You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

5 hours ago, Jenson said:

Now that it seems that A50 can be revoked without getting permission from the EU27, May's threat of 'her deal or no deal' is shot to pieces. She's fucked and hopefully the Tory party with her.

The practicalities of pulling it are difficult, especially for Maybot. She fought tooth and nail to prevent the European Courts considering whether A50 can be revoked unilaterally.

Her argument was the Government has no intention of doing this so it was irrelevant. Pathetic .

I still think we will end up with a second referendum rather than over the cliff. Her deal is toast,

No deal off the table? The Grieve amendment has just passed and it's now the MPs who will decide the course of action if May's plan is rejected next week and not the government. 

Oh and that's 3 defeats today for May. Unless she's a Hydra she can't have many more lives left.

• Upvote 2

Grieve's amendment's gone through as well- if May's deal gets voted down, the power of the House to decide on what kind of Brexit is increased. A hard Brexit or a no deal Brexit is now effectively dead in the water. Probably to May's relief.

^ Sorry, skend, posted at the same time as you did.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

In the wider world how is being a part of the EU helping the average working class citizen in France?

They have greater workplace rights and a more prosperous economy than they otherwise would have. 

Why do you ask? Getting nervous that Brexit might be stopped?

11 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Grieve's amendment's gone through as well- if May's deal gets voted down, the power of the House to decide on what kind of Brexit is increased. A hard Brexit or a no deal Brexit is now effectively dead in the water. Probably to May's relief.

^ Sorry, skend, posted at the same time as you did.

Just read that myself. She's quietly gotten no deal potentially off the table by getting a few of her loyalists to vote for the amendment. Interesting reading one unnamed senior ministers view over the weekend that we're basically heading for the Norway option but the Brexiteer's haven't realised it yet.

8 hours ago, Spy Bee said:

We fucking wish!

If Labour ride this out long enough, it could be win-win for them. The EU situation will be resolved one way or another and the public will want rid of the Tories.

Not for Corbyn they won’t, aren’t they still about 5% ahead even after this motorway pile up? Staggering really

1 hour ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Hasnt he said the mat he would back a second referendum?

Im asking you as you seem to know more and be more arsed about Labour than your own parties supposed attempts to back the Tories without thinking things through. 

Corbyn has still not come out and backed a second referendum. He said it might be an "option for the future".

I don't know what my "own parties supposed attempts to back the Tories" means.

Yes, I am massively arsed that Labour's manifesto, like the Tories' manifesto, advocates a Hard Brexit.

50 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

In the wider world how is being a part of the EU helping the average working class citizen in France?

Much as I like France and the French I don't really give a fuck

We're talking about the UK and the EU... the French can worry about France 

16 minutes ago, mattyq said:

Much as I like France and the French I don't really give a fuck

We're talking about the UK and the EU... the French can worry about France 

But France are a massive part of the EU as well as being our closest neighbours in the EU so when you say "We are talking about the EU and uk" then the situation in France shouldn't be ignored, it's all Inter linked.

24 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

But France are a massive part of the EU as well as being our closest neighbours in the EU so when you say "We are talking about the EU and uk" then the situation in France shouldn't be ignored, it's all Inter linked.

And yet...

A disparate group of French people are protesting against the French Government.  There are no anti-EU protests.

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Of course, he has, many times, come out unequivocally against a Hard Brext, but... as you were.

No he hasn't, the manifesto on which he ran last year commits Labour to exiting the single market and customs union.

4 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

So he's broken his manifesto commitment then?

I await your support for Labour falling to 7% and 8 MPs in the next election.

The deal with a manifesto is that if people vote you into Government, you're honour-bound to deliver its promises. (Provided, of course, you have a sense of honour  - *cough* student fees *cough*) If the electorate don't keep their part of the deal, the you're not bound to keep yours.

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog said:

No he hasn't, the manifesto on which he ran last year commits Labour to exiting the single market and customs union.

That was the manifesto for last year. It didn’t get him into government. Surely if wanted to win you’d have to change a few things. 

3 hours ago, Gnasher said:

After everything that has happened here we are with yet another brexiter that still doesn't know who there closest neighbour is.

• Upvote 1