You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Team selection

Rashid

To be honest I am always up for the simple team selection, play players in their position and only change where there is fatigue or loss of form. Against Chelsea we could have played:

Kirkland

Josemi Hyypia Carragher Warnock

Garcia Hamann Alonso Kewell

Cisse Baros

Fairly simple straight foward team without the poor Riise in midfield or Sally fannying around. Rafa knows what he is doing, he will get us there but after so many poor away games with team selection on the negative side, would it not be better than to just play it simple, with decent players in their positions like we do at home?

If we want to emulate home form I think we should select the same team, its a worry though I agree, we have so many disasters waiting to happen in the team right now.

I don't think the line up that Benitez chose was that bad tbh.

Yes, I would probably have picked Hamann over Diao and possibly played Baros as an out and out striker with Cisse instead of Kewell fannying about somewhere in between, but having said that, I'm sure Benitez had his reasons for picking that side.

We lost, so the manager's always going to be open for criticism, but I think that's both cheap and unfair.

I didn't think Diao had a very good game likewise Kewell, but what about Josemi, Garcia and Cisse?

No one seems to be picking up my "not at all convinced by Josemi" vibes. Does anyone have a view? I'm saying poor positioning, no pace, commits himself too early on the negative side; commited, early days on the positive. What're y'all sayin?

No one seems to be picking up my "not at all convinced by Josemi" vibes. Does anyone have a view? I'm saying poor positioning, no pace, commits himself too early on the negative side; commited, early days on the positive. What're y'all sayin?

Agreeing with you Paul. And on the positive side, commitment should be a given and early days or not, positioning and tactical awareness should be in the DNA of any footballer worth his salt...he'll be gone in a year.

...on the positive side, commitment should be a given and early days or not, positioning and tactical awareness should be in the DNA of any footballer worth his salt...

Totally agree. It's starting to get right on my tits the way people defend mediocrity in a Red shirt because "he works hard". So fucking what? I put that comment in because I was clutching at straws for positives, but I think it's far too early to right the guy off.

In fact I'd go as far as not to write him off yet:-)

I think we should cut the guy some slack here so far. He came up against Duff and any full back is going to struggle if Duff gets the right start.

He might be fone in a year, but imo it's far too early to tell.

Agreeing with you Paul. And on the positive side, commitment should be a given and early days or not, positioning and tactical awareness should be in the DNA of any footballer worth his salt...he'll be gone in a year.

John B...ahh... i see.....you`re John Barnes... ..After reading your book i must say that the chapter about footballers DNA was quite boring!... so please don`t come on here spreading your propaganda!! ;)

I share the same view as you, Paul. The past few games we've seen more and more warning signs of Josemi about his positoning and pace, even the goal we conceeded against Bolton. The problem is we don't seem to have decent choice to choose.

er... i really rate him and think he's been a really good buy so far, save for just two occasions - one against Bolton when he was ran ragged by slow-arse and on Sunday by Damien Duff, when he came up agains,well, Damien Duff!

Other than that I think he's been excellent. He looks cool as you like on the ball but l;ooks like a fucking man possessed when he doesn't have it! I like that quality. I alos think he's a tough nut and built for this league.

Saying all that though, I haven't seen him away from home this season, other than on tele against Chelsea, so I can't comment on his positioning in those games.

So am I blind/ill or is it you lot? ;-)

er... i really rate him and think he's been a really good buy so far, save for just two occasions - one against Bolton when he was ran ragged by slow-arse and on Sunday by Damien Duff, when he came up agains,well, Damien Duff!

Other than that I think he's been excellent. He looks cool as you like on the ball but l;ooks like a fucking man possessed when he doesn't have it! I like that quality. I alos think he's a tough nut and built for this league.

Saying all that though, I haven't seen him away from home this season, other than on tele against Chelsea, so I can't comment on his positioning in those games.

So am I blind/ill or is it you lot? ;-)

I agree Tom, havn't seen enough of him away (although thought he was man of the match at Spurs) but I think he has done well.....its amazing how people change their minds on players based purely on the last 2 or 3 games.

Except for Chelsea I think he has been very good. And to be fair to him: Vs Chelsea he didn't get much support from Garcia and was facing one of the best LM in the world.

His positioning may be questionable sometimes but that could improve as he gets more used to his team-mates and the system (he's new, remember).

