You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

He's looking very broken, he's surely got to come to the conclusion that he really doesn't need this now? Stand down, get McDonell to stand and swap roles when he wins. I'm handing over to chancellor Corbyn.

There's absolutely no winners here, none.

He's looking very broken, he's surely got to come to the conclusion that he really doesn't need this now? Stand down, get McDonell to stand and swap roles when he wins. I'm handing over to chancellor Corbyn.

That's the thing though, if he steps down any new contender for the leadership - including McDonnell - would have to gather 51 nominations from MPs/MEPs to get on the ballot and they simply couldn't get it.

I've seen a lot of reports that Tom Watson was trying to ' negotiate ' a deal, so I wonder what that would entail? Maybe something like if Corbyn steps down they guarantee enough votes to get someone he picks like Clive Lewis on the ballot?

I think Seumas Milne is far more likely.

All the reports seem to put it at the door of Milne rather than McDonnell so I'd tend to agree.

I did see one report yesterday though that one of the PLP said in the meeting that ' McDonnell stands in the shadows behind you like Marc Antony " which I though was a bit fucking weird.

That's the thing though, if he steps down any new contender for the leadership - including McDonnell - would have to gather 51 nominations from MPs/MEPs to get on the ballot and they simply couldn't get it.

I've seen a lot of reports that Tom Watson was trying to ' negotiate ' a deal, so I wonder what that would entail? Maybe something like if Corbyn steps down they guarantee enough votes to get someone he picks like Clive Lewis on the ballot?

You really want Clive Lewis don't you mate?!

Watching from afar admittedly, but I don't get it. 

Cameron appeases the far right of the Conservative party and it all culminates in the recent vote to exit the European Union. If he were a strong leader he would have told them to go and form their own party, or join the UKIP or whatever. His weakness, compounded by an enormous miscalculation, has caused and will cause untold problems for many millions of people. It will take years to sift through. 

Cameron should be getting dog's abuse in the press, but he just seems to be gliding along quite serenely! He has resigned and will step down later in the year, but he has millions in the bank and will no doubt get a few cushy directorships, should he decide to exit the political arena. 

In the meantime, Corbyn is getting stabbed in the back repeatedly... by his own! He doesn't deserve that. His policies are more in keeping with the traditional labour electorate, and in that regard he's bang on... as I fear the country I left a few years ago is becoming increasingly polarised between the haves and the have nots, and it's not right that millions of people should be discounted or overlooked. 

Corbyn may not be the charismatic leader that some MP's think is able to win an election. If that's the case, put an alternate up and follow due process. At the moment it looks like Labour are shooting themselves in the foot to me. Corbyn is getting stabbed in the back by his own, while the fella who has caused an awful lot of trouble for everyone wafts by, seemingly untouched by it all.  

Madness.

• Upvote 3

Watching from afar admittedly, but I don't get it. 

Cameron appeases the far right of the Conservative party and it all culminates in the recent vote to exit the European Union. If he were a strong leader he would have told them to go and form their own party, or join the UKIP or whatever. His weakness, compounded by an enormous miscalculation, has caused and will cause untold problems for many millions of people. It will take years to sift through. 

Cameron should be getting dog's abuse in the press, but he just seems to be gliding along quite serenely! He has resigned and will step down later in the year, but he has millions in the bank and will no doubt get a few cushy directorships, should he decide to exit the political arena. 

In the meantime, Corbyn is getting stabbed in the back repeatedly... by his own! He doesn't deserve that. His policies are more in keeping with the traditional labour electorate, and in that regard he's bang on... as I fear the country I left a few years ago is becoming increasingly polarised between the haves and the have nots, and it's not right that millions of people should be discounted or overlooked. 

Corbyn may not be the charismatic leader that some MP's think is able to win an election. If that's the case, put an alternate up and follow due process. At the moment it looks like Labour are shooting themselves in the foot to me. Corbyn is getting stabbed in the back by his own, while the fella who has caused an awful lot of trouble for everyone wafts by, seemingly untouched by it all.  

Madness.

Its almost as though a right wing cabal is running the country behind the scenes, or, in the case of the media, right in front of everyones eyes.

• Upvote 2

Breaking News: Angela Eagle to challenge Corbyn

Hahahah!

Fuck me blind.  If she wins the leadership election I hope she enjoys it because I expect she'll be winning fuck all else.

I'm even more convinced that Jarvis is just trying to distance himself from all of this ahead of a tilt at the leadership at an undetermined point in the future now.  That or there's a story about him burning a few villages back in his army days waiting to surface.

I noticed that Chuka has been keeping his head down, strongly suspect he's another one with one eye on the future.  Also that he's got enough sense to realise that a well-spoken brown bloke with a funny name probably isn't going to engage with the voters in the traditional heartlands all that much given what we've learned about some of them this last week.

Not that I'm saying either of them are desirable candidates.

So you're not even going to countenance the idea that, momentum or not, the people who care about social democracy enough to become members of the Labour party might want to fight for Social Democracy and not just bend to the PLP, many of which don't seem willing to fight that fight.

Using the terms extremist, moderate and militant in the discussion on here is saying more about the people using them than anything going on in the Labour party.

I see no signs that your average Labour MP isn't a social democrat. It is risible to imply that Corbyn has a monopoly on social democracy.

It's a bit late to be lecturing folk about proper terminology when Labour members who don't fall into line behind Corbyn are routinely written off as Tories and neoliberals.

Not really. If you look at the newsnight stream you'll see the quotes are from the Chairs. Not momentum. Stop making things up.

Momentum are not Mitant. Nor are the SWP in charge as Kunessberg implies.

You get a handful of SWP stood outside Corbyn meetings trying to sell you their paper and hand you leaflets, most of which contain ideas contrary to Corbyn's. The most left wing people at meetings are usually the union reps. Mott are pretty middle of the road like me.

I was looking for info on the Wallasey CLP yesterday, and it seemed like Momentum were running the show in Wallasey, everything was coming out through them.

Do we have stats on how many constituency chairs are members of Momentum? Given their almost universal support for Corbyn, you'd be surprised if it wasn't a majority.

I see no signs that your average Labour MP isn't a social democrat. It is risible to imply that Corbyn has a monopoly on social democracy.

It's a bit late to be lecturing folk about proper terminology when Labour members who don't fall into line behind Corbyn are routinely written off as Tories and neoliberals.

I was looking for info on the Wallasey CLP yesterday, and it seemed like Momentum were running the show in Wallasey, everything was coming out through them.

Do we have stats on how many constituency chairs are members of Momentum? Given their almost universal support for Corbyn, you'd be surprised if it wasn't a majority.

Whats your problem with momentum?