You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Loris Karius

Captain

The way he let that second goal is was similar to the Roma home match when they hit he crossbar early on in the game his technique was all wrong in dealing with the shot from distance.

I’m already feeling like this summer and how well our season goes next season in klopp dealing with Karius Is huge.

Get in a top keeper and we can have a really good season if he stays he’ll cost us again.

technique you say, have we had a problem with other goalkeepers techniques in the last 5+ years? Is there a common denominator as to why all our keepers have shit technique?

technique you say, have we had a problem with other goalkeepers techniques in the last 5+ years? Is there a common denominator as to why all our keepers have shit technique?

you can make the argument for the second goal he conceded to be partly at fault for coaching not the first one though.

It’ll be a real downer to see him play for us again imo

The last great keeper we had was Bruce Grobbelaar. The last keeper we won the league with was... Bruce Grobbelaar.

Why, it's almost as if goalkeeper is the most important player on the team!

Time to stop fucking about. Spend £70m if you have to, Jurgen. Just get the position locked down.

Bruce Grobbelaar made some absolute clangers in his first season or two at the club and arguably as bad as Karius has made.The reasons he got through it were that the manager refused to let others tell him what to do and the player's supreme confidence in his own ability. I think you are also doing Reina a disservice as he was excellent before the Spanish GK coach left. He's also still playing at a good level after a spell at Bayern too.

Get Buffon in for a year. Let Karius play in a relegation threatened team that are going to be bombarded every game to see what’s he’s really made of, if he hardens up great hecan come back and see where he’s at, if not he’ll go for more than £5m. Let Ward be No2 and learn from Buffon. Fire fucking Bogdan in to the nearest sun to whatever fucking planet the person who signed him was on. Sell Mignolet for a coupla mil as he ain’t all that bad, just not good enough for a top tier club.

Buffon is going to PSG for one last big payday and to try and help win them the CL.

Oblak seems ungettable after signing a new contract.

Alisson would cost as much if not more than VVD. If RM are also interested Roma can squeeze us for even more after Salah.

Donnarumma is still young and despite making some changers himself looks to have something about him.

Unfortunately looks like we'll still have at least Mignolet or Karius at the club next season.

Atlético want to increase it to £130m apparently, but they haven’t yet.

£80m is a lot of money, but probably not as much as signing a cheaper option every season for the next five years. Signing Oblak would be transformative. The Mancs would be struggling for top four without De Gea rather than being comfortably second. He’d be our most important signing by some distance.

Nobody has mentioned Karius cardinal sin with the third goal of not getting two surfaces behind the ball. One of the first lessons all goalkeepers are taught when they are young is to get two surfaces behind the ball,hands first and body or face as the second one. This is so that if you do let the occasional bar of soap slip through then your body or face will act as a back up. My other problem,and it probably relates to both of Karius mistakes is that he's always looking to release the ball far too quickly. The first goal he stupidly rushed his throw which Benzema intercepted and I am willing to guess that with the third one he was already thinking about what to do with the ball before even securing it,fatal mistake. He's been doing this constantly and I can only imagine Klopp has been ok with it as he doesn't seem to have stepped in and said 'slow it down' at any time. I've also said before that many outfield coaches simply don't have a clue about goalkeeper coaching and it can really let them down.

Nobody has mentioned Karius cardinal sin with the third goal of not getting two surfaces behind the ball. One of the first lessons all goalkeepers are taught when they are young is to get two surfaces behind the ball,hands first and body or face as the second one. This is so that if you do let the occasional bar of soap slip through then your body or face will act as a back up. My other problem,and it probably relates to both of Karius mistakes is that he's always looking to release the ball far too quickly. The first goal he stupidly rushed his throw which Benzema intercepted and I am willing to guess that with the third one he was already thinking about what to do with the ball before even securing it,fatal mistake. He's been doing this constantly and I can only imagine Klopp has been ok with it as he doesn't seem to have stepped in and said 'slow it down' at any time. I've also said before that many outfield coaches simply don't have a clue about goalkeeper coaching and it can really let them down.

Exactly right. I used to be a goalie in my younger days. I’ll just add you don’t want to catch a ball like this. It’s much safer to knock it into the ground in front of you and then pick up the ball. You catch a ball like this only if there’s a danger in front of you

I completely agree with the original post (not sure if it quoted or not).

But if his hands where in front of his chest then even if he fluffed the shot it would have hit his chest.

I can forgive the first one. Ok, it was ridiculous, but them mistakes happen.

The second was purely bad goalkeeping. There's no defending it.

Exactly right. I used to be a goalie in my younger days. I’ll just add you don’t want to catch a ball like this. It’s much safer to knock it into the ground in front of you and then pick up the ball. You catch a ball like this only if there’s a danger in front of you

Yes,when you have time (as Karius did) you can simply knock the ball down in front of you and gather it up.

Some goalies can recover from situations like this,but it requires supreme confidence and I don't think Karius has this type of self belief. Also Klopp is the type of guy who doesn't throw his players under a bus so this will be a supreme test of his man management skills.

Yes,when you have time (as Karius did) you can simply knock the ball down in front of you and gather it up.

Some goalies can recover from situations like this,but it requires supreme confidence and I don't think Karius has this type of self belief. Also Klopp is the type of guy who doesn't throw his players under a bus so this will be a supreme test of his man management skills.

This is the big thing mate, I don't see it as throwing him under a bus (Klopp might) I see it as he wasn't good enough before the final in all honesty and he isn't good enough after it, I see it as moving him either on or backwards and bringing in someone better, as a club we have resorted to settling for some players and putting up with them for to long sentimental you could say we need to be more ruthless with transfers if they aren't good enough move them on not play them in another position to see if that's better Big transfer window this summer and we need to get it right.

Genuinely the first time I've heard this.

Been going around for a few weeks now. Pretty solid source and after Saturday, who would have reason to doubt it. 

Whilst I get the and I actively promote Karius going and not just because of Saturday - we all know he has been a liability since the get go - the bit I don't get, is Akcteberg(sic); he has now over seen a number of bang average goal keepers and most certainly has  say iontheir recruitment - if and when both Mingolet and Karius go, this lad need firing off as well. 

For me, I'd start with Danny Ward next season, the lad hasn't been given a chance so no one can really pass judgement, though sadly, Karius will no doubt will be still between the sticks, due to Klopps misguided loyalty issues. 

He didn't exactly get very close to Bale's overhead, a great strike but well inside his right hand post.

He dove backwards, not over critical on that goal compared to the other cluster fucks but he could have saved it.

This is the big thing mate, I don't see it as throwing him under a bus (Klopp might) I see it as he wasn't good enough before the final in all honesty and he isn't good enough after it, I see it as moving him either on or backwards and bringing in someone better, as a club we have resorted to settling for some players and putting up with them for to long sentimental you could say we need to be more ruthless with transfers if they aren't good enough move them on not play them in another position to see if that's better Big transfer window this summer and we need to get it right.

I am not convinced we will pay big bucks for a goalkeeper,whether this down to Klopp,FSG or a combination of the two,who knows? But it's obvious we need somebody with experience among our gk playing staff and I'd hope we'd also hold our gk coaching staff responsible too.

• Upvote 1

Allison and Oblak aside there arent mant top class proven Keepers about at the moment which is why both will go for top $$ i just cant see us spending that kind of money on a keeper... we need too but just cant see it.

Buffon for 1 season would be ok the kid a Milan has had a shakey few months aswell after the initial hype surrounding him. Once Mingolet and Karius go Achtenberg need to go with them it cant be a coincidence the problems weve had since he became GK coach.