You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roberto Firmino

WhiskeyJar

Think he's been a little unlucky in his time here. Benteke's missed about 4 chances that Firmino has put on a plate for him, there was that Ibe miss the other day, Can hit the post today from one of his passes. He's hit the post himself 2 or 3 times from long range, all of which would have been spectacular goals. He's also worked pretty hard imo and won a lot of challenges.

I think his overall performances obviously need improvement but he's largely been unlucky not to be on about 6-7 assists and 3-4 goals, and that's all with only having one 90 minute appearance under his belt.

Not normally a fan of the whole ''he just needs time and he'll get better" excuse but I genuinely believe Firmino will be fine here.

• Upvote 1

This is just unbelievable, Benteke, who has been mostly terrible so far but scored winners in the games before West Ham and has six league goals to his name gets all the stick, and Firmino, who has been equally terrible so far if not worse, and has one tap-in to show for his efforts was mostly just unlucky.

His best form for us has come when deployed as a false nine. It's not resulted in a glut of goals for him but him being much further forward has allowed us to play with runners and ball-players around him. He looks so ineffectual when he's got a target man like Benteke to try and play off.

As I was saying! He looked much much better tonight because he was playing as a false nine. 

He put a bit more effort in today.  I'm not sure he ever looked a real threat; the chances he had he wasted, but a bit more commitment was good to see.  I was disappointed in Ibe, more than anyone.  He was obviously asked to play an unfamiliar role, but he just didn't impose himself at all.  

Have I been watching a different player ?

He's good on the ball , close control , good mobility  but he cant pass consistently and gives the ball away way too often. His shooting is pretty woeful . He has scored one tap in since he arrived,. He is still a better option than Benteke right now but I want to see a lot more from him

He's just actually a very clever player, his movement was excellent and always gave our midfielders an option going forward. Pity he's so nonchalant and a bit of a pussy at times. Could be a player if we manage to instill some grinta into him, but I have my doubts about that happening.

just hoping he is one of those that you don't write off in their first season- but comes good. nothing like the physique or style of Arnautovic obviously, he is more suited to England too, but he has taken a season to hit his stride and has been persisted with. pressure will be on though- proves scoring a load in the Bundesliga doesn't guarantee fuck all

Thought he played well against Stoke.  However, he went in for a challenge with Shawcross who took exception and went after him mouthing off.  10 seconds later he totally pulled a challenge and let the Stoke player have it.

In those situations, you challenge even harder as a response.

If he can put a bit more grit into his game, he can do well.  Otherwise the physicality of the English game will render him peripheral.