Quantcast
Should the UK remain a member of the EU - Page 1353 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Anny Road

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

  

310 members have voted

  1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

    • Yes
      252
    • No
      58


Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

I thought there was an agreement that those living in Europe at the time of the change could stay and vice versa? Or have I got that wrong.

 They have to apply for settled status and a number of them don’t want to do that as it comes with various responsibilities like committing to staying in the country for 183 days per year and paying tax there

 

I’m surprised how many people have been unprepared for this. I swapped my driving licence before the change because I was worried that if I didn’t then they might make me retake the driving test as seems to be happening to some people in France. I made sure my health and social security details were up-to-date and registered so I could continue to get healthcare if needed. I even changed my Amazon Prime account to Germany because obviously leaving the customs union would mean that I’d get stung for VAT and import fees if I stayed with Amazon UK- a detail that seemed to have eluded companies and the government in Britain. I feel really sorry for a number of small companies in the U.K. that I used to order from but can’t now - to give you an idea, a £200 order now has 27% VAT added to it, a £15 admin fee from the courier for dealing with customs forms plus an import fee from the Hungarian govt. All in all, what used to cost £200 now amounts to nearly £300
 

My national permanent residence card has just arrived so I’m confirmed as staying here now as long as I like. I just need to do the National ID card process when it opens to me in 2 weeks and then all the admin is complete. I’m thinking of taking dual citizenship in the next couple of years just to add an extra level of security to it

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PestiRed said:

 They have to apply for settled status and a number of them don’t want to do that as it comes with various responsibilities like committing to staying in the country for 183 days per year and paying tax there

 

I’m surprised how many people have been unprepared for this. I swapped my driving licence before the change because I was worried that if I didn’t then they might make me retake the driving test as seems to be happening to some people in France. I made sure my health and social security details were up-to-date and registered so I could continue to get healthcare if needed. I even changed my Amazon Prime account to Germany because obviously leaving the customs union would mean that I’d get stung for VAT and import fees if I stayed with Amazon UK- a detail that seemed to have eluded companies and the government in Britain. I feel really sorry for a number of small companies in the U.K. that I used to order from but can’t now - to give you an idea, a £200 order now has 27% VAT added to it, a £15 admin fee from the courier for dealing with customs forms plus an import fee from the Hungarian govt. All in all, what used to cost £200 now amounts to nearly £300
 

My national permanent residence card has just arrived so I’m confirmed as staying here now as long as I like. I just need to do the National ID card process when it opens to me in 2 weeks and then all the admin is complete. I’m thinking of taking dual citizenship in the next couple of years just to add an extra level of security to it

Any new pronouns we need to be aware of, Pesta?

Yeah, Brexit pretty much ended ordering cheaper items from Amazon UK on the continent.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, SasaS said:

Any new pronouns we need to be aware of, Pesta?

Yeah, Brexit pretty much ended ordering cheaper items from Amazon UK on the continent.


we don’t have gendered pronouns here so it’s hard to know what I am anymore

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/04/2021 at 10:59, AngryofTuebrook said:

 

23 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:


They’ve factored it in and don’t give a shit. I bet they’ve even accounted for another mainland campaign and probably figured they could use it to increase the flag waving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Anubis said:

 


They’ve factored it in and don’t give a shit. I bet they’ve even accounted for another mainland campaign and probably figured they could use it to increase the flag waving.

The fact that’s something we could see them doing speaks volumes 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone had suggested prior to the Referendum that Brexit could mean a return to violence in Northern Ireland, they would have been shouted down with the usual cries of "Project Fear"; after all, the leading Leave campaigners were saying that the UK wasn’t going to leave the Single Market, which means that the free movement that the Good Friday Agreement rests on would still be in place.

 

Lying cunts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Anubis said:

 


They’ve factored it in and don’t give a shit. I bet they’ve even accounted for another mainland campaign and probably figured they could use it to increase the flag waving.

It's the loyalists kicking off so I suppose gov.com doesn't see them striking on 'home soil', surely? They relied on the army and the police being on their side during he troubles and a domestic flare-up  would only alienate them further.

 

Last time I visited Norn Iron I go the feeling that the loyalists were an embattled group - all the signs were there: Union Jacks outside the houses and defiant slogans on their cars whilst everyone else (i.e the vast majority) just got on with their lives and enjoying post-GFA prosperity. A lot of people there seemed content to embrace their Irish-ness whereas the loyalists seemed like nasty neighbours. Tide is turning for them I think. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If one side kicks off it’ll only take the wrong attack, or march through a Catholic area, for retaliation and escalation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New research shows  (as I thought the 2016 research showed) that the Leave vote wasn't driven by the disaffected poor.

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/half-of-brexiteers-comfortably-well-off-not-left-behind-red-wall-voters-265503/

 

One depressing feature of that article is the prevalence of the bigotry and division promoted every day by the tax-dodging billionaires who own our shit rags. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, PrivateParts said:

New research shows  (as I thought the 2016 research showed) that the Leave vote wasn't driven by the disaffected poor.

