You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What's your opinion of Brendan Rodgers?

Paco

What do you think of Brendan Rodgers?  

198 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Brendan Rodgers?

• I despise him
    • even when we were playing great last season, I couldn't stand him
    • he deserves as much credit as anyone for last season
    • he was lucky last season
    • I want him out
    • I hold him responsible for our poor signings this season
    • I have always been embarrassed listening to his interviews
    • he's an excellent manager
    • I love him
    • he gets until at least the end of the season
    • defensively he hasn't a clue
    • last season was down to Suarez
    • I don't mind his chat
    • he overachieved last season
    • he's wasted £100m+ and doesn't deserve another penny
    • he needs backing from the board and money for players in January
    • I trust him to turn it around
    • if we return to playing something close to last seasons football I'll give him another season
    • sack him now, install an interim manager and get simeone, klopp or someone in the summer
    • get rafa now
  2. 2. Should Rodgers be sacked immediately?

So your being selective on past performances of managers to suit what you're thinking now, basically.

Not really. A Brendan Rodgers' team challenging for the title is an outlier. Come to think of it, a Brendan Rodgers' team qualifying for the CL is also an outlier.

It is cause for concern, I haven't suggested otherwise mate.

I bet Dortmunds situation is cause for concern too.

To be frank, I find it ridiculous that such a fine margin could so dramatically alter someone's viewpoint. I know your style on here and if you're trying to suggest that you wouldn't be on Rodgers case if we were second bottom then I just don't believe you.

Truthfully. I wouldnt. But he's won nothing, and he has spent 120 million to make us worse. It's simple fact. I'm not working on opinion here.

I enjoyed last season, it was excellent, no doubt about it. But this season, taking Suarez out of the argument, rodgers has changed EVERYTHING about us compared to last season.

Our formation, our style of play. Our intensity.

Now ill give my opinion. Last season he stumbled upon a formation that worked. The whole pressing thing didn't come from him perse (not sure I've spelled that correctly). That's basically just Suarez style, he does it regardless. That then entices other players to pull their socks up.

Now this season, he sells Suarez. Not his fault, I certainly wouldn't blame him on that. However not signing a similar style replacement is 100% his problem. I have zero sympathy for him with this issue. We all knew we needed a better goalkeeper. Again, he didn't address this issue, again, I blame him 100% on this. Next we needed another centre half, he bought Lovren, he's shit, again, I blame him 100% on this.

Now ill go to our formation this season. For a man that claimed to have a philosophy on football, well, in my opinion the smart thing would be to copy what we did last season. But oh, again, my opinion, he's reverted to a formation that HE WANTED. That's this mickey mouse 3-4-3 thing. We've also forgotten about the whole pressing thing. So again, just my opinion, this proves last year's pressing wasn't down to him.

That's fairly summed up my opinions on what he's done since not winning anything last season.

Would I sack him this minute. If we where to replace him with a proven winner, yes.

However, if we had plans to replace him with some other inexperienced no mark. Then no, I wouldn't sack him. Better the devil you know I suppose.

But would I give him money to spend. Nope, not a fucking penny more would he get.

• Upvote 2

Truthfully. I wouldnt. But he's won nothing, and he has spent 120 million to make us worse. It's simple fact. I'm not working on opinion here.

I enjoyed last season, it was excellent, no doubt about it. But this season, taking Suarez out of the argument, rodgers has changed EVERYTHING about us compared to last season.

Our formation, our style of play. Our intensity.

Now ill give my opinion. Last season he stumbled upon a formation that worked. The whole pressing thing didn't come from him perse (not sure I've spelled that correctly). That's basically just Suarez style, he does it regardless. That then entices other players to pull their socks up.

Now this season, he sells Suarez. Not his fault, I certainly wouldn't blame him on that. However not signing a similar style replacement is 100% his problem. I have zero sympathy for him with this issue. We all knew we needed a better goalkeeper. Again, he didn't address this issue, again, I blame him 100% on this. Next we needed another centre half, he bought Lovren, he's shit, again, I blame him 100% on this.

Now ill go to our formation this season. For a man that claimed to have a philosophy on football, well, in my opinion the smart thing would be to copy what we did last season. But oh, again, my opinion, he's reverted to a formation that HE WANTED. That's this mickey mouse 3-4-3 thing. We've also forgotten about the whole pressing thing. So again, just my opinion, this proves last year's pressing wasn't down to him.

