You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

TLW picks the team v Chelsea League Cup Semi Final 2nd leg

Paco

TLW picks the team v Chelsea  

26 members have voted

1. 1. who starts?

2. 2. what formation?

Chelsea are set to recall key players such as Branislav Ivanovic, John Terry, Diego Costa and Nemanja Matic, who sat out the FA Cup defeat to Bradford City.

John Obi Mikel (head) and Andre Schurrle (back) are injury doubts.

Liverpool will assess striker Daniel Sturridge, who is back in training after a long-term thigh problem.

Steven Gerrard and Martin Skrtel could return after being rested at the weekend, while it remains to be seen whether Mario Balotelli earns a recall. 

MATCH PREVIEW 

Jose Mourinho was so angry at Chelsea's FA Cup exit to Bradford City he gave his players the silent treatment, but the Blues boss has urged fans to turn up the volume in Tuesday's League Cup semi-final second leg against Liverpool.

Play media

Chelsea still not favourites - Mourinho

"If Stamford Bridge can give us 25% of the emotion Anfield gives Liverpool we can do it," he told Chelsea TV.

"Chelsea, instead of 1,000, will have 40,000. I hope that can make a difference in the atmosphere."

The Portuguese admitted he said "not a word" to his team immediately after Saturday's embarrassing defeat, but has hinted at dissatisfaction with some of Chelsea's fringe players after making nine changes against League One Bradford.

"I don't make many changes. I try to keep stability in the team. Maybe now you can understand a bit better why," he said.

Liverpool had the better of the first leg, which ended 1-1, and manager Brendan Rodgers says the Reds travel to London in good spirits.

"The team is on the up, we have seen that over the last number of weeks - confidence is really high," he said.

"We certainly won't be underestimating Chelsea because they have had a disappointing result, we know that every element of our game has to be at a high level.

"If you analyse the last game [against Chelsea] we were very good defensively, we had great pressure on the ball, we were very good controlling the counter-attack.

"The opportunity to win trophies was always going to be a priority for us. We feel confident that we can get a result that gets us into the final."

MATCH FACTS Head-to-head
  • Liverpool have scored in each of their last six visits to Stamford Bridge in all competitions.
  • The Reds won three successive games away to Chelsea in 2011 but are without a victory in their subsequent three visits (D1, L2).
Chelsea
  • The 4-2 defeat to Bradford City on Saturday was the Blues' first loss in 17 league and cup games at Stamford Bridge (including 16 matches this season).
  • It was also the first time a side coached by Jose Mourinho has conceded four goals in a home game.
  • The Blues have scored at least twice in each of their last 13 games at Stamford Bridge in all competitions.
  • Chelsea have won the League Cup four times, including 2005 and 2007 under Mourinho. They were also runners-up in 2008, and lost in the semi-finals to Swansea two seasons ago.
  • In 11 previous semi-final appearances, the Blues have reached the final just six times.
Liverpool
  • The Reds have won five successive away games in all competitions since their 3-0 defeat at Manchester United on 14 December.
  • Liverpool are the most successful club in League Cup history with eight trophies and 11 finals.
  • But this is only the second time Liverpool have progressed beyond the fourth round in seven seasons; on the other occasion (2011-12) they went on to win the competition.
  • The Reds have progressed through their last four semi-finals in the League Cup since going out to Middlesbrough. Of their previous 14 appearances in the last four, Liverpool have reached the final on 11 occasions.
  • Steven Gerrard has scored one goal in 37 career appearances against Chelsea in all competitions.

I'd be happy with the same team as last week but wouldn't be against Johnson starting ahead of Markovic at rwb and lallana ahead of Gerard in the am role.

Both could be good off the bench but I expect Gerard to start with his big game experience.

Your posts are about as accurate as a Balotelli shot on goal.

• Upvote 1

Got a bad feeling about tonight, Shitcoats comments after the first leg about them not exploiting the space our defence leaves due to poor passing stuck in my head at the time as right and he has been on about it again...........

I was frustrated because Liverpool gave a lot of space,” he said. “They play with three defenders, the full-backs are wide, and we could have hurt them much more than we did there. Normally our midfield is full of quality, but we lost so many passes. I saw enough space to score more goals in that game.

I have a bad feeling because they have better players than us. But we are better than Bradford, so who the hell knows? The Bradford upset came at the worst possible time, though, because they are going to be well up for it.

They definitely do, and of course it gives them an advantage.

Heart, determination and a good tactical/team setup however will always be at least as important as the quality of the players. So let's see....