 

As I pointed out last time:

 

On 25/07/2018 at 12:45, Strontium Dog™ said:

Nobody disputes that most Leave voters were middle class - because most people in general are middle class. But since most ABC1s voted Remain, their votes weren't the deciding factor.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The post Brexit Aussie trade deal going well, world beating diplomacy.

 

Career incompetent Liz Truss showing a man, of twenty years exerience negotiating trade deals, how it's done with her *checks notes* months of copy and pasting previous agreements we had as a member of the EU and agreeing to worse terms.

 

Go get 'em, Liz...

 

'Britain risks destroying trust with Australia as it tries to secure a post-Brexit trade deal, after the UK trade secretary’s allies were accused of launching an “unprovoked attack” on her counterpart on the eve of talks in London.

 

Trade experts said the reported comments about the Australian trade minister, Dan Tehan, by allies of Liz Truss were “bizarre” and “an unfortunate but serious setback for what should have been friendly negotiations”.

 

Tehan is due to meet with Truss on Thursday and Friday for talks focusing on negotiations for a free trade agreement, but has been accused by the British side of presiding over “glacially slow” progress.

 

The Telegraph in the UK quoted a source close to Truss as saying: “She plans to sit him down in the Locarno Room [in the Foreign Office] in an uncomfortable chair, so he has to deal with her directly for nine hours.” The ally, who reportedly said Truss and Tehan had struck up a good rapport, argued: “He is inexperienced compared to Liz. He needs to show that he can play at this level.'

 

Brexitainia will prosper!

 

Dickheads.

 

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/apr/21/bizarre-uk-comments-about-australias-trade-minister-a-serious-setback-to-talks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/10/2018 at 19:08, Anny Road said:

 

As predicted about 400 pages ago

and to agree with gnasher, who gets undeserved shit from apparently tolerant liberals for having a different view, don’t ever recall him giving anyone personal abuse but he gets a fair bit,

This is is the destruction of the Conservative Party. It cannot survive this parliamentary term. No way.

Labours moment of tipping will come but at the moment this is all on the Tories.

People have mentioned that the right of the Tory party view the hardship as a price worth paying for UK freedom.

I view this as a price worth paying to bin the Conservative Party.

Any minute now. Aaaaaany minute...

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, deiseach said:

Any minute now. Aaaaaany minute...

Small facts..

 

Most of Britain has been vaccinated. The economy is looking healthy.

 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57008220.amp

 

The absolute shambolic strategy regarding Covid by the EU shone a light on everything wrong with the out of date organisation. The pathetic attempt by the ex president of Latvia to strike a hard border across Ireland showed how out of touch the EU really is.

 

EU president Von de Leyenn is to the Conservative party what Argentinian despot General Guittiari was to Thatcher in the eighties, a gift of incompetence and bad ideas that keeps on giving. One right wing nut job out nutjobbing the other. The former Latvian president threatened a hard border across Ireland for fucks sake and the EU responses to Covid has been predictably useless and lame.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Small facts..

 

Most of Britain has been vaccinated. The economy is looking healthy.

 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57008220.amp

 

The absolute shambolic strategy regarding Covid by the EU shone a light on everything wrong with the out of date organisation. The pathetic attempt by the ex president of Latvia to strike a hard border across Ireland showed how out of touch the EU really is.

 

EU president Von de Leyenn is to the Conservative party what Argentinian despot General Guittiari was to Thatcher in the eighties, a gift of incompetence and bad ideas that keeps on giving. One right wing nut job out nutjobbing the other. The former Latvian president threatened a hard border across Ireland for fucks sake and the EU responses to Covid has been predictably useless and lame.

 

 

 

 

"Let the bodies pile high".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Lario said:

"Let the bodies pile high".

I totally agree with your point but I'm just stating facts that most of the UK has been partially vaccinated and that's obviously going to give a lot of the country relief from the worry of catching covid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Small facts..

 

Most of Britain has been vaccinated. The economy is looking healthy.

 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57008220.amp

 

The absolute shambolic strategy regarding Covid by the EU shone a light on everything wrong with the out of date organisation. The pathetic attempt by the ex president of Latvia to strike a hard border across Ireland showed how out of touch the EU really is.

 

EU president Von de Leyenn is to the Conservative party what Argentinian despot General Guittiari was to Thatcher in the eighties, a gift of incompetence and bad ideas that keeps on giving. One right wing nut job out nutjobbing the other. The former Latvian president threatened a hard border across Ireland for fucks sake and the EU responses to Covid has been predictably useless and lame.

 

 

 

 

Absolute horseshit and completely irrelevant.  Of the millions of people who voted yesterday, do you imagine that even one of them went to the polling station thinking about Ursula von der Leyen or the ex-president of fucking Latvia?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Absolute horseshit and completely irrelevant.  Of the millions of people who voted yesterday, do you imagine that even one of them went to the polling station thinking about Ursula von der Leyen or the ex-president of fucking Latvia?

Remmieeeee!

 

I see NIP's Thelma Walker got less than 1%.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×