You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool vs Manchester United, March 22nd 2015

lebron

This is when we destroy them.

They are like a mediocre heavyweight with flashy shorts and a pumping intro song, whose been kept away from all the real prospects. We're gonna be like Tyson in his hey day. We're gonna go medieval on their ass. The whole ground needs to be in full voice, flags out and full on lung busting support for the whole 95 and a half minutes.

This is it. 

• Upvote 3

This is when we destroy them.

They are like a mediocre heavyweight with flashy shorts and a pumping intro song, whose been kept away from all the real prospects. We're gonna be like Tyson in his hey day. We're gonna go medieval on their ass. The whole ground needs to be in full voice, flags out and full on lung busting support for the whole 95 and a half minutes.

This is it.

Not sure if I'd go more Lennox Lewis. We'll jab away, be well ahead on points the whole contest with an early goal, but will have to make sure we keep our chin guarded so don't get caught cold. As in both boxing and football, the ref will be vital.

Or we could go full Clubber lang

We need a big performance. A couple of weeks ago I'd have been very confident about beating them handsomely. Now I'm not so sure. Since then I've watched us struggle against Blackburn and underwhelm against Swansea for the best part of an hour. Our mini downturn happened to coincide with them putting in their best performance of the season against a useful Spurs side. All of a sudden the ponderous Man Utd team I'd seen for most of the season were snapping into tackles, playing with pace and movement, creating chances and basically putting the game to bed long before the half time whistle blew. 

If we had started the season better we'd be out of sight by now. It's credit to Rodgers and the team that we found a new system and turned it around from about Christmas onwards. Now we are in the conversation for a CL finish, whereas three months ago most would have laughed at the prospect. 

Man Utd have been poor for most of the season, yet they are still above us. And unfortunately what I saw in their game against Spurs reminded me of the way they have played for much of the past two decades. 

It is all poised. Are we going to play in such a way that our tail is between our legs and they grow in belief as they try to climb back to what they were? Or are we going to go out there and destroy them? I can see either option unfolding. Maybe I've just sat through too much of their success and the wounds run deep. Maybe there isn't very much to fear after all. 

If we beat them well then the ramifications might just have enormous magnitude. We could go on and establish ourselves at the top table again, while they might be resigned to the Europa for next season, giving them a sizable headache, as their wage gamble and prospects for attracting and retaining better players needed the CL to make it work. They might have enough cash momentum to spend big and roll the dice for another season, but do they stick or twist with Van Gaal if he doesn't get them CL football this time? 

It's hard to stay calm about this one. One good result (or bad result, depending on perspective) could change so much. Let's beat them, and beat them well. But don't overdo the celebrations, as there will still be a lot of work to do. 

Come on!

PS - and to invoke the spirit of the late, great Bob Paisley... Raheem, if you find yourself in a great position in their box and you are not sure what to do, just stick it in the back of the net and we'll discuss the options later! 

• Upvote 4

The key is winning the midfield battle, for which we are better suited with the intense pressing of Henderson, Allen and Lallana. Spurs rely more on pace and collective movement going forward than territorial control, thus ceding the midfield to the Scum which they galloped at will. They do have a better attack though and Sturridge and Sterling would have to be on their toes; not to mention De Gea.

We seem to have turned a corner since they beat us at their place, including our ability to raise our game for the bigger games, like we did against City.

If we play to that level, with the same intensity of pressing without the ball, I'm confident that we'll have enough to beat them. Their back line is relatively poor on the ball, so press high and then use our pace to get in behind them.

I'd bench Sturridge. He still looks off the pace. Sterling up top and bring Markovic in on the right of the midfield four.

We seem to have turned a corner since they beat us at their place, including our ability to raise our game for the bigger games, like we did against City.

If we play to that level, with the same intensity of pressing without the ball, I'm confident that we'll have enough to beat them. Their back line is relatively poor on the ball, so press high and then use our pace to get in behind them.

I'd bench Sturridge. He still looks off the pace. Sterling up top and bring Markovic in on the right of the midfield four.

Earlier in the season nothing annoyed me more than our lack of strikers, but now I find myself inclined to agree with this. The team that played against City without Sturridge would destroy United

It depends heavily on the crowd, if it's the prawn sandwich brigade and Anfield's like a library then it could go either way. If it's like the City game last season where every touch we make is cheered and every time they are in possession they are booed constantly for 90 minutes then i have no doubt we'll win the game.

It depends heavily on the crowd, if it's the prawn sandwich brigade and Anfield's like a library then it could go either way. If it's like the City game last season where every touch we make is cheered and every time they are in possession they are booed constantly for 90 minutes then i have no doubt we'll win the game.

We're not in a title race this year so I suspect it won't be like the City game, but not quite a library either, given that it is them cunts and all.

They will have studied that Swansea game and the way they set up against us especially in the first half.  Rodgers should know that and be ready. Carrick is a key player and closing him down imperative. Spuds gave him acres of space and paid the price.

Score first and we will win.