You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

West Ham vs Liverpool (Sunday 6th of April 2014)

WhiskeyJar

Carroll you're a cunt you were the only fucker throwing his arms around.  Is Pearce trying to rim the prick.

fucking ridiculous. 'cant jump without punching somebody in the face ey andy? absolute joke it is. by the way, can you finish off in my mouth? i want to swallow every drop"

I was going to say, Jonathan Pearce wasn't half chatting some shite on our highlights there. Should stick to buzzing off robots pieced together by virgins.

On the Flanagan pen, I didn't think it was at the time but the more I've seen of it, I think it's clear the ref got it right. Obviously the keeper gets a touch of the ball, but no way there's enough contact to justify him steaming out of his goal into Flanagan. If he pushed it clear or out for a corner, fair enough, but no way skimming the top of the ball proves he's in control of his body. It's like when you see a player penalised for a bad challenge even though they've made the slightest of contact with the ball. It's simply not enough to negate the foul.

• Upvote 1

A couple of little stats that have slipped by unmentioned.

Gerrards second penalty was our 90th Premier League goal this season. Unbelievable when you think our previous best was 78 and we still have 5 games to go. We may yet make the ton.

Although it ended in reality some time back, our three points today make it mathematically impossible for Utd to retain the title. We are seventeen points ahead of them and they only have five games left. And doesn't that feel good. So pleased that it was us who hammered that final nail into their coffin lid.

It also took to one more goal for Liverpool than Kenny got, he's top 5 now with 173 career goals for us.

Anthony Taylor was at the centre of a controversy during West Ham v Liverpool, overruling the linesman to give West Ham a goal and giving Liverpool a dubious penalty.

The referee received a lot of stick on social media, being the target of jokes and memes.

According to West Ham fan site Claret & Hugh, the referee was attacked in his car by West Ham fans upon leaving Upton Park.

An eye witness told ClaretandHugh: “One bloke led the charge and punched the windscreen several times trying to break it. There was a lot of serious language being used.

“It will be a miracle if  all of that doesn’t go into Mr Taylor’s reports on events during the afternoon.”

Not amazing, but not surprised.

Very glad to see Sakho get 90 under his belt, and Lucas as well., and even Kolo.

Never easy trying to give proper minutes to players in a run-in, but it was important to do so, you never know. All you can do is prepare.

Defence stood up well to shithouse tactics, great to see.

Still don't agree with Gerrarad taking the pens. Honestly, I don't.

Why's that, boss?

Code72-style attention seeking, or actually something valid?

It's a principle thing, not any other reason, and yes it could backfire but...

You look at Sturridge yesterday, or any other day, and he's a confidence player. He found it hard yesterday to get into any sort of rhythm, the game was fast and the surface was tricky, and for players like him and Suarez they were getting the ball in patches, bitty, shitty glimpses of the ball. It's a nightmare to 'get into' a game like that, and there we go, Sturridge off after 70 minutes, confidence a bit low.

Say you give him the pens, or you give Suarez the pens. It gets them involved in the game, they 'wake up', regardless of if they score the pen or miss the pen, they are now very much part of the game. Let's be honest, most pens are scored, so we'd have a striker like Sturridge or Suarez, buzzing off scoring a goal, and being that 'bit' more confident. So, perhaps one of them goes on to score another two goals on the back of that buzz and confidence.

With Gerrard, once he scores that pen, that's great as a short-term win. But that additional confidence and buzz is wasted on a deep lying midfielder. He isn't going to try a chip from 30 yards, he isn't going to hit a volley first time from a corner, he isn't going to be through one-on-one with the keeper.

THAT's my argument, and it's a general one, that strikers should always be given pens because of the knock-on effect of a striker scoring a goal and taking his game to another level and potentially being more confident in front of goal.

But of course, most people view it as some sort of vendetta against Gerrard. Usually very clever lads.

IM happy the way the game went and feel it could be a wake up call which was needed to remind the players there's still a long way to go.

I didn't like the press last week it was almost being made out we already won it by some, that game was a reminder to team they have to work their bollocks off for every win no matter the opposition.

It's a principle thing, not any other reason, and yes it could backfire but...

You look at Sturridge yesterday, or any other day, and he's a confidence player. He found it hard yesterday to get into any sort of rhythm, the game was fast and the surface was tricky, and for players like him and Suarez they were getting the ball in patches, bitty, shitty glimpses of the ball. It's a nightmare to 'get into' a game like that, and there we go, Sturridge off after 70 minutes, confidence a bit low.

Say you give him the pens, or you give Suarez the pens. It gets them involved in the game, they 'wake up', regardless of if they score the pen or miss the pen, they are now very much part of the game. Let's be honest, most pens are scored, so we'd have a striker like Sturridge or Suarez, buzzing off scoring a goal, and being that 'bit' more confident. So, perhaps one of them goes on to score another two goals on the back of that buzz and confidence.

With Gerrard, once he scores that pen, that's great as a short-term win. But that additional confidence and buzz is wasted on a deep lying midfielder. He isn't going to try a chip from 30 yards, he isn't going to hit a volley first time from a corner, he isn't going to be through one-on-one with the keeper.

THAT's my argument, and it's a general one, that strikers should always be given pens because of the knock-on effect of a striker scoring a goal and taking his game to another level and potentially being more confident in front of goal.

But of course, most people view it as some sort of vendetta against Gerrard. Usually very clever lads.

I get where you're coming from, but the flip side of that coin is what happened with Sturridge in the derby. The player misses, and his game goes to shit.

Penalties are all about who handles the pressure best, and in this side that's Gerrard.

• Upvote 5

For me, it's all about actually scoring the penalty, not who scores it. If your best penalty taker is your 'keeper, then he takes 'em.

• Upvote 3