You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Loris Karius

Captain

Keep him but sign a new number 1.

I really doubt he has the mental fortitude to go into next season, every tiny mistake will be scrutinised to death and it will be a constant reminder, probably causing him to make more mistakes if it means his head isn't 100% in the game.

Lovren got a fair bit of stick not long ago for having poor concentration levels, but he's shown that in the big games he can have great focus.

Karius completely lost his focus, twice, in the final of the biggest club competition in the world. If he can't concentrate in that then there's no hope for the future.

I don't think Klopp is going to slam the door on him.

Klopp has lots of patience and faith, much more than me and some of us.

Remember, there was no coming back for Lovren, after thoroughly and embarrassingly handing Kane and Spurs the match in front of over 80,000 at Wembley. 

Fast forward a few months and he's arguably one of the 5 best players on the pitch in an ECL Final. 

I don't think Karius is good enough... however, I'm not sure Klopp is going to give up on him.  I'm not sure that's Jürgen's schtick.

Back to second choice behind Oblak, maybe, hopefully.

The 3rd goal I think he just misjudged. If that was the only mistake he made, we'd all be pissed but you can sort of chalk that shit off as nerves or whatever. The first one, I think it's obvious he thought Benzema was too close and therefore couldn't legally touch the ball. I think it was Dockers who said that Poll was on the tele after saying had he gone for a kick it would've been flagged but because he rolled it that made it legal. If that's the rule then it's a fuckin stupid one but as others have pointed out, why tempt fate and leave it up to the ref to make a judgement call? Especially against them cunts.

I don't think all his potential is gone after Saturday but I certainly would be ecstatic if we brought in Alisson or Oblak. In the event that happens it's on Karius to beat them out, and if he does that then either all goalkeepers not named De Gea are actually shit, or he's better than anyone actually thinks he is.

As far as Achterberg goes, at a certain point the coach needs to be held accountable. You can argue Reina went shit towards the end here for a plethora of reasons that don't include Achterberg, even if he did also play a role. That was what 6 years ago though? Since then we've bought 2 keepers that looked the business elsewhere and have had a youngster in Ward who seemed to have potential, all of which have gone stagnant or gotten worse under him. I have no clue who would replace him, but there's got to be someone better for the job.

None of us have a notion what our goalkeeper coach is like at his job.

I think you can tell by the evidence. Used to see Joe Corrigan hitting tepid shots at David James before matches, when Friedal came in her developed the exact same flaws when dealing with crosses as James, then they pretty much vanished as soon as he left.

The 3rd goal I think he just misjudged. If that was the only mistake he made, we'd all be pissed but you can sort of chalk that shit off as nerves or whatever. The first one, I think it's obvious he thought Benzema was too close and therefore couldn't legally touch the ball. I think it was Dockers who said that Poll was on the tele after saying had he gone for a kick it would've been flagged but because he rolled it that made it legal. If that's the rule then it's a fuckin stupid one but as others have pointed out, why tempt fate and leave it up to the ref to make a judgement call? Especially against them cunts.

I don't think all his potential is gone after Saturday but I certainly would be ecstatic if we brought in Alisson or Oblak. In the event that happens it's on Karius to beat them out, and if he does that then either all goalkeepers not named De Gea are actually shit, or he's better than anyone actually thinks he is.

As far as Achterberg goes, at a certain point the coach needs to be held accountable. You can argue Reina went shit towards the end here for a plethora of reasons that don't include Achterberg, even if he did also play a role. That was what 6 years ago though? Since then we've bought 2 keepers that looked the business elsewhere and have had a youngster in Ward who seemed to have potential, all of which have gone stagnant or gotten worse under him. I have no clue who would replace him, but there's got to be someone better for the job.

It’s really not a stupid rule. You can throw the ball out from a height that a player can’t get his leg at. If you choose to roll it at shin height with an opposition player 2 yards away it’s your own stupid fault if it hits him. It’s not dangerous to stick a leg out like Benzema did when your rolling a ball out either and it’s also just one action of the arm.

The reason a player interfering with a keeper kicking it is a foul is because it’s the opposite of all those things. You have to drop it to your feet and an intelligent player could easily nick that away from the keeper every time and it’s also dangerous.

I’ve seen a few people writing that this is stupid and it’s almost like they’ve never played or watched a game of football in their lives before.

