You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool vs Manchester United, March 22nd 2015

lebron

Joe Allens biggest problem is that hes a footballer. Good first touch, comfortable in possession, intelligent, ball retention a priority. Unfortunately after Benitez filled our squad with cloggers like Lucas, Kuyt et al the modern uneducated Liverpool fan thinks that unless a player runs around waving his arms chasing the ball like an over excited cocker spaniel he isnt "putting in a shift"or he "lacks balls". Its gonna take a long time to re-educate these fans but  with a progressive manager like Rodgers preaching pass and move football as his core philosophy, and technique and game intelligence valued over graft and grind, the future looks bright

Utrecht:     Apps: 160    Goals: 51

Feyenoord:    Apps: 101    Goals: 71

Liverpool:     Apps: 208    Goals: 51

Fenerbache:     Apps: 87    Goals: 26

Netherlands:   Apps: 104    Goals: 24

Chris-morris-jumps-out-window-o.gif

• Upvote 6

Joe Allens biggest problem is that hes a footballer. Good first touch, comfortable in possession, intelligent, ball retention a priority. Unfortunately after Benitez filled our squad with cloggers like Lucas, Kuyt et al the modern uneducated Liverpool fan thinks that unless a player runs around waving his arms chasing the ball like an over excited cocker spaniel he isnt "putting in a shift"or he "lacks balls". Its gonna take a long time to re-educate these fans but  with a progressive manager like Rodgers preaching pass and move football as his core philosophy, and technique and game intelligence valued over graft and grind, the future looks bright

Where... To.... Start.

Infact i cant be arsed, Could be the single worst post ive ever seen on here, and that would take some doing.

• Upvote 1

Ah, you mean he moves away from players rather than dribbling past them.

If I didn't know better, I'd think you were deliberately misusing adjectives to embellish his role as without such mischief everything he does is merely adequate but nondescript - you cheeky little scamp!

I count dribbling as beating players by either skill or good foot work, if you are referring to dribbling where the ball doesn't leave the players feet not many players can do that apart from Messi.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9gf7Dxms_zE

I was going to select a time to watch on this video but there's so many examples of his class whoevers interested might aswell watch the whole thing.

I've seen Lfc fans criticise his performance in this game for losing the ball a few times which I find baffling, if anyone is not impressed with what they saw against Swansea then I have doubts about their football knowledge and can only assume their idea of football is just watching match of the day and seeing goals and assists.

Giving Allen "a license to get forward" would be as useful as giving my goldfish a license to drive a forklift.

Allen gets in the box, even poor finishers if they get in there enough will get goals.

His pressing and ability to keep the ball under pressure is very impressive aswell and would be a benefit for us if he could do it in the opposition half.

There were plenty of examples of him winning the ball in the oppositions half and playing players through when he was at Swansea, Against arsenal sticks out where he nicked the ball and played a nice through ball to dyer who scored.

• Downvote 1

I count dribbling as beating players by either skill or good foot work, if you are referring to dribbling where the ball doesn't leave the players feet not many players can do that apart from Messi.

I was going to select a time to watch on this video but there's so many examples of his class whoevers interested might aswell watch the whole thing.

I've seen Lfc fans criticise his performance in this game for losing the ball a few times which I find baffling, if anyone is not impressed with what they saw against Swansea then I have doubts about their football knowledge and can only assume their idea of football is just watching match of the day and seeing goals and assists.

It's the fact that he's so inconsistent that irks me, for every City or Swansea game you get a Besiktas or Man Utd one a week later where he goes missing for half the game & gets pushed around like a fucking schoolgirl.

Quite happy with him in the sqaud but a top midfielder is a huge priority for me in the summer & he'd be first to make way.

It's the fact that he's so inconsistent that irks me, for every City or Swansea game you get a Besiktas or Man Utd one a week later where he goes missing for half the game & gets pushed around like a fucking schoolgirl.

Quite happy with him in the sqaud but a top midfielder is a huge priority for me in the summer & he'd be first to make way.

Besiktas and Manu were games where the team played shit and couldn't keep the ball.

Allend job is to defend and keep the ball, if he's passing it to other players and they can't keep it under pressure then there's not much he can do.

Surround him with players who are comfortable on the ball under pressure and in tight spaces and we would be playing around players pressing us with no problems.

Besiktas and Manu were games where the team played shit and couldn't keep the ball.

Allend job is to defend and keep the ball, if he's passing it to other players and they can't keep it under pressure then there's not much he can do.

Surround him with players who are comfortable on the ball under pressure and in tight spaces and we would be playing around players pressing us with no problems.

Call me mental but I think replacing him with a better midfielder would be easier than replacing the other 10.

On that entire video, there are 4 moments that may be described as "very good" where he does something impressive and 1 that would be described as "embarrassing" (53seconds in if you're interested).

99% of that video is Joe Allen receiving the ball and moving it on 5-10 yards. Sometimes he comes under pressure and he'll step away and lay it off simply. In other words - the basics.  

I have no problem with Joe Allen being part of our squad as he's a no fuss, professional, competent midfielder who is a solid back up when you need him. The fact that he offers nothing unique, exceptional or different to what any of his colleagues can do, whereas they do offer specialities, means back up is all he should be.

Our ams and strikers are good on the ball and comfortable being pressed, the player that sticks out for me every match is Henderson who isnt.

Fair enough, mate.

I'm not one for going round in circles, have a rep for sticking to your guns.

• Upvote 1

On that entire video, there are 4 moments that may be described as "very good" where he does something impressive and 1 that would be described as "embarrassing" (53seconds in if you're interested).

99% of that video is Joe Allen receiving the ball and moving it on 5-10 yards. Sometimes he comes under pressure and he'll step away and lay it off simply. In other words - the basics.

I have no problem with Joe Allen being part of our squad as he's a no fuss, professional, competent midfielder who is a solid back up when you need him. The fact that he offers nothing unique, exceptional or different to what any of his colleagues can do, whereas they do offer specialities, means back up is all he should be.

His exceptional talent is when he is being pressed or is in a tight space he can find a way out and still keep possession, he makes it look so easy that some may think it is which could be why some don't recognize how good he is.

Your description sounds like Henderson to me, good squad player but he hasn't got one attribute that he is very good at.Maybe pressing but that is not a really impressive thing for me and Allen is as good.

• Downvote 1

Is he looking to switch to rugby?