero top level experience. It is a big ask to ask him to potentially step into a side playing CL footy.

Klavan for my money is championship level at best and at nearly 32 shouldn't be anywhere near a club of our supposed ambitions starting line up.

Matip and Lovren staying fit appears to be an issue as well both missed quite a bit of football last season (hence Klavans number of starts and even Lucas back there)...as i said earlier i have a sneaky feeling we will end up seeing Can stuck in there when we get stretched due to injuries/tiredness etc if we don't add.