That's fairly summed up my opinions on what he's done since not winning anything last season.

Would I sack him this minute. If we where to replace him with a proven winner, yes.

However, if we had plans to replace him with some other inexperienced no mark. Then no, I wouldn't sack him. Better the devil you know I suppose.

But would I give him money to spend. Nope, not a fucking penny more would he get.

Sorry mate, I simply don't believe you on the first part.

So would you give him the money he needs to fix the team now. Which as we all know, is the exact same issues we had in the summer, before he spent a previous 120 million?

If had kept Agger and Kelly, we would have had more money for a decent striker, and our defence wouldn't (couldn't) be worse that it is.

Grand, you don't believe me. Do you fancy replying to my previous post. Approximately 35 words.

You seem to think that I am some kind of superfan of his or something.

This season has been crap and if he is sacked then he can't complain too much about it.

I personally would wait and see how things go until the end of the season, I believe he's earnt that.

I also think there are bigger issues to address, especially with regards to transfers, rather than to pin everything on one man.

There's no doubt that he's had a very bad 5 months though.

I completely challenge the view that such a small margin would completely alter your opinion and I also find it bizarre that some people are pining for another manager who is massively underperforming.

You seem to think that I am some kind of superfan of his or something.

This season has been crap and if he is sacked then he can't complain too much about it.

I personally would wait and see how things go until the end of the season, I believe he's earnt that.

I also think there are bigger issues to address, especially with regards to transfers, rather than to pin everything on one man.

There's no doubt that he's had a very bad 5 months though.

All fair points. But would you give him the money now to fix some issues?

I know I said I wouldnt give him a penny. I would at least let him get a new keeper. We're just shocking in that department.

All fair points. But would you give him the money now to fix some issues?

I know I said I wouldnt give him a penny. I would at least let him get a new keeper. We're just shocking in that department.

If there is money to spend in January then yes I would let him spend it.

Or should I say 'them' because that's the current model.

If there is money to spend in January then yes I would let him spend it.

Or should I say 'them' because that's the current model.

Until it's shown to be otherwise mate I'm not having that he doesn't have the total and final say on who we sign because although I can't be arsed looking I'm pretty sure he has said as much.

I think they'll give him money because I can't see how they wouldn't, they've invested too much in him with his new contract and last summers spend, he is their man and there's no way i can see them fucking him off until at least the summer

Until it's shown to be otherwise mate I'm not having that he doesn't have the total and final say on who we sign because although I can't be arsed looking I'm pretty sure he has said as much.

I think they'll give him money because I can't see how they wouldn't, they've invested too much in him with his new contract and last summers spend, he is their man and there's no way i can see them fucking him off until at least the summer

He is quoted as saying that mate I know. He's also quoted as saying that his choice in the summer, with regards to replacing Suarez, was Balotelli or no-one, which if true isn't right to me.

I don't have a definitive opinion either way to be honest mate but I do think it's easy to just blame one man and then let other people be unaccountable.

What a great gig eh? Have influence but zero accountability. Nice one.

One thing I do know, and this is as close to a fact as possible, is that he doesn't have the final say on sales so it's not a stretch for me to have similar doubts about purchases.

The buck stops with the manager and absolving him from transfer decisions is wrong as he refused to take the job with an overseer.

The biggest problem with our signings is that we've signed the wrong types of players. Needed a GK,DM(especially) and an out and out goalscorer with a bit of pace about him,like Suarez,or Sturridge even.

We've signed none of these and have paid for it so far this season.

The buck stops with the manager and absolving him from transfer decisions is wrong as he refused to take the job with an overseer.

The biggest problem with our signings is that we've signed the wrong types of players. Needed a GK,DM(especially) and an out and out goalscorer with a bit of pace about him,like Suarez,or Sturridge even.

We've signed none of these and have paid for it so far this season.

It's not a case of absolving him from blame it's wanting to understand how the system works.

They say it's 'checks and balances' which intimates that group decisions are made.

Therefore is it not fair for there to be accountability for them all?

Brownie is making a lot of points that i agree with.

I also think that a lot of decisons made by Rodgers appear to us as tactical but in reality are a manifestation of his poor transfer dealings - which everyone has acknowledged.

The example I would give is the 'tactical' decision to play no strikers. This was cited earlier in this thread as an example of his poor tactical nouse. However we know if he has good strikers available he would deploy them successfully. He wouldn't tactically choose to leave them out. However currently he is forced to, because of his own poor transfer dealings.

The arrangements he makes therefore are to try to work to the strategy brownie outlined with the players he has available. And I like the attacking mindset he has. Last season was the best in a very long time. Poetry in motion.

If he sorts out transfer policy he sorts out our problems.

I don't want us to be a club that chops and changes managers. I certainly don't want us to feed the media contrived pressure as they circle over any potential prey trying to create news so they can report on it.

I know most of you disagree with this precis and that is fair enough.

• Upvote 3

Coming from the person who gives it the 'Who are you?' line on the internet, haha!

I guess some people just don't do self awareness, thanks for the laugh anyway.

I'm plenty self aware, you're the one who jumps in on an argument that's got nothing to do with him and starts dishing out the abuse. Internet hardman.

I think if Klopp becomes available we should go for him. He's just a better caliber of manager than anyone we've had since Rafa. We wouldn't of even got a look in until this season, but the fact that his side of fallen apart through injuries and the fact that Arsenal are highly likely to finish top 4 would allow us a window of opportunity to move for Klopp. He wants to come to England next, if Pellegrini pushes close for the title and Wenger finishes top 4 then we'd be the most obvious option for him.

The foundation of Sturridge, Sterling, Coutinho, Lallana and Henderson is a strong one to build on, he's someone that could help us sign a better standard of player just through his name alone. Sticking with Rodgers would be like sticking by David O Leary when you've got the chance to get Ancelotti. He's a one trick pony, without his prize pony.

I couldn't think of another manager more suited to our style of play, the pressing counter attack style specifically than Jurgen Klopp.

• Upvote 2

I think if Klopp becomes available we should go for him. He's just a better caliber of manager than anyone we've had since Rafa. We wouldn't of even got a look in until this season, but the fact that his side of fallen apart through injuries and the fact that Arsenal are highly likely to finish top 4 would allow us a window of opportunity to move for Klopp. He wants to come to England next, if Pellegrini pushes close for the title and Wenger finishes top 4 then we'd be the most obvious option for him.

The foundation of Sturridge, Sterling, Coutinho, Lallana and Henderson is a strong one to build on, he's someone that could help us sign a better standard of player just through his name alone. Sticking with Rodgers would be like sticking by David O Leary when you've got the chance to get Ancelotti. He's a one trick pony, without his prize pony.

I couldn't think of another manager more suited to our style of play, the pressing counter attack style specifically than Jurgen Klopp.

You rate him but also think he's a one trick pony?

BR is still a young manager who is learning the game. Im not sure if he is to blame or the transfer committee, or both.

He had Alexis Sanchez as his nr. 1 target when Suarez left. He also had Ryan Bertrand as his 1 choice. He couldnt sell Borini, because Borini refused to go to Sunderland. Instead he had to get someone in at the end of the transfer window, and ended up with Balotelli...

With Sanchez+Bertrand and Sturridge fit we would be very close to Chelsea, as our playstyle is based on pace up front. In that case BR would be declared a genious.

I think 2nd part of the season will be much better, and we are very lucky that 4th is still in reach. With a new striker in + Sturridge back we can finally play the way BR wants us to play with high pressure and pace. We cant do that with Balotelli and Lambert. Those of you who think that sacking BR and getting Klopp in january will change anything are just muppets. Im 100% sure that Klopp himself would want to turn things around himself. No way is he leaving Dortmund in their current state. At the end of the season he might though.  If BR cant turn things around FSG will have to wait till the end of the season. Those of you speaking about Simeone are just lost in space, he is out of our reach. There are no good managers available in january. BR and the players will have to turn things around themselves. Sacking a manager mid season may have an effect if the team is struggling to avoid relegation, I dont think it has ever happened that a new manager has ever qualified for champions league after taking over a team after the season has started. Correct me if Im wrong. I have one football wish for 2015: An injury free D.Sturridge.