• Upvote 1

It’s really not a stupid rule. You can throw the ball out from a height that a player can’t get his leg at. If you choose to roll it at shin height with an opposition player 2 yards away it’s your own stupid fault if it hits him. It’s not dangerous to stick a leg out like Benzema did when your rolling a ball out either and it’s also just one action of the arm.

The reason a player interfering with a keeper kicking it is a foul is because it’s the opposite of all those things. You have to drop it to your feet and an intelligent player could easily nick that away from the keeper every time and it’s also dangerous.

I’ve seen a few people writing that this is stupid and it’s almost like they’ve never played or watched a game of football in their lives before.

The kicking rule from a goalkeeper kicking it out of his hands is deemed a foul because the whole exercise of dropping the ball onto the foot is considered as one whole movement. So even when the ball leaves the keeper's hands towards the foot it is still considered to be in the possession of the goalkeeper.

Once the ball leaves his hand, it's fair game. If the player tries to knock the ball out of his hand (I remember years ago a player headed the ball out of a keeper's hand and scored a goal, I think it was disallowed) then clearly that's out of line. It was a really silly decision which in the circumstances made no sense as there was no rush and there were other options available to him.

Edit:

The goal was allowed

If he was good enough before the biggest double gaffe ever witnessed, that would be one thing.

At best, he's had a few decent months after being entirely shite.

Get. Rid.

Don't wish him any ill, as I'm sure his head is up his arse, as it is.

This.  Most of us wanted a new GK brought in to be our starter already.

Before the final I was sure that Klopp wouldn't be ditching Karius and that he'd be first choice next season (for better or worse). Now, I'm not so sure about the second half of that... there's no way he'll be first choice, certainly not come August. 

Klopp is a people person and Karius right now is suffering. I appreciate that not everyone on here cares about that, or feel that he's well compensated to get over the mind stuff, but I think Klopp will. I think he'll see his first job as trying to rehabilitate the person and then worry about the football second.

So I reckon that Karius will at best be off on loan to somewhere 'safe'. I don't think it's in Klopp's make up to bin someone in these circumstances so I can't see him being sold (maybe unless Karius submits a transfer request) immediately. January / next summer once he's got his mind back in the game a bit, but not this summer. 

The kicking rule from a goalkeeper kicking it out of his hands is deemed a foul because the whole exercise of dropping the ball onto the foot is considered as one whole movement. So even when the ball leaves the keeper's hands towards the foot it is still considered to be in the possession of the goalkeeper.

I'm all for once it's out of the keeper's hands it's fair game.

Each time I've seen Donnarumma he reminds me of exactly the type of keeper we always seem to end up with. Makes some good saves and then makes some bad mistakes.

I'd rather we get a solid but unspectacular keeper if we can't get the two we've been linked with. Handanovic is a great shout. Think he's about 32 and he wouldn't cost anywhere near what Allison and Oblak cost, if both were open to a move.

Before the final I was sure that Klopp wouldn't be ditching Karius and that he'd be first choice next season (for better or worse). Now, I'm not so sure about the second half of that... there's no way he'll be first choice, certainly not come August.

Klopp is a people person and Karius right now is suffering. I appreciate that not everyone on here cares about that, or feel that he's well compensated to get over the mind stuff, but I think Klopp will. I think he'll see his first job as trying to rehabilitate the person and then worry about the football second.

So I reckon that Karius will at best be off on loan to somewhere 'safe'. I don't think it's in Klopp's make up to bin someone in these circumstances so I can't see him being sold (maybe unless Karius submits a transfer request) immediately. January / next summer once he's got his mind back in the game a bit, but not this summer.

I'm all for once it's out of the keeper's hands it's fair game.

I heard this explained by a PL referee so I have to assume its how others think too.

#7 is great

#17 I think the player was accused of fixing after that right?

Most of these are just donkey keepers thinking they can play with their feet

#17 definitely looks like he's on the take there. If #7 was a Welsh midfielder playing in Spain he would have just scored a worldie.

I guess the deciding fact will be if we do bring in a keeper who would be considered good enough to go straight into the first team. If that is the case the writing will be on the wall for Karius.

attribute number 1 for the new keeper.

Don’t throw the ball into your own net from a shot from distance.

Karius has set the bar very low his replacement.