You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Benteke

kirkbyred1

The price was a bit steep, but do we seriously think we're getting a bargain if we take the main man from another Prem team? And at £32M he is offering much more than other forward options we've had in the recent past - Balotelli, Aspas, Alberto; or Benteke?

His goals are winning valuable points. Our complement of no.10 types don't score enough. Our midfielders don't score enough. Sturridge is injured way too much. Ings is injured to the end of the season. Origi looks to be growing but he is injured now too.

So Benteke, warts and all, is proving useful. Long may it continue.

We need a top striker to be fit and firing, and if we had that (I'm looking at you Sturridge) we'd be top four comfortably. If Sturridge continues to miss games I'm sure Klopp will get the man we need. In the meantime, thank goodness for Benteke, as we'd be much much worse off without his goals and the points they are winning.

Benteke isn't a bad player, but has two issues at present:

1. Our 10's are not setting him up with enough chances;

2. If he has to think about what he's doing he turns into Fabio Borini.

The first we can do something about. The second is on him. As long as he keeps scoring in adversity and keeps it ticking over then all well and good, but I suspect that in the long run he is not the droid Klopp seeks.

You've three 'number tens' who should be putting it into his feet or head in the box regularly.

we need to be feeding him the ball like everton are getting it to lukaku. it doesn't need to be crosses all the time. they re all still trying to figure each other out.

Lukaku is a much more agile target man though. He seems to have the ability to use his attributes better than benteke. Having the team tailored to his strengths does help Lukaku a bit though!

Lukaku has been at Everton for a couple of years now. Last year he scored only 10 goals, playing almost the full season. In a couple of years time, if he stays, hopefully we'll be more used to Benteke, and vice versa.

I don't think he'll be here past the summer, I don't think he's good enough for a side with pretensions to being top class, but he's our man and he's doing his job - he deserves not to be slagged off for that.

If Rooney had scored some of the pearlers he's scored half of fleet street would be queueing up to give him a hand job.

It's also mad compared to the blind loyalty people gave other strikers of ours. Balotelli was perceived as some kind of tortured genius, and Carroll as 'unplayable on his day' (at what, a game that doesn't involve pineapple sourz?)

Benteke is doing what both those cunts never did, scoring goals and shutting the fuck up. Respect son.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 4

Second choice frontman for us and he's banging the goals in and winning us games. He's the least of our worries if you ask me.

Spurs midfield have got about 16 goals between them this season. We've got about 5 and they're all from Coutinho. Our issue is no one except Benteke is scoring

Second choice frontman for us and he's banging the goals in and winning us games. He's the least of our worries if you ask me.

Spurs midfield have got about 16 goals between them this season. We've got about 5 and they're all from Coutinho. Our issue is no one except Benteke is scoring

The two issues are not unconnected.

• Upvote 1

He's a very good player in the right team. A team that plays with two out & out wingers or one that likes to get the ball up early to him to hold up for the other striker or attacking midfielders, I'd imagine he would be well suited for.

Unfortunately we're not that team, and in our system unless he scores he offers virtually nothing else. Sturridge is similar in that regard as well.

Lets hope he keeps scoring.

• Upvote 1

Totally agree with this.

Origi injured, Sturridge injured, Ings injured. We have a fit, in-form striker and people are complaining. 

• Upvote 1

He's getting goals and getting us points, he's frustrating at times but it's hard to be that annoyed with him when we carry people like Lallana who's unlikely to even have a shot on target let alone actually score a goal! Firmino at least threatens goals allbeit they arent going in at the moment but he looks like he might have a goal streak in him.

He's a very good player in the right team. A team that plays with two out & out wingers or one that likes to get the ball up early to him to hold up for the other striker or attacking midfielders, I'd imagine he would be well suited for.

Unfortunately we're not that team, and in our system unless he scores he offers virtually nothing else. Sturridge is similar in that regard as well.

Lets hope he keeps scoring.

You think Sturridge offers fuck all if he doesn't score?