Against Monaco he was absolutely brilliant! Having spent most of my footballing "career" as a right back I really took notice! Guess you other guys were too impressed by Alonso's performance to take notice? :-)

Except for Chelsea I think he has been very good. And to be fair to him: Vs Chelsea he didn't get much support from Garcia and was facing one of the best LM in the world.

His positioning may be questionable sometimes but that could improve as he gets more used to his team-mates and the system (he's new, remember).

Against Monaco he was absolutely brilliant! Having spent most of my footballing "career" as a right back I really took notice! Guess you other guys were too impressed by Alonso's performance to take notice? :-)

I have been impressed with him since he signed and think he looks a good buy at 2m, nearly any player would struggle against Duff (apart from Carra of course) and people are forgetting he was one of our better players at Old Trafford when Giggs didn't get much change out of him. He has been solid and mostly reliable so far.

I agree Tom, havn't seen enough of him away (although thought he was man of the match at Spurs) but I think he has done well.....its amazing how people change their minds on players based purely on the last 2 or 3 games.

I haven't changed my view of him and, I repeat, it's too early to fully make up my mind.

However, I've seen him struggle big-time against Pedersen, Duff and Ronaldo (when he switched to that side for the last 20 mins at OT). When the initial eulogising was going on after two games ("best rb we've had in years" was one line I recall), I urged caution as he hadn't been tested. Now he has and has been found wanting.

I know he's had very little support from the midfield, but I also know that Carra could and would have handled all three of the above mentioned players. The lack of support he's getting is all the more reason for him to get his positioning right, because he's not fast enough to recover once the man has gone past him.

Despite what I've said, I am withholding judgement until he's had a real run of games (15-20, or so), had a chance to get to know his team-mates and English football, and had some more support. But the basics don't look great for a full-back.

I haven't changed my view of him and, I repeat, it's too early to fully make up my mind.

However, I've seen him struggle big-time against Pedersen, Duff and Ronaldo (when he switched to that side for the last 20 mins at OT). When the initial eulogising was going on after two games ("best rb we've had in years" was one line I recall), I urged caution as he hadn't been tested. Now he has and has been found wanting.

I know he's had very little support from the midfield, but I also know that Carra could and would have handled all three of the above mentioned players. The lack of support he's getting is all the more reason for him to get his positioning right, because he's not fast enough to recover once the man has gone past him.

Despite what I've said, I am withholding judgement until he's had a real run of games (15-20, or so), had a chance to get to know his team-mates and English football, and had some more support. But the basics don't look great for a full-back.

Your comparing him to Carra who is THE best defender in England, bit unfair to judge him compared to Carra, Most full backs would struggle against Duff and Ronaldo.

John, I agree it's unfair to compare him with Carra at this juncture in his Liverpool career, but that's surely what we're aiming for with a new player, isn't it? To stand up to comparisons with the best players in his position in the league? If not, what are we signing them for? We are Liverpool, after all; winning the league and European Cup are the goals.

GH has made us as fans accepting of mediocrity as long as it's hard-working mediocrity. We can only progress with hard-working quality; one without the other is useless, or else Kewell and Diao would both be Liverpool stars.

Guest JamesA

Josemi's pace is irrelevant. His positioning is all wrong - and it's not just his tendency to drift inside.

He generally starts from a position where he is too far off his player - he should be 'touch tight' to them, so within touching distance when leaning in on them. He then compounds that problem by rushing in too close once the ball is being delivered to them - it makes it simplicity itself to then turn him on either side - and his rushing in usually leaves him in a position where he cannot recover.

To be honest, a few coaching sessions should improve him - anyone got Rafa's number so I can give him a call ?

John, I agree it's unfair to compare him with Carra at this juncture in his Liverpool career, but that's surely what we're aiming for with a new player, isn't it? To stand up to comparisons with the best players in his position in the league? If not, what are we signing them for? We are Liverpool, after all; winning the league and European Cup are the goals.

GH has made us as fans accepting of mediocrity as long as it's hard-working mediocrity. We can only progress with hard-working quality; one without the other is useless, or else Kewell and Diao would both be Liverpool stars.

Gary Neville is somehow touted as the best RB in the country would you swap Josemi for him? As you say lets see where we are in 20 odd games with him. Mind you Bjorn Tore Kvarme looked a world class player when he first joined GULP!!!