You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mignolet

Pureblood

Maybe he is ace in training and Klopp sees potential in him with a better defence in front of him? hard to imagine or believe but you never know.

It could be that we are trying to up his market price, if we do bring in a new keeper in the Summer then Mingolet won't want to be a number 2 (ironically he resembles a number 2 most of the time) and clubs will be alerted to the fact he wants to be a number one, due to a 5 year contract they would have to pay/offer a bit more to tempt him to join them. Like it or not he is still our best keeper (which is rather fucking annoying) and will get game time until the summer, maybe we are gambling on him upping his game before pulling the trigger. 

Yes, but this doesn't make any sense. He had two and a half years left on his contract, we'd have still got £6m-£8m for him if we sold him in the summer. What's he worth now because of his five year deal? He's not suddenly worth £20m. The contract is a huge gamble to probably push up his value by a million or two. What if no-one buys the soft cunt? We've got a turd the size of cat to try and get down the shitter.

As you say, he's not going to be a number two. Clubs rarely have 27 year old number twos, especially not one that has previously been the number one.

Being our best keeper is a bit like being our best left back. He's shite and so is Bogdan. He's a keeper capable of very good saves, as we saw today. But he's also completely lacking the sort of presence and confidence you need to be first choice keeper at a big club. I felt sorry for him today, it's always a terrible sign when you feel sorry for the players. I felt sorry for Borini at times. They're nice lads, they give their all, but they're just simply not fucking good enough.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

Yes, but this doesn't make any sense. He had two and a half years left on his contract, we'd have still got £6m-£8m for him if we sold him in the summer. What's he worth now because of his five year deal? He's not suddenly worth £20m. The contract is a huge gamble to probably push up his value by a million or two. What if no-one buys the soft cunt? We've got a turd the size of cat to try and get down the shitter.

As you say, he's not going to be a number two. Clubs rarely have 27 year old number twos, especially not one that has previously been the number one.

Being our best keeper is a bit like being our best left back. He's shite and so is Bogdan.

It could be all down to making a million or half a million more mate. A contract extension means fuck all unless it entails a wage increase, he was going to be here for another 2 years now it is 7. If we can squeeze even an extra 1 million out of any possible transfer then it only cost us a grand for some overpaid wanker to draw up the new contract. I'm certain we have muppets pulling the strings which control our club, Henry, nice of the cunt to turn up for a game today, obviously business opportunities can not be missed, Ayre who seems to be saving up for a back catalogue of posh motorcycles on the back of our club...........I'm guessing even though they are fucking shit at running a football club they have a keen eye to save/make an extra million. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Every little helps.

Rich people are stingier than us normal plebs mate, they revel in any saving they can make yet don't bat an eyelid when the restaurant bill exceeds a few grand......cunts. 

I don't see how it "protects his value" anyway, even if you try to make that argument for the new contract.

The money that you pay a club to sign their player is basically all determined on the player's value minus the wage you're going to have to pay them, right?  So if you have a player who's on 40k/week, and you can sign him on a new long-term contract for 60k/week, you might offer 10m, where if you thought you could only get him for 80k/week you might only offer 7 or 8m.

So how does signing him to a new long-term contract, presumably with a pay rise, protect his value?  It only makes sense if we somehow lowered his wages or at the very least convinced him to keep them level.  Which I doubt.

I think, though I hope I'm wrong, that someone at the club somehow rates Mignolet and wants him to stay long-term as the backup.  How this is possible is a mystery but it's the only logical explanation for giving him a 5-year contract in the middle of having the worst season by a Liverpool goalkeeper I can remember.

He should have saved the city goal, but he made three fantastic saves which more than made up for it.

He isn't good enough, and can be improved without doubt, but today, had we won, you could have made a strong argument that he could be man of the match.

He had to make three brilliant saves after he gave away a goal because it left our spineless mob dithering all over the park

He had to make three brilliant saves after he gave away a goal because it left our spineless mob dithering all over the park

This is the problem he brings, the players have to work harder to make up for his constant cock-ups. He will keep making them so long as he's allowed to.

Bogdan got dumped for a clanger in goal. Mignolet should have been dumped alongside him. I would think Bogdan has every right to feel aggrieved that Mignolet is getting backed while he was dumped for the same thing.

Sublime? He is never sublime. Not even for 2 seconds.

He made a couple of decent saves, which good (not even great) GKs, do regularly every week. Then he goes back to his immediate toilet flushable standards.

Push his head all the way down the toilet and flush. Endlessly.  

• Upvote 1

I can't understand why dived over the ball if he'd have stood up straight he could have caught it....if you let that in a5-a- side game you would quite rightly get bollocked for it.

In fact scratch that I can understand why he dived over it.....he's fucking shite , and as for he some saying he made up for it with a few decent saves after well that's what he's there for to save shots. For me the only decent save he made was Aguero in the first half the rest he made because the chances came due to his fuck up.

• Upvote 1

Still can't work out why we gave him a new contract. To add about £2m to his value?

Which other clubs would give a five year contract to a 27 year old, on presumably standard "first choice keeper at a club like ours" type wages, back up keeper?

He should have just been punted back to a Norwich/West Brom type club for £6m/£7m in the summer. A club where it doesn't matter if he has a "moment" in most games. 

Back to Sunderland from whence he came. I have no animosity towards him and understand why he would have left the Mackems for us. But if the club does not buy a better keeper to replace him, then we're just going to keep treading water.

I've a horrible feel he won't be going and all this protecting his value stuff is desperate hope.  Who gives a keeper they don't want a five year contract to try and shift him six months later.  Certainly not something I can remember happening before.

Ian "Football manager legend" Ayre.

It makes you wonder though we wouldn't keep him and go out and buy a new keeper would we? I mean part of the reason (the fans were told anyway) that Riena was sold was he was  on £90k a week and this was to much to spend and leave him on the bench so Mongolet is on £60 - 80k a week reportedly this is way to high for a back up keeper surely.

Sublime? He is never sublime. Not even for 2 seconds.

He made a couple of decent saves, which good (not even great) GKs, do regularly every week. Then he goes back to his immediate toilet flushable standards.

Push his head all the way down the toilet and flush. Endlessly.

Agreed, the saves he did make were decent and you would expect any prem keeper to save those.I normally don't like to see one player singled out but there is no way you can defend Mignolet, there is a world class German gk at Barca who we could sign and in the summer it should be a no brainer.

• Downvote 1