You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

FAO stevebaby

Champ

Guest Pistonbroke

It's the most beautiful sunny Sydney day. I've just been woken up by my favourite pretty nurse, who has just given me my daily Clexane shot.It was completely painless because she's a very good nurse (like all of them.) Breakfast in bed has just been delivered. They make my porridge just the way I like it and even my toast was still warm so the butter melts into it, just the way I like it. I'll be having a couple of visitors later and some herbal medicine while I sit in the lovely garden. The physio- terrorists will be along to practice walking, but that's doing me good and I can feel daily improvement.

Fuck me, If I knew it was going to be this good I would have died long ago.

Have you managed to chat one up yet mate? Keep trying if you haven't. Your attitude is spot on and how a lot of us want to face things, but you are doing what we can only aspire to, thanks for that. Now enjoy that sun, it's 1am here and fucking pissing it down. 

Have you managed to chat one up yet mate? Keep trying if you haven't. Your attitude is spot on and how a lot of us want to face things, but you are doing what we can only aspire to, thanks for that. Now enjoy that sun, it's 1am here and fucking pissing it down. 

Jeez, I'm old enough to be the grandfather of most of them, and there's something a bit creepy about someone my age trying it on with women that young. So I admire from afar and discreetly let my bollocks drop out of my pyjamas when I can. There's another plus for the Hospice....I can get away with stuff that would put me in prison outside hahaha..

• Upvote 1

I'm just a very naughty boy

I'm also a pretty ordinary person really.I don't know any other way to react to this whole business of dying. It's just the way I am. How would you blokes react if it was you? I think most of you would be pretty much just like me.

• Upvote 2

At first when the surgeon delivered the bad news*..."From now we can only offer you palliative care." I thought of throwing myself on the ground and howling at the universe "Why me? Why me? Oh dear God, why me?"

But a bird flew past and I forgot about it

*I had already guessed..

• Upvote 9

Guest Pistonbroke

I'm also a pretty ordinary person really.I don't know any other way to react to this whole business of dying. It's just the way I am. How would you blokes react if it was you? I think most of you would be pretty much just like me.

It's hard to say how one would react unless you are in that situation. Quite a few years back a doctor told me I had the big C after blood tests were done. I just thought "Fuck it, such is life, I don't want to die, but i'm also not frightened and kinda curious about what happens thereafter." Missus was in bits like, then I was given the all clear due to some fuck up, I was more angry about the fuck up than I was about being diagnosed at the time. 

I've got a growing list of people I'd like to take with me. I reckon I'd be the GF's first spree killer.

I've had a life-threatening illness since I was born. My Mum and Dad were told back then to treat every year as a bonus, that seeing ten would be outstanding. I'm past the average life-expectancy, which has itself risen significantly since those days. I've never been given the news you have mate, but I've been most of the way down at various times, and was told in 2010 or 11 that a couple of years left above ground was about par for me if I continued to nosedive.

My brother and I had a private death league going between us for years back in the day, and a no sacred cows policy. Our Grandad nabbed the winning goal for me one year, in another my Mum's neighbour was vetoed by my brother, as he's infirm but used to get up a ladder outside their house to tinker with the roof tiles, and my brother thought I may tamper with it to get myself some low-hanging fruit. I am a fucking unscrupulous cheat, like.

When I was at my lowest ever ebb and seemed to be likely going out, I signed myself up to my own team, thinking that if it was a tight season I may yet nab the winner quite literally at the death. To that effect my plan was for my 'last words' to be one long "Gooooooaaaaaaaaalllllllllll" in the style of a South American football commentator, neatly seguing into a death rattle.

My attitude has generally been similar, because as Mr Vonnegut said "We are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different", and of course I'd like to think that will hold-up in practice as and when the time comes. The thing is though mate, it's easy to be brave from a distance and strong in theory, but it's a bit like saying you'll definitely do a sky dive; you can never know for sure your arse won't go until you get up there and look out for real.

You're jumping out of that plane with a double thumbs up and a smile of pure grace, where some would be clinging to the chair, moaning or even hysterical. Takes someone with a fucktonne of heart and who's attained wisdom to have your approach, and not least someone who's used their life well. That you wear it so lightly only adds to how impressive it is to observe, even in the limited amount we've been privy to.

Surrounded by mates you are, Steve, and I'm quite sure all of us hope we can muster up half your nads in the same position. In or out of our dressing gowns, depending on how fit the nurses are.

• Upvote 14

Some heartwarming, inspirational stuff on this thread. I've been suffering from anxiety this past year partly caused by a cancer scare, because when you're in your 20s you feel immortal. Your life seems to stay the same all the time, you go out at the weekend with the same mates, your parents are still relatively young, your friends are all healthy, then something shakes you up and makes you realise you're actually going to die.

The doctor just said to me once 'we're all going to die, there's nothing we can do about it', and I suppose that's the ultimate truth. It's something we don't think about, but that's the truth.

As my anxiety started to lift I just had an epiphany that worrying about death and worrying about illness is no life at all, so I've just tried to stop. As Bruce Lee's dad says in Dragon The Bruce Lee story:

"We all have inner demons to fight, we call them fear and hatred and anger, if you don't conquer them then a life of a hundred years is a tragedy, if you do then a life of a single day can be a triumph."

It sounds like you're in the latter camp Steve. You're a legend brother.

• Upvote 3

As my anxiety started to lift I just had an epiphany that worrying about death and worrying about illness is no life at all, so I've just tried to stop. As Bruce Lee's dad says in Dragon The Bruce Lee story:

"We all have inner demons to fight, we call them fear and hatred and anger, if you don't conquer them then a life of a hundred years is a tragedy, if you do then a life of a single day can be a triumph."

It wasn't Gordon, was it?

Guest Pistonbroke

I was round one of my best mates this afternoon for our poker afternoon, he has MS and is now wheelchair bound and also has a piss bag. He calls his "English lager" because it tastes and look the same...bless him, the kraut cunt. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Don't go "all in" ffs !

allo-allo-o.gif

We are having a couples poker session (not like you are thinking) next Saturday, my missus is fucking shite at poker. Mind you, so are most of the other women, should be a laugh and a nice little trophy at the end of it and secret santa type pressies. 

We are having a couples poker session (not like you are thinking) next Saturday, my missus is fucking shite at poker. Mind you, so are most of the other women, should be a laugh and a nice little trophy at the end of it and secret santa type pressies. 

Wouldn't mind seeing her flop a nice pair..

Trish-strip-poker-